THE BROWNS BOARD

Jimmy Clausen

BuckeyeBulldozer28

i know alot of people hate him because he didnt play up to his potential but yet NBC/ESPN still sucked his nuts but outside his deep ball staying in the Air too long i dont see why he wouldnt make a great NFL QB

he's got the arm strength, he got the accuracy and touch, he has a high football IQ

yes we have other needs but its hard to win the SB (very rarley does it happen) with out a good QB and i just have this feeling like its going to be hard to pass on clausen if he is still around when we pick

3 100% clueless responces

he's proven to be the best QB in the last 2 classes

he's the ONLY QB in the top 5 in Rating, Yards, TDs, threw the 2nd lowest amount of INTs out of any QB with at least 100 attempts and almost 70% completion percentage

oh yeah just so overrated :rolleyes:

to the other 3 posters please never apply for a scouting job with the browns but your more then welcome to with pittsburg

I'd be ok with it if that's what the regime decided on. QB is a big need for us, though IMO not our biggest. There's really no bad pick we can make at #7 with our needs.

congratulations, he played against awful teams and had a fast wide reciever he threw deep to all the time.

team defensive ranks from '09

Nevada:96

Michigan: 82

Michigan st: 73

Purdue:69

Washington:79

USC:40

Boston College: 26

Washington St: 120 (dead last)

Navy: 34

Pittsburgh:23

Uconn: 62

Stanford:90

ONE team in the top 25, and 3 teams 90 or worse. His numbers are clearly padded.

i know alot of people hate him because he didnt play up to his potential but yet NBC/ESPN still sucked his nuts but outside his deep ball staying in the Air too long i dont see why he wouldnt make a great NFL QB

he's got the arm strength, he got the accuracy and touch, he has a high football IQ

If his throws stay in the air too long, then how does he have good arm strength? One biproduct of a weak arm is hanging balls up in the air too long. In college, that's okay to do because there are kids out on the field and you have a 50/50 chance of success. In the NFL, it's more like a 20% chance of success. The ball either gets picked off, or goes out of bounds. Sound familiar? And even if he is "accurate" and has a "high football IQ" who cares? I can name you 150 QBs in the nation who are accurate with a high football IQ. What matters in the NFL is getting the ball to the spot in a hurry. If the QB cannot do that, then you either have to run a spread type of offense like NO, or you have a career backup. I'll pass on Clausen unless he's there in the 4th round. He may have some sucess in St. Louis because of the dome and at least 3 road games in warm weather, but in the AFC North? No way.

to the other 3 posters please never apply for a scouting job with the browns but your more then welcome to with pittsburg

I don't plan to. When are you going to apply since you think you know everything?

How about dropping the attitude chief. We are simply disagreeing with your opinion, not screwing your wife.

congratulations, he played against awful teams and had a fast wide reciever he threw deep to all the time.

team defensive ranks from '09

Nevada:96

Michigan: 82

Michigan st: 73

Purdue:69

Washington:79

USC:40

Boston College: 26

Washington St: 120 (dead last)

Navy: 34

Pittsburgh:23

Uconn: 62

Stanford:90

ONE team in the top 25, and 3 teams 90 or worse. His numbers are clearly padded.

ND SOS=13th

If his throws stay in the air too long, then how does he have good arm strength? One biproduct of a weak arm is hanging balls up in the air too long. In college, that's okay to do because there are kids out on the field and you have a 50/50 chance of success. In the NFL, it's more like a 20% chance of success. The ball either gets picked off, or goes out of bounds. Sound familiar? And even if he is "accurate" and has a "high football IQ" who cares? I can name you 150 QBs in the nation who are accurate with a high football IQ. What matters in the NFL is getting the ball to the spot in a hurry. If the QB cannot do that, then you either have to run a spread type of offense like NO, or you have a career backup. I'll pass on Clausen unless he's there in the 4th round. He may have some sucess in St. Louis because of the dome and at least 3 road games in warm weather, but in the AFC North? No way.

do it

exaclly

theres not even 150 accurate QBs in the NFL and D-1A combined

you just explained exaclly what clausen does

good job A+

NO.

The Browns, if they had no glaring needs, could take a chance, but it would still be a big chance.

He is NOT "all that" for a top pick:

from NFLDRAFTSCOUT:

"11/24/09 - "I'll leave others to make the argument for or against this being Charlie Weis' final home game as the head coach for the Fighting Irish. I have no problem weighing in, however, on whether junior quarterback Jimmy Clausen should leave early for the NFL. I believe it would be a mistake. I've scouted Clausen for three years. I acknowledge his physical tools, toughness and understanding of a pro-style offense. However, for all of the hype Clausen and Notre Dame have received in general for their many tight games down the stretch, I've been consistently underwhelmed by their (and more specifically, his) performance. For a quarterback to leave school early for the NFL, I want to see the ability to put his collegiate team on his shoulders and lead them to victory. I saw Clausen play to not lose this game - just as I have done many times in the past. I saw him make some terrific, NFL-caliber throws, as well, including the touchdown to send the game into its second overtime. I also saw, however, a great deal of inconsistency in the game's crucial moments. On some throws he was inaccurate. On others he incorrectly read the defense and tried to squeeze in throws that simply weren't there. Clausen is not the reason Notre Dame lost this game. A defense that struggled to make tackles in the open field all year long failed in doing so yet again. However, with opportunities to seal this game throughout the fourth quarter and overtime, Clausen was rendered a virtual non-factor - and that shouldn't happen for a player viewed by scouts as the most NFL-ready passer in the country. - Rob Rang, The SportsXchange, NFLDraftScout.com "

he's the ONLY QB in the top 5 in Rating, Yards, TDs, threw the 2nd lowest amount of INTs out of any QB with at least 100 attempts and almost 70% completion percentage

oh yeah just so overrated :rolleyes:

