THE BROWNS BOARD

Thoughts on Quinn

Koa

For the few of you (one obviously being Trollbergh) who said Quinn played "terrible" are, for lack of a better word, idiots. Instead of making your opinions based on stats you see on nfl.com why don't you look at it in this perspective:

-He took 1 (unavoidable) sack the entire game even though the Bill's blitzed nearly every passing down.

-He walked out of a hostile stadium with a victory.

-He committed zero turnovers.

-He yet again managed the game efficiently with poise and zero mental mistakes.

Even though he didn't play as sharp as last week, he showed the leadership to make me very happy with his performance. If you haters can only respond with his passer rating I suggest you find a noose and the nearest light pole. You're all awesome, goodnight. Except Trollbergh. Gay. Very, very, flamboyantly gay.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The point from the SAD ("Save-A-DA") foundation is that the Quinn fun bunch would have been highly critical of DA had he put up similar numbers. ("14 of 36? Yup, yet another game from DA with less than half his passes complete. He was lucky to not have had at least 2 picked off. He sucks.")

Difference is Quinn's in his second start.

When you use that lens, there is reason for optimism from last night. Has "the kid" arrived? Nope, not yet. We won't really know much until year's end and even then it will be a pretty limited (8 games) body of work.

Agree. He's had 2 starts, both in prime time on national TV. Not many have had to start their career under that type of pressure.

It's just sooo nice not to have a QB controversy any longer and we can look forward to watching Quinn grow, which he will.

One of the things I really like about Quinn is his composure. He looks like his head is in the game and not in the hype. It's almost as though he walked into the room and said, "Calm down everybody, we're going to get there." He got REAL lucky a couple of times last night but it was GOOD luck and a nice change for the Browns. I'll take more of that and then some any day of the week.

For the few of you (one obviously being Trollbergh) who said Quinn played "terrible" are, for lack of a better word, idiots. Instead of making your opinions based on stats you see on nfl.com why don't you look at it in this perspective:

-He took 1 (unavoidable) sack the entire game even though the Bill's blitzed nearly every passing down.

-He walked out of a hostile stadium with a victory.

-He committed zero turnovers.

-He yet again managed the game efficiently with poise and zero mental mistakes.

Even though he didn't play as sharp as last week, he showed the leadership to make me very happy with his performance. If you haters can only respond with his passer rating I suggest you find a noose and the nearest light pole. You're all awesome, goodnight. Except Trollbergh. Gay. Very, very, flamboyantly gay.

BULLSEYE!

He did not play well nor was he efficient. He had a bad game just own up to it and that he was lucky on turnovers and bad reads. It was his second game no big deal. Buffalo watched tape of his game against denver where he had only 1 throw past 10 yards and played tight coverage.

He started out like crap and honestly was lucky to finish without a game ending turnover. His comp rating which shep and others like to point at and qb rating was terrible. No tds.

Greythan the "lens" is exactly right, because this is BQ he is getting a break. He will play another terrible team this sunday so we will see if he can bounce back statistically. Quinn did not win this game even though edwards handed us field position in the entire first half. WE as a TEAM were anemic.

Quinn looked like the same guy he was in big bowl games in college.

He did not play well nor was he efficient. He had a bad game just own up to it and that he was lucky on turnovers and bad reads. It was his second game no big deal. Buffalo watched tape of his game against denver where he had only 1 throw past 10 yards and played tight coverage.

He started out like crap and honestly was lucky to finish without a game ending turnover. His comp rating which shep and others like to point at and qb rating was terrible. No tds.

Greythan the "lens" is exactly right, because this is BQ he is getting a break. He will play another terrible team this sunday so we will see if he can bounce back statistically. Quinn did not win this game even though edwards handed us field position in the entire first half. WE as a TEAM were anemic.

Just when I thought we had our resident BQ hater in Lum, Sev comes strolling in.

It wasn't that bad sev... Buffalo blitzed every passing down and our O-line didn't do a good job of protecting him from that. Yet, only 1 sack the entire game.

Obviously, he didn't have his best game (can you really say that after 2 starts? but you get the point) But what impressed me was his pocket presence. Kid looked like he's been playing NFL football for a decade. Nothing fazes this kid. How many times last night was the D all up in his face, and he was able to get the ball out anyways. DA would take at least 5 sacks last night with that pressure and his happy feet. Quinn is the real deal, and he didn't have his best game, so what, we won.

come on Adam BQ completed 38% if that was Da with 2 near picks and no tds he would have been cremated. BQ threw under pressure bad throws that were lucky they were not picks, and he threw into coverage. Yes he had a beautiful touch throw to harrison but DA makes great throws in games also.

This is the hypocricy in full effect right now. Its his second game we will have more to look at but quinn did not win the game buffalo lost the game. The QB spot and franchise tag is not over by a mile.

38% comp rating and no tds? really this is quinns team? right. Maybe it will be maybe it wont.

