THE BROWNS BOARD

Thoughts on Quinn

Koa

No, Anderson did NOT have 5 TDs by his second start. His first three starts came in 2006. Like Quinn, it was an in-season change.

Go check it out.

(Hint: He had a 63.1 passer rating in 2006 off those three starts.)

Anderson had 2 TDs vs KC, 1 vs Pittsburgh, and 2 vs Baltimore. Baltimore being his 2nd start. Try again shep.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They opened up the playbook for Quinn and not only did he fail hit anything deep, he also failed to maintain his completion percentage by a long shot.

Wasn't completion percentage the main reason to play Quinn? Wasn't that the rallying cry?

Put the pressure on Quinn and he'll miss his receiver or simply chuck it up into the middle of the field aimlessly. The book is coming out.

In this tryout for starting QB next year, Quinn has a long ways to go to show he's got what it takes to make an offense go.

...and by the way, Derek Anderson had 5 TD passes on his resume by his 2nd start.

I can't help myself...but blatant ignorance cannot be ignored!!!

By DA's second start he had

3 TD, 3 INT, 2 fumbles (1 lost) for a total of 4 TURNOVERS

BQ has

2 TD, 0 INT, 0 fumbles

DA was 0-2, BQ is 1-1

DEAL WITH IT!!!

Lum, I know that YOU know that I'm right. Apples to apples, Quinn survived this kind of game while Anderson did not. So we'll just leave it at that.

Shep, you're rationalizing with a mook that's bound to argue when Quinn has a 40% completion/70 rating... in a Super Bowl... after he made a play to win it...

He's simply not cognizant enough to understand that DA doesn't have/never will have the pocket presence, leadership, and clutch play ability that BQ can potentially give us.

Yeah you're wrong. According to Tony Grossi and the rest of BQ Nation, Quinn needed to play because Anderson's completion percentage was too low and because Quinn would instantly improve it.

Last week it was about wins and losses, this week its about completion %.

Hell you must model your consentancy after DA.

Yeah you're wrong. According to Tony Grossi and the rest of BQ Nation, Quinn needed to play because Anderson's completion percentage was too low and because Quinn would instantly improve it.

Connect the dots Sally. What did his deplorable completion percentage lead to? His record. If he had a sub-par % but managed to exude other qualities to be 8-0 he'd still have his job.

Connect the dots Sally. What did his deplorable completion percentage lead to? His record. If he had a sub-par % but managed to exude other qualities to be 8-0 he'd still have his job.

And if Quinn can get another 4 or 5 games handed to him on a silver platter, he may be able to keep his job.

No Grossi said that the reason for the switch was because DA's completion % was too low. He said it last week.

LOL, I like how you left out the part about your consistancy being modeled after DA.

The only reason Grossi would care about completion % is that it affects the win loss record. Come on, even you have to know that.

To be fair MANY on this board said you can not compare stats from 2006 season because it was with a HORRIBLE line, no running game and receivers that could not catch until last year. So to do a fair comparision with teams of similar talent you should compare to last year. DA's first 8 games were good. Second 8 not so good. Wait and see what BQ does in the same time period.

I find it funny that when making arguements for DA comparisions to 2006 were not valid BUT they are when comparing to BQ. Kind of funny.

As far as leadership goes. I have not looked up the stats but DA lead the Browns to many winning drives and even more opportunities for wins. Browns beat Oakland if Dawson makes a kick like he did against the Bills. BQ did not win the game last night, Edwards drove his team for a much easier FG attempt at a win than BQ did for the browns. Difference is that DAWSON is great and won the game.

I understand the anti-DA and Pro-BQ stuff. But I recall people saying they would look at BQ the SAME way they looked at DA. I don't think that most do that. I see people say that DA played a decent game against the Giants this year, When he played a GREAT game against the giants this year. And then turn around and say that BQ played good last night. Hardly objective. BQ played well enough to win, what would you have said if the Bills make a much easier FG and one they usually hit? That the defense that caused 4 tournovers lost the game? Where is the bitching about the offense not putting the ball in the endzone with great field position? My god if DA only got FGs out of that field postition people would be calling for his head.

Much like I want from a QB, be consistant.

Pumpkin pumper, we get your point. Quinn has the armstrength to throw a ball past the linebackers, yes.

Now he just needs to aim one of those towards a receiver.

This ain't Notre Dame anymore where you can lob one out there and let Samardzija outjump a DB from Navy.

Has everyone noticed Lumnuts new avatar? Correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears that he either broke wind in a coworkers cubicle or is suffering from the "Gambled & lost" breaking of wind and has to deal with his own milk dud situation. LMFAO

No Grossi said that the reason for the switch was because DA's completion % was too low. He said it last week.

Among other reasons ... like ...

Throwing too many picks

locking onto receivers

getting the ball batted down 3+ times per game at the line

fumbling snaps

not getting guys lined up causing many offsides penalties

Hanging receivers out to try and getting blasted

not being able to put any touch on short throws

Lets take a look at what Quinn has done different in two starts:

How many offsides penalties have we had the last two games?

How many times have we had to call timeout because DA can't manage the clock?

