THE BROWNS BOARD

Holmgren dodges Quinn question, again

mopaji

When asked what he thought after watching the film on Quinn, Holmgren answered by talking about his injury instead of any type of analysis. Although did mention that he does know QBs. I still strongly believe his "tough decision" is trading Quinn. What do you all think of his reluctance to comment on Quinn? Especially when he has no problem at least complimenting Cribbs, Harrison, and fan favorite, DA.

I don't read all that much in to it at this point, though Quinn would have been a guy he scouted and should have some opinions on, so a no comment is a big comment.

As my Mama said, "If you can't say something good about a person, you best just keep your mouth zipped".

Mama Ballpeen....1926-1997

I caught this as well. He had an opportunity to complement Quinn and passed at the chance. I wish someone would have asked a follow-up when he said that he scouted Quinn at the combine a few years back. Not that Holmgren would have given us a straight answer, but I would like to know what he saw back then.

The guy is the president of a hundred+ million dollar entertainment business that has restaurant/licensing/real estate/ etc..... divisions on top of a recruiting/talent evaluating/personnel/legal etc etc etc organization.

ONE player while important in position and perception to both the onfield/team mates/staff/fans/media etc..... is not the top of his agenda less than 30 days into a position he has never been in.

The organization by deeds this offseason will show its answer to that question.

When asked what he thought after watching the film on Quinn, Holmgren answered by talking about his injury instead of any type of analysis. Although did mention that he does know QBs. I still strongly believe his "tough decision" is trading Quinn. What do you all think of his reluctance to comment on Quinn? Especially when he has no problem at least complimenting Cribbs, Harrison, and fan favorite, DA.

He also said he wants to talk to Quinn personally and that he hasn't looked at him enough to make a decision. His reluctance to comment on Quinn has to do with a) he's only been here a short time B ) he hasn't specifically analyzed Quinn c) Quinn is hurt and still being evaluated d) he hasn't talked to Quinn "since the combines"

Holmgren didn't dodge the question as much as he implied "I don't have enough information to make a decision yet."

some of you need to adjust to holmgren, he says what he means, he doesn't dance around with words. Just like when he said mangini would get a fair shot, he meant it. He said he hasn't talked to looked at BQ much, and chances are that is exactly what he means. theres no hidden message there, much like everything he says. its straitforward black and white. don't look for hidden meanings with what he says, because he doesn't have any

some of you need to adjust to holmgren, he says what he means, he doesn't dance around with words. Just like when he said mangini would get a fair shot, he meant it. He said he hasn't talked to looked at BQ much, and chances are that is exactly what he means. theres no hidden message there, much like everything he says. its straitforward black and white. don't look for hidden meanings with what he says, because he doesn't have any

That is a good point but based on what he didn't say last week I was able to predict Mangini staying and the GM guy getting hired. He doesn't dance, true. But he also knew enough about every other player he was asked about to at least say something good about them. It just doesn't add up. Especially when the player in question is as popular as Quinn is. And the guy being questioned is a QB guru.

well, BQ didn't really do anything to stand out like cribbs or harrison, so its not expected for MH to have a firm grasp of his abilities. I expect him to have some talks/meetings with Quinn, and review some of his film a bit more, then have some comments on him. in the end tho, Mangini will be the one that chooses his QB.

He also said he wants to talk to Quinn personally and that he hasn't looked at him enough to make a decision. His reluctance to comment on Quinn has to do with a) he's only been here a short time B ) he hasn't specifically analyzed Quinn c) Quinn is hurt and still being evaluated d) he hasn't talked to Quinn "since the combines"

Holmgren didn't dodge the question as much as he implied "I don't have enough information to make a decision yet."

i was just about to post the same thing. mh was very clear about this and i don't see how anyone could claim that he was dodging a question about bq. mh is the most honest and upfront guy i've seen in berea in a loooooooooooooooong time.

I think both DA and BQ are going to be traded neither guy works well in mangini's system ,they are both spread formation passers...

A couple of weeks back Holmgren was quoted as saying he didn't like the idea of Qbs getting the quick pull, everyone thought it was about Mangini. I'm thinking he saw a QB that had impressed him at some point play poorly with a concussion then come back to win 3 of 5 only to be yanked and the Browns fell apart.... You never know. I expect one of them will remain with the team, an experienced vet will be brought in to compete for the starting spot and a developmental kid will be drafted on day two unless the GM agrees Ratliff is the developmental guy.