DA is known for his quick release so no conjecture on what DA would have done or taken sacks when that is exactly what he is credited for.

come on Adam BQ completed 38% if that was Da with 2 near picks and no tds he would have been cremated. BQ threw under pressure bad throws that were lucky they were not picks, and he threw into coverage. Yes he had a beautiful touch throw to harrison but DA makes great throws in games also.

This is the hypocricy in full effect right now. Its his second game we will have more to look at but quinn did not win the game buffalo lost the game. The QB spot and franchise tag is not over by a mile.

38% comp rating and no tds? really this is quinns team? right. Maybe it will be maybe it wont.

DA is known for his quick release so no conjecture on what DA would have done or taken sacks when that is exactly what he is credited for.

I guarantee you if we had LOST this game...or if BQ hadn't gotten them into position for the final FG...or if one of those ALMOST INT's had actually been caught...the final result would be questions...but then again...we are talking GAME 2 for BQ vs GAME 24 for DA. Go back and look at DA's second start and then talk a little more. It was one of DA's BETTER games and he still had 2 INT's. He had exactly 1 first down after the Ravens took the lead in the 3rd Quarter. THAT is what we remember and are comparing to.

Even on a BAD game...BQ had ZERO turnovers and led the team to 13 4th quarter points (20 in two weeks).

The QB spot and franchise tag is not over by a mile.

Who knows if Quinn is the guy? We know DA is not, so while your comment is correct, it should be noted that DA is no longer in the conversation.

All those blitzes and no INT's.

No fumbled snaps.

How many illegal procedure penatlies did we have?

Little victories. He has the arm to make all the throws -- we know that for sure.

This team is more competant under Quinn. I'll take what I can get.

His QB rating was terrible? But still better than DA's rating for the season. So then DA must have been horrible all season?

We might as well hold are breathe. No matter how bad or good BQ plays there are a select few who will throw him under the bus. Where was they at when there lover DA was playing horrible? All they wanted to do was say it was the drop balls or the D. The QB has to be the leader of the team. Look at DA and BQ throghout the whole game. Ask yourself, who looks better under pressure, who has better intangibles, who can read a defense better, and who comands in the huddle better. Everybody was in the right formation and when they weren't he motioned them in the right spot. Overall he did fine when the pressure that was on him. He made a couple of bad throws but who hasn't, just don't make them in a bad spot and crumble when we need you the most like DA. To me BQ looks like a leader where DA doesn't.

DA had sub 60 QBR in 8 of 26 starts. In those 8 games, the Browns were 1-7 (only win was Buffalo last year).

DA had EITHER less than 50% completions OR at least 2 INT's in 13 of 26 starts!!! The Browns were 2-11 in those games.

Now, tell me how BQ compares?

He has only 1 game with less than 50% completions and WE WON!!!

He has yet to throw an INT (close don't count according to Lummy...at least when it comes to DA) in 2 starts (DA had only 8 NO INT games in 26 starts!).

Sorry, even in a BAD game, BQ showed up DA!!!

Sev's got a hard on for Quinn. Just deal with it. He's young (Sev that is) and isn't mature enough to admit when he's wrong. So, he'll stick to his hate for all that Quinn represents because he probably had sand kicked in his face one time too many as a young lad.

So, forget educating Sev. Its impossible. Why? Because he has all the answers already.

Vegas said it best:

Who knows if Quinn is the guy? We know DA is not, so while your comment is correct, it should be noted that DA is no longer in the conversation.

Give up Sev. Give up. I'm SURE its affecting your ability to enjoy being a Browns fan. Sit back, relax, and enjoy watching the Quinn experiment. We'll all be with you on ripping the guy if he's looking like DA after 20+ starts.

He will play another terrible team this sunday so we will see if he can bounce back statistically.

You're such a joke at this point, its really pathetic.

In this one sentence, you sum up yourself as a poster on this topic.

Point one. You spend a ton of time in this thread ripping BQ's passer stats and giving no credit for the win. You spent an equal amount of time defending DA's play through intangible bullshit about failures from his supporting cast. Nice balance. Finally, you then allude to Quinn seeing if he'll "bounce back statistically" this coming week. Do you or don't you value the statistics? Its impossible to tell.

Point two. Here you go again with loose statements. What is this terrible team stuff. Denver is in first place in their division. Yes, their defense ranks statistically low but they're leading their division at 6-4. Buffalo was at home, playing for their season, and sitting at 5-4 when we played them. Their defense ranks 13th in the NFL. Who are these "terrible" teams we're playing? Or do you mean those teams we played last year like Cincinnati, Miami, and St Louis where DA posted the vast majority of his numbers?

Wake up. You are in over your head and the water's deep.

I find this a little frustrating because I'm a quarterback nut... but Quinn played a successful game yesterday, Sev.

John Taylor at OBR summed it up really close to what I said. In fact, Taylor said he was MORE impressed with Qunn last night than in the opener. He played against a good defense... on the road... in a must-win game for the other team... in 20 degrees and windy... when they were throwing EVERYTHING at him including UFO defenses and Kawika blitzes in his face... and he handled it. He didn't throw four picks, he didn't fumble, and he didn't panic.