How many times have we had to call timeout because DA can't manage the players?

How many interceptions have there been?

How many fumbled snaps?

How many balls batted down?

How many scoring drives in the 4th quarter?

How many 3 and outs?

see where I'm going with this?

Y'know, I used to think Lum was a figment of someone's imagination.

But I no longer believe that.

No one's imagination could POSSIBLY be this ignorant or disturbed.

This Lumbergh persona surely is the result of an incredible inferiority complex (OSU fan starved for appreciation of his team/program/state) coupled with profound bitterness with the reality that DA is a sub-par NFL QB (and a 6th round pick. Oops, that's part of the inferiority complex too, isn't it?).

Back on topic:

Quinn wasn't good by most objective measures but the one that matters most: we won the game.

The other measurables that were HUGELY important last night: ZERO turnovers and only one sack.

Shoulda, coulda, wouldas are fun to talk about but ultimately unimportant.

What DID happen is that BQ handled the pressure well enough to put his team in a position to win.

Could he/should he have done more to help the team? Yes. And hopefully he will.

But the cold, hard truth for Lum and the SADAsTS (Sad At DA's Terrible Stats) is that BQ already does what DA couldn't: he doesn't help the other team more than his own.

That's exactly the point.

We don't know if we'll ever be playoff contender behind BQ.

We'll know in a dozen games maybe.

What we know for certain is: we will never be playoff contender behind DA. Period.

What we KNOW:

1) Anderson is a Pro Bowler with 43 TD passes in less than 2 seasons.

2) Pro Bowl QBs are playoff capable QBs

3) BQ Nation is gay

4) Anderson played 6 games this year against defenses ranked in the top 10.

5) Quinn has played 0 games this year against defenses ranked in the top 10.

6) Quinn is now getting his "fair chance" to see if he can operate at an NFL level

7) Quinn can't go deep

8) If Quinn can win some games, he will keep his job

9) If Quinn loses games, he won't

What we KNOW:

3) BQ Nation is gay

6) Quinn is now getting his "fair chance" to see if he can operate at an NFL level

7) Quinn can't go deep

What we don't know:

1) Will Lumnuts EVER go away?

2) Will Lumnuts EVER pull his head out?

3) Will Lumnuts EVER get DA to reciprocate the constant helmet shining?

What we KNOW:

3) BQ Nation is gay

7) Quinn can't go deep

10) Derek Anderson will never start another game for the Cleveland Browns baring injury.

:(

I understand the anti-DA and Pro-BQ stuff. But I recall people saying they would look at BQ the SAME way they looked at DA. I don't think that most do that. I see people say that DA played a decent game against the Giants this year, When he played a GREAT game against the giants this year. And then turn around and say that BQ played good last night. Hardly objective. BQ played well enough to win, what would you have said if the Bills make a much easier FG and one they usually hit? That the defense that caused 4 tournovers lost the game? Where is the bitching about the offense not putting the ball in the endzone with great field position? My god if DA only got FGs out of that field postition people would be calling for his head.

Much like I want from a QB, be consistant.

This simply isn't true.

Who has said BQ had a good game? I honestly have not seen those words posted ANYWHERE on here. Can you find them?

BQ and the offense did NOT have a good game last night. It was a poor showing, without question.

Except for one HUGE thing:

ZERO turnovers and ONE sack.

Most of us ARE consistent about our criteria for good QB play. The formula is simple: move the chains, don't turn the ball over, put points on the board, win the game.

DA didn't do that enough. BQ is showing promise.

Clear enough?

And to add to Dama's post.

The standard for evaluating Quinn is different. Why? Because we're not idiots.

DA is in his fourth season after starting games in three of them and having nearly a year and a half of straight starts. He had the entire offseason with the number one position sewed up. What happened? He basically crapped out.

Quinn's coming off his second career start. Apple meet orange.

Stated another way, do we examine Quinn's second start against the standard we'll expect from him in his 25th start? No reasonable football fan would. So, cautious optimism reigns regarding Quinn's starts. Get his HoF bust ready? Not by a long shot. Show attributes promising in a new starter? Ayup.

I am too young greythan? really how old am I? namecalling that shows how mature you are. Quinn and his comp rating, his high efficiency throws, no turnovers was due to luck not quinn. was it just his second game? yes he has 6 more games but throwing bad throws under pressure..... yea IF that was DA oh Quinn throws much higher completions, he would not make bad throws under pressure....

It does not matter really what Quinn does the fact that he is not Da and we drafted him gives him more leniency.

How this isn't obvious just baffles me.

Ofcourse those that don't see it just have an agenda.

Its obvious to everyone posting at this point except Sev and the biggest jackass we have on these boards. Other than those two, I see pretty strong agreement. Shep's prone to exhuberance but we already knew that. He just has a "thing" for QB's. ;)

Guest 88fingerslewy

Here's a plan to deal with Lumburgh....just a couple of key strokes but it'll take discipline....every response to him is the same....ready?

z....z....z....z....z....z....z....z....z

eventually he'll split or DA will get traded in the offseason. One of those 2 will make him go away.

Archived