THE BROWNS BOARD

Quinn is Sounding Like Big Ben

Preacher

So I am watching ESPN, and they show the interview with Quinn after the game. He said that "It is not the receivers fault when they don't catch the ball, it is my fault. When they drop the ball, it means I didn't get it them right." (or something close to that).

It reminds me of Ben blaming himself times when the O line completely blew games. It is the sign of a true leader.

As a Steelers fan, of course I hope the guy chokes completely.

As a fan of football, I have to say that while it is WAY too early to say anything about the kid on the field, that kind of attitude sure does say a lot about him in the locker room. If he has the skills, he will be a very good leader.

So I am watching ESPN, and they show the interview with Quinn after the game. He said that "It is not the receivers fault when they don't catch the ball, it is my fault. When they drop the ball, it means I didn't get it them right." (or something close to that).

It reminds me of Ben blaming himself times when the O line completely blew games. It is the sign of a true leader.

As a Steelers fan, of course I hope the guy chokes completely.

As a fan of football, I have to say that while it is WAY too early to say anything about the kid on the field, that kind of attitude sure does say a lot about him in the locker room. If he has the skills, he will be a very good leader.

Thanks, Preach. A lot of what we've been saying. Always good to hear it from an 'enemy.'

Oh, and welcome to the new board - ass. <_<

Guest Masters

Good stuff Steelers guys.

You know the QB position is headed in the right direction when Steelers fans are taking notice and kind of not liking CLE looking like it might have a leader at QB now.

There were a few plays where Quinn looked like a pro QB and a few where I wanted to shake him and to never make that throw again. Overall, i don't think he had a good game considering all that had to bounce his way.

He seems to be pressing on the deep pass and while the arm appears to be there, the timing and accuracy do not yet.

I think Chud needs to go back to what works for Brady. Use him on more roll outs and short quick plays. A deep ball or two here and there isn't a problem, but he was testing his arm out a little too much for my taste last night.

I do like the fact that even though he has seen just as much pressure as DA, he has only been the victim of one sack thus far and evaded several others.

There were a few plays where Quinn looked like a pro QB and a few where I wanted to shake him and to never make that throw again. Overall, i don't think he had a good game considering all that had to bounce his way.

He seems to be pressing on the deep pass and while the arm appears to be there, the timing and accuracy do not yet.

I think Chud needs to go back to what works for Brady. Use him on more roll outs and short quick plays. A deep ball or two here and there isn't a problem, but he was testing his arm out a little too much for my taste last night.

I do like the fact that even though he has seen just as much pressure as DA, he has only been the victim of one sack thus far and evaded several others.

AZ... its the SECOND START OF HIS FRICKIN CAREER

No offense but you have no idea what should be done, play-calling-wise, for quinn.

Just watch and critique. He didnt make the decision to 'test his arm out' the plays are called for him.

Well Ben has had Many Many Starts under his Belt and we still wanna Shake him on MANY Occasions. QB a tuff position ...there will be Ups and Downs. Even the Great ones "Stink" at times... hard to keep that all in perspective as a "Fan". We just wanna win...EVERY GAME !! I think Quinn will give you all more Joy than Pain , in the Long Haul !

AZ... its the SECOND START OF HIS FRICKIN CAREER

No offense but you have no idea what should be done, play-calling-wise, for quinn.

Just watch and critique. He didnt make the decision to 'test his arm out' the plays are called for him.

I don't see how it being only his second start makes it any better. He was what he was. 14/36 is DA territory no matter how you slice it. Will he get better? I believe so and I agree its harsh to get on him TOO much criticism considering all that was into play, but if DA can get criticism from me for tyhe same thing then so can Quinn.

Don't get too defensive buddy. I agree that Chud could have called a better game but that doesn't mean Quinn doesn't decide which WR to throw it to and he made a couple of very bad and almost costly decisions.

I have confidence the kid can improve based on the intangibles, but I am stating what I watched and Quinn was shaky last night. He did make some great reads and great throws -- the sideline throw to Harrison was great -- but there were just as many bad ones as well.

Criticising Quinn's performance is perfectly reasonable. I don't have any problem with AZ's assessement. I don't think the coaching staff or Quinn would either.

As the saying goes, "You are what you are". His numbers resulted in a subpar passer rating. That's not acceptable. He needs to improve. (Hence, the relevance of this being his second start.)

Well Ben has had Many Many Starts under his Belt and we still wanna Shake him on MANY Occasions. QB a tuff position ...there will be Ups and Downs. Even the Great ones "Stink" at times... hard to keep that all in perspective as a "Fan". We just wanna win...EVERY GAME !! I think Quinn will give you all more Joy than Pain , in the Long Haul !

Agreed but I give DA so much grief for the same shit that Quinn did last night.

Two differences though

1- Quinn's footwork is going to help him allude pass-rushers much more often than what we saw from DA.