Is there any kind of QB that would "work well" in Mangini's system? The system needs some help a single QB may not be able to fix before it's passing well. I'm betting the new GM and Prez will be keeping a close eye on Daboll and Mangini's "system, with the idea of having some input if they don't like what they see.

I always thought that Quinn was the fan favorite, what have I been missing?

I assume you're being sarcastic about DA. Holmgren has at least until the draft to evaluate Quinn, and like keeping EM, he's not about to make snap decisions.

Guaranteed: one or the other qb will be gone- if you think it's Quinn, mucho bueno. IMHO it's DA that's gonna get the heave-ho, and it's gone far beyond the point of keeping on beating a very dead horse.

How would you know they sucked then?

How many times have you ever heard a coach say something like " we just don't stand much of a chance when we have to play this guy"??

You usually can tell what is felt by what isn't said, but as others noted, it may simply be a lack of information at this point to make any real comments.

I am just not sure MH is a guy who lacks information.

QB is a fairly key position. With all that happened with this team concerning the QB position, I find if hard to believe has hasn't spent at least a few hours watching some tape to at least begin to get a idea of what he faces at that critical position.

Holmgren and the new GM both stressed that passing is the way to win in the NFL. With that in mind I find it hard to believe that Quinn will be the starter. I have a feeling we will either obtain a QB thru free agency, a trade, or through the draft. Both Quinn and Anderson have shown they are not in our future.

If he's anything like my son, there's no such thing as too much information. Also, Mike seems to put high value on talking with people as a component of a thorough analysis.

I assume you're being sarcastic about DA. Holmgren has at least until the draft to evaluate Quinn, and like keeping EM, he's not about to make snap decisions.

Guaranteed: one or the other qb will be gone- if you think it's Quinn, mucho bueno. IMHO it's DA that's gonna get the heave-ho, and it's gone far beyond the point of keeping on beating a very dead horse.

I was being sarcastic about DA. There should be punctuation for sarcasm, maybe reverse quotations?

How many times have you ever heard a coach say something like " we just don't stand much of a chance when we have to play this guy"??

You usually can tell what is felt by what isn't said, but as others noted, it may simply be a lack of information at this point to make any real comments.

QB is a fairly key position. With all that happened with this team concerning the QB position, I find if hard to believe has hasn't spent at least a few hours watching some tape to at least begin to get a idea of what he faces at that critical position.

I agree with you but I just shed a tear for Holmgren. Can you imagine having to watch a few hours of film on these guys? And its your job to fix it?

I was being sarcastic about DA. There should be punctuation for sarcasm, maybe reverse quotations?

~How about these guys?~

Good idea, actually.

You're probably right, Larry. However, if DA leaves this doesn't mean that BQ lines up behind Center on opening day 2010.

I notice he didn't dodge the question about Derek Anderson. Oh wait, he never mentioned Derek Anderson.

Actually, in his first presser he was asked about the QBs and he mentioned that he remembers DA killing his hawks in 07.

Actually, in his first presser he was asked about the QBs and he mentioned that he remembers DA killing his hawks in 07.

LMAO - he had to go back to that 2007 year ya'll still live in. LOL.

I think it is very obvious nobody is asking about DA any longer. But you keep the faith pojami.

LMAO - he had to go back to that 2007 year ya'll still live in. LOL.

I think it is very obvious nobody is asking about DA any longer. But you keep the faith pojami.

I don't want either one. I was telling you what Walrus said. Simmer down now Hoss.

I always thought that Quinn was the fan favorite, what have I been missing?

You're not missing anything.

i've been following the Browns since Ernie Green gave up his body to block for Jim Brown, and this QB situation is the weirdest thing i can remember. Never can i recall a situation where the coaches and the teammates favor a certain player that the fans despise, while the competing player is a fan favorite that the coaches and team seem indifferent on. It is bizarre.

If Quinn was that good, it would be a no-brainer to annoint him. If DA was that bad, it would be a no-brainer to cut him. That predicament has been around for a couple seasons now.

You're not missing anything.

i've been following the Browns since Ernie Green gave up his body to block for Jim Brown, and this QB situation is the weirdest thing i can remember. Never can i recall a situation where the coaches and the teammates favor a certain player that the fans despise, while the competing player is a fan favorite that the coaches and team seem indifferent on. It is bizarre.

If Quinn was that good, it would be a no-brainer to annoint him. If DA was that bad, it would be a no-brainer to cut him. That predicament has been around for a couple seasons now.

Since when is it predetermined that DA is favored by teammates and coaches?

Seems to me that has been propagated by a few members on this board and is now being construed as fact.

Can someone supply evidence of this supposed fact?

Archived