Sounds just like the college stats of a guy we already have on our roster- Brady Quinn. I doubt we're going to go to the ND well twice in a row. Do the Browns need improvement at qb? Yeah, there and just about everywhere else.

If Holmgren thinks Clausen is "it", I'll respect his opinion, but IMHO the Browns have a lot bigger holes to fill in the first couple of rounds than qb. Baltimore and the Jets proved you can win playoff games with your qb throwing 10 passes, if your defense is good enough- hint: the Browns defense was 31st in yards allowed, and 21st in point allowed.

do it

exaclly

theres not even 150 accurate QBs in the NFL and D-1A combined

you just explained exaclly what clausen does

good job A+

That's rediculous. My 4 brothers and I accurate with our throws. That's 5 guys right there. The problem is. if we throw over 15 yards, we have to sail it up in the air and it will get picked off. NFL QBs need to have zip on the ball. It is an absolute deal breaker if you don't. Look at every backup QB in the league who "do pretty well" when they get to play. But the reason they are backups and why they will never have continuous success, is because they lack the arm strength to play every down in every game. DO NOT look at college QBs stats alone to make your decision. In fact, don't look at their stats at all. What you look at is how quick they release the ball, how fast it gets there, how catchable the ball is, and how composed they are in big game situations. Jake Locker.

For instance, I've been watching Brady Quinn for 3 years now in training camp and preseason and I knew he wouldn't be successful. Know why? Because he looked average in camp and preseason. And the throws he did make in those situations were throws that I said to myself "you won't get away with that against starters with live bullets". And sure enough, throws that he barely made in practice, went out of bounds, went to the turf, went behind, went high, or got picked off in the regular season. So ignore college stats. What you for is mechanics and poise, not stat lines. I don't want that kid here unless its late on the 2nd day. And I have a feeling some dummy will reach for him before that.

That's rediculous. My 4 brothers and I accurate with our throws. That's 5 guys right there. The problem is. if we throw over 15 yards, we have to sail it up in the air and it will get picked off. NFL QBs need to have zip on the ball. It is an absolute deal breaker if you don't. Look at every backup QB in the league who "do pretty well" when they get to play. But the reason they are backups and why they will never have continuous success, is because they lack the arm strength to play every down in every game. DO NOT look at college QBs stats alone to make your decision. In fact, don't look at their stats at all. What you look at is how quick they release the ball, how fast it gets there, how catchable the ball is, and how composed they are in big game situations. Jake Locker.

For instance, I've been watching Brady Quinn for 3 years now in training camp and preseason and I knew he wouldn't be successful. Know why? Because he looked average in camp and preseason. And the throws he did make in those situations were throws that I said to myself "you won't get away with that against starters with live bullets". And sure enough, throws that he barely made in practice, went out of bounds, went to the turf, went behind, went high, or got picked off in the regular season. So ignore college stats. What you for is mechanics and poise, not stat lines. I don't want that kid here unless its late on the 2nd day. And I have a feeling some dummy will reach for him be

that.[/quote

your post only proves you are 100% clueless

Guest birddog1

Why the attitude, are you a family member of Clausen's or his agent? Do you always get this defensive when somebody disagrees with you?

QUOTE (BuckeyeBulldozer28 @ Jan 22 2010, 04:36 PM) *

Why the attitude, are you a family member of Clausen's or his agent? Do you always get this defensive when somebody disagrees with you?

+1. Before you call somebody clueless Buckeye, you had better back up your argument with something more substantial than name-calling.

Guys have posted scouting reports on this thread, ND homers are leery of him, so no problem. Wrong BIG PROBLEM. Clausen's W-L record is mediocre against a schedule that's not exactly up to SEC standards, another huge Red Flag.

Mopaji is dead on- if a guy throws deep balls that hang in the air- in the college game you can get away with it. In the pros CB are a tad more attentive and quick- those passes will get knocked down or intercepted.

yes we have other needs but its hard to win the SB (very rarley does it happen) with out a good QB and i just have this feeling like its going to be hard to pass on clausen if he is still around when we pick

Thanks for the idea Buckeye but I'm not really that impressed at the #7 spot overall. I can't really pinpoit what it is I dislike specifically maybe the flutterballs people refer to as touch passes. Those become disasters in the land of faster closing speeds.

I WILL say on this kid's behalf, he showed me tremendous improvement enough to say he's a good college QB. It's unfortunate for him that ND is bringing in another new system of offense; because I think I might feel differently about this kid if he had 1 more year to sharpen his skills and imperfections. I guess I don't blame him for declaring early with Tate and Weis leaving and