2- Quinn sees the field better

Those two things I think will help him avoid consistent 14/36 games and separate him from the likes of DA.

I go back to DA giving Wright hell for a mistake in lining up. And that was after DA stinking up the joint.

Then to see Quinn take responsibility, that's a leader.

and HE can MOVE. And YES, see the field much better and quicker.

It's Quinn's team now.

I don't see how it being only his second start makes it any better. He was what he was. 14/36 is DA territory no matter how you slice it. Will he get better? I believe so and I agree its harsh to get on him TOO much criticism considering all that was into play, but if DA can get criticism from me for tyhe same thing then so can Quinn.

Don't get too defensive buddy. I agree that Chud could have called a better game but that doesn't mean Quinn doesn't decide which WR to throw it to and he made a couple of very bad and almost costly decisions.

I have confidence the kid can improve based on the intangibles, but I am stating what I watched and Quinn was shaky last night. He did make some great reads and great throws -- the sideline throw to Harrison was great -- but there were just as many bad ones as well.

Thing is, it's too early to worry about these 'problems'. They are normal issues every QB goes through; some will progress out of them and some won't.

I'm looking for improvement; will he make those same mistakes time and again or will he outgrow them. If, after 20 games, his scouting report still reads the same as his on field play, we have MUCHO reason to be concerned.

Things that he has shown - excellent arm strength, stronger than I expected. Poise in the pocket, and pocket presence - he knows when to step up. I noticed he also changed the play at least once last night; he's (at least) trying to read the defenses. He also doesn't seem to get rattled. The Bills brought what I thought was a pretty fearsome rush all night long and he handled it well.

Thanks Preach, it's nice to get an opinion from someone other than a DA leg humper.

You know....you guys brought a lot of that on...now it is time to put up with their stuff.

I am totally good with Quinn being in and being given his shot...and it will be more that 7 games....but some of you guys were totally unfair with DA who IMO is still going to be a very good NFL QB...and now, what come around goes around.

Bottom line is BQ didn't play all that great yesterday, so you need to expect this sort of stuff for a while.

Mind you I am not doing it, but I am just explaining to you the insistence to talk leghumper smack isn't going to help anything.

I am not just pointing a finger at just you Tob...but, I liked this board, but am liking it less and less as all this kiddie shit continues.

Why don't we try to have some legit football conversations?? I know you are good at it when you try to do so.

Again...this isn't just at you, it is a comment for everybody to read.

BQ's arm may not be excellent, but it is more than strong enough....and he does add a component.

I don't know how this will play, and it isn't intended as smack.....but BQ in the way he plays reminds me of Jeff Garcia.....drops back the same....looks a lot like him and plays a similar game.

If it all works out, that is a good quality to have.

My problem is I can't say ANYTHING one way or another without getting bashed by a side.

I've pointed out the good and bad unbiased on both qbs in the past and Lummy always attacked me like I slit my wrists and jumped into shark infested waters.

I ALWAYS tried to establish neutrality and NOT take a side and go with whoever started because I wanted to see us win.

I just got tired of the manwagon dragging me down every post I mentioned ANYTHING to do with quarterbacks because I didn't worship DA.

Why did yuoi think I took time off from posting?

Then I come back, try to be unbiased, get slammed, and just say screw it and go after the idiots who go after me. I got sick of the abuse from the DA fanatics and if I'm less than kind to the insane then damn me to hell for not giving the short bus kids special treatment. I'm not going to sit back and let idiocy flow and insult the intelligence of REAL football fans, and when our GOOD Steelers posters give an outside view and get based because then they're 'Quinn Fags' the idiots can go to hell because all they're doing is dragging everyone else down.

I wanted Anderson to step up and be the guy despite shortcomings, I wanted to see progress. I wanted to see our coaching staff get it together, but they're NOT. I love my BROWNS regardless of who is running them into the ground this or next season.

Hell I wanted to come back to a board without ramblings of madmen, looks like I didn't get my wish.

I am not just pointing a finger at just you Tob...but, I liked this board, but am liking it less and less as all this kiddie shit continues.

Why don't we try to have some legit football conversations?? I know you are good at it when you try to do so.

Again...this isn't just at you, it is a comment for everybody to read.

I'm with you on this totally. My general observation about the BQ/DA debate is that it's been annoyingly inarticulate. Why some people seem determined to club others over the heads with their opinions in order to force them into agreement is beyond me. Conversation and persuasion are a great deal more fascinating and entertaining. I don't find it at all interesting to watch people figuratively yelling "Oh yeah?" at each other and discussing who's been blocked or banned or ignored. Those types of (and I hesitate to call them this) "debates" always generate into what can only be described as a verbal food fight. Blecch.

When a guy says "that's on me" with a smirk on his face then you know that's not what he's really thinking.

But his fans don't care. They love the canned responses.

He's playing his crowd like a fiddle, so I gotta hand it to him for pulling that off....as easy as it may be to do.

Archived