THE BROWNS BOARD

Kiffin bolts Tennessee

ballpeen

I don't want to live in a world where Al Davis is right about anything, so I will comfort myself with the thought that he says the same thing about everyone he fires, and he just happened to get one right.

Let me just say this about that: I'm actually not infuriated about the move (okay, I'm not infuriated anymore...last night I was pretty infuriated). From USC's perspective, they're getting the same thing that Tennessee got last year: a young coach who can put together the best coaching staff in college football (even though he has done nothing to merit the job on his own). And in fairness, USC couldn't control when Carroll would leave, and Kiffin couldn't control when the USC job (which I believe when he says is one of his dream jobs, and I thought he would make a run at it when Carroll left, which I thought would be a few years from now).

And unless Mike Hamilton is able to drive a dump truck full of money to Will Muschamp's house and convince him to leave Texas (which might be Hamilton's only way of saving his job), Tennessee is going to do the exact same thing to another school in the next week or so. Coaches leave; the timing of the thing is just wildly inconvenient for us.

There is one thing that bothers me about the situation, and it's the actions of Orgeron (and almost certainly Kiffin) after agreeing to go to USC:

Sources say Orgeron telling UT enrollees not to go to class

>>Former Tennessee recruiting coordinator Ed Orgeron has contacted multiple UT mid-term enrollees and encouraged them not to attend class today so that they can easily leave UT and enroll at Southern California, multiple sources told the News Sentinel.

Orgeron, who joined USC's staff when Lane Kiffin was hired as coach on Tuesday, did not immediately return a text message from the News Sentinel seeking comment.

By attending class today, the nine mid-term enrollees, who have been at UT since Monday, would have to follow strict transfer rules, which include sitting out a year.

It is unclear how many, or which, prospects Orgeron contacted.<<

That's a problem. You want to leave for your dream job? That happens. But don't sew salt in the field on your way out.

Dennis

Just as a reminder, the NCAA is still sniffing around USC's recruiting of Reggie Bush. Ed Orgeron was the recrtuiting coordinator at the time, and Lane Kiffin was the lead offensive recruiter. Let's just hope that having all of the major players back at the scene of the crime gives them the motivation to bring down the Hammer of God and turn USC into Alabama from, say, 1991-2008.

• 6 months later...
Just as a reminder, the NCAA is still sniffing around USC's recruiting of Reggie Bush. Ed Orgeron was the recrtuiting coordinator at the time, and Lane Kiffin was the lead offensive recruiter. Let's just hope that having all of the major players back at the scene of the crime gives them the motivation to bring down the Hammer of God and turn USC into Alabama from, say, 1991-2008.

Ask and ye shall receive.

Archived