THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns Presser live (four horsemen)

halfsane

This is a great press conference so far, I am as excited as it gets for FA / Draft!

Eric looks a bit out of place up there, but I'll tell ya... we have some good people in our front office and on the sideline finally!

It was a great presser and im loving the guys holmgren is bringing in and the structure that he is trying to achieve ,EM definitely looked out of place but a lot has changed and still changing around him as he loses more authority with each new hire ,its probably strange to him since he was used to doing everything himself so he has to have an adjustment period to soak it all in..

I am quite pleased with what i see so far! GO BROWNS!

I just love listening to Holmgren. He is an EXCELLENT public speaker, makes sense when he talks, and makes you feel comfortable when he discusses whatever topic is flung his way. Heckert also has those characteristics. Mangini sort of looked like the overshadowed little brother but his work has already spoken for him which is what MH looked at when giving him another year.

Exciting stuff!

Mangini looked fine, I don't know where these "out of place" comments are coming from, it's just new great people he's going to be working with, and that's it.

Different perceptions would be my guess ,to me the genie looked somewhat uncomfortable even seemed a little bit awkward and hesitant as to how to answer what he was asked... at least to me..;)

Nevertheless i liked what i seen in theory our front office is stacked with more to come...and mangini will provide solid coaching so lookout squeelers here we come!

It's no secret Mangini is never going to be the featured speaker at a Toast Masters convention....so what.

He communicates with his players and evidently communicated the football side of things well enough to convince Holmgren he is a good football coach who approaches the game the right way.

Holmgren just gave the guy his seal of approval....I would assume keeping him here is a seal of sorts....so maybe it's time to cut the guy some slack.

I don't think the guy is/was as power hungry as portrayed.

I think he is a pretty focused individual who really just wants to win and has never really cared all that much who picks the players and all that sort of stuff.

Hooo Boy. We're in the big leagues now!

Mangini looked happy as a clam. He looked to me as though he just can't believe how lucky he is to be a part of this team of folks.

This is REALLY going to be fun to watch. (And oh, by the way, I feel like my PSL's just doubled in value.)

As long as we're analyzing the facial expressions, what the hell is up with Mike Holmgren's sour looking puss?

I think Eric Mangini has the look that says "FINALLY! These other clowns get to answer their share of the stupid questions and get THEIR share of the scrutiny! I can just COACH!"

It kind of looks like EM has his right thumb up he butt of MH making him look a little unhappy, but happy at the same time. It makes he happy to see all the new guys though, each one is experienced and has been to a Superbowl. That in itself makes us fans and the players excited for whats to come.

Man I hope Mike Florio watched the press conference. He will never admit it but he must have a crush on Mangini, he will indeed probably bash Mangini somehow in his next article though.

Color me impressed after watching that press conference in its entirety.

Let's start with Holmgren. Finally a voice in the organization. Finally. The thing I like the most about Holmgren to this point is how he commands a room. You just can't help but sense his control over the media. There's an instant level of respect there that can't help but insulate the rest of those guys on the dais when it comes to the controversial decisions they will help to make down the road. There's more to say about Holmgren that I like but that's what mostly distinguishes itself for me.

Next is Heckert. Like Savage, he's not media savvy. But that's irrelevant thanks to the guy mentioned above. He'll simply do what Savage's job should have been: scout the hell out of the college players and begin to set the draft board. What I like about Heckert at first glance is the clear level of enthusiasm he has for the job at hand. That will serve him well. Holmgren's ringing endorsement of him certainly doesn't hurt either.

Wiedmeier is a mystery man to me, but at the same time he clearly brings a calm demeanor to the table. He'll be the business side of this organization, no question. Like Heckert, it's apparent Holmgren really takes to this guy. This guy's job will be as important as any in the next few years with the salary cap in question. Another good hire.

Finally, Mangini can just do what he does best: coach the football team. He's clearly not comfortable in front of the press. But again, like Heckert, that is completely irrelevant. Like 'peen said, he can communicate to the football team and that's all that matters now.

This is a great combination of football and business sense. We're on the right track, no question.

All I can say is "Wow".

I watched the whole thing and it wasn't hard to do considering my first observation:

Mike Holmgren is in charge. I suppose it isn't that others haven't "tried" to be in charge but I suppose that when it's someone that carries a lot of respect around the league,...the press shuts up and the boss controls the room. Mike Holmgren says we're not going to discuss Donte Stallworth today...then damn it...we AREN'T talking about Donte today.

I have always been impressed with Philly's approach to player personnel. They draft smart. They don't let guys like TO hold them hostage (but they aren't afraid to take a chance if it's a good deal and the player might help them). That said, Heckert seems like a great fit. Did you hear him in his straight denial that his refusal to come here last year had to do with Mangini? They didn't know each other and last week it was reported that they couldn't exist together but wait, they can.

Ultimately, I can't help but feel better about Eric Mangini when I see him surrounded by those three people who can worry about things that he frankly can't do on his own. He looks relieved. I think that if you noticed, Mike Holmgren said a lot of nice things in passing about the coach. He said that while he CHOSE to try and be the GM as well as coach...EM was thrust into it. I'm starting to get the sense that Mangini didn't have a lot of help around and this could wind up being very good for him in his growth. These aren't just warm bodies....these are competent football people who are PROVEN.

All I can say is "Wow".

I watched the whole thing and it wasn't hard to do considering my first observation:

Mike Holmgren is in charge. I suppose it isn't that others haven't "tried" to be in charge but I suppose that when it's someone that carries a lot of respect around the league,...the press shuts up and the boss controls the room. Mike Holmgren says we're not going to discuss Donte Stallworth today...then damn it...we AREN'T talking about Donte today.

I have always been impressed with Philly's approach to player personnel. They draft smart. They don't let guys like TO hold them hostage (but they aren't afraid to take a chance if it's a good deal and the player might help them). That said, Heckert seems like a great fit. Did you hear him in his straight denial that his refusal to come here last year had to do with Mangini? They didn't know each other and last week it was reported that they couldn't exist together but wait, they can.

Ultimately, I can't help but feel better about Eric Mangini when I see him surrounded by those three people who can worry about things that he frankly can't do on his own. He looks relieved. I think that if you noticed, Mike Holmgren said a lot of nice things in passing about the coach. He said that while he CHOSE to try and be the GM as well as coach...EM was thrust into it. I'm starting to get the sense that Mangini didn't have a lot of help around and this could wind up being very good for him in his growth. These aren't just warm bodies....these are competent football people who are PROVEN.

Well, there's already a distinct difference between how the press chooses to treat Mangini and Holmgren. During the season, EM had to answer the same question more than once, sometimes three times, when he initially answered with "I'm not going to discuss it at this time." All it took to shut everyone up today was for the Big Show to say it once in regards to Stallworth. That's respect, but it's also a good sign for the troubling times ahead. Decisions made going forward will not be portrayed in the propaganda-ish way of the past. Of that, I'm certain. That will only continue to portray the organization in a favorable light. And, believe me, in this town that's an unbelievably tough accomplishment.

I also noticed that when Mike said he wanted 'everyone' to be working toward the same goal, he specifically included the media, gesturing in their direction. Very Interesting. We'll see how that goes over time.

Just looking at the pic and how the guys are dressed....

Wiedmeier.....he looks professional in a GQ kind of way and could make a $350 suit look good.

Holmgren...trying to look hip and not all that worried.

Mangini...looks like a coach should.

Heckert....dump the crappy suits, or suits for that matter because unlike Wiedmeier, he could make a $1400 suit look sloppy and unkept.

The guy needs to stick to polos.

Archived