The kid is poised and he has fantastic pocket awareness. He extends plays. He makes first downs on designed runs. He can flat out play quarterback at an NFL level, game after game.

After the weird 1 of 8 start... in which he really never threw a bad pass... Quinn was 13 of 28 for 179 yards. I'd guess that 8 of those were throwaways of some kind, because he was obviously coached to do that a lot. And under the circumstances, I think that's a good start by a young quarterback.

I said last week that 12 of 24 for 135 and no picks might be a winning game for Quinn. After the weird start, he did better than that. Nobody was going to light it up in that weather on the road. It was going to come down to turnovers.

It was a second straight good game for Quinn. I expect better numbers next game.

shep that sure was "weird" that he missed on all his throws. How weird. It was also "weird" that he couldn't throw a deep ball anywhere close to a receiver all night.

Quinn did not capitalize on any of the 4 gifts from the Bills, had more backwards plays than forwards plays in the redzone, and again failed to move the team when they needed it most...but this time was bailed out by an incredible FG kick by Dawson and a bad miss by Buffalo.

Also, it wasn't 20 degrees, and it wasn't windy. The low temp in Buffalo last night was 28 and the wind peaked at 6 mph.

The Bills blitzed more than the Broncos, who blitzed about never, but I expect the blitz numbers to continue to rise until he can actually throw a deep pass in the zip code of a receiver.

His pocket awareness consisted of Twenty-Two incomplete passes including lobbing up a couple lame ducks under pressure for anyone to take a stab at in crunch time.

In summation, Quinn sucked nuts and was handed the game on a silver platter. A couple more games like that could land his ass back on the bench. Lucky for him he's got another shitty defense coming up so the Browns will probably be able to run it again next week.

.......and shep if you've had to take a step down from Lane Adkins down to John Taylor to find positive BQ tidbits then you are nearing the bottom of the barrel.

One thing I noticed time and time again last night was that Quinn is much more apt at making a quick decision to throw the ball away when the play is a bust. DA would have held on to the ball and taken the sack.... (which on the Brown's first possession would have pushed them out of FG range). On a given play, Quinn analyzes the field and the situation much faster.

Point one. You spend a ton of time in this thread ripping BQ's passer stats and giving no credit for the win. You spent an equal amount of time defending DA's play through intangible bullshit about failures from his supporting cast. Nice balance. Finally, you then allude to Quinn seeing if he'll "bounce back statistically" this coming week. Do you or don't you value the statistics? Its impossible to tell.

They opened up the playbook for Quinn and not only did he fail hit anything deep, he also failed to maintain his completion percentage by a long shot.

Wasn't completion percentage the main reason to play Quinn? Wasn't that the rallying cry?

Put the pressure on Quinn and he'll miss his receiver or simply chuck it up into the middle of the field aimlessly. The book is coming out.

In this tryout for starting QB next year, Quinn has a long ways to go to show he's got what it takes to make an offense go.

...and by the way, Derek Anderson had 5 TD passes on his resume by his 2nd start.

They opened up the playbook for Quinn and not only did he fail hit anything deep, he also failed to maintain his completion percentage by a long shot.

Wasn't completion percentage the main reason to play Quinn? Wasn't that the rallying cry?

Put the pressure on Quinn and he'll miss his receiver or simply chuck it up into the middle of the field aimlessly. The book is coming out.

In this tryout for starting QB next year, Quinn has a long ways to go to show he's got what it takes to make an offense go.

...and by the way, Derek Anderson had 5 TD passes on his resume by his 2nd start.

I believe the rally cry was the 3-5 record under DA. Maybe I'm wrong?

One thing I noticed time and time again last night was that Quinn is much more apt at making a quick decision to throw the ball away when the play is a bust. DA would have held on to the ball and taken the sack....

yeah the least sacked QB in the entire NFL would have probably taken a sack in that situation... :lol:

I did not say he played terrible. I said that IF DA played that way most people would rip him. Though DA got a pass in Buffalo last year also. I also said hard to bitch when you win (though lots did when DA won). I also said I will wait until the end of the season to make an opinion one way or another. I want to see BQ do what DA could not, be consistant.

People act like DA never lead the Browns down the field for a 55 yard FG attempt. Now drops matter. Now coaching matters. DA had several games where he played well, ESPECIALLY when he had very few starts under his belt. I want to see BQ be consistant and I want to see how he plays 10, 12 games into his career. So I guess I will have to wait until next year to have a real body of work.

The Browns have decided DA is not the answer. I can live with that, he will get a shot somewhere else. I want to see if BQ is the answer. I WILL NOT just assume he is based on what I have seen. If you want to hold your QB to high standards then hold him to high standards. Most are predisposed to think BQ is great. Like everybody said about DA....PROVE IT over a body of work.

So far one good game and one not so good game. On a side note, Obviously BE dropping the ball had nothing to do with DA.

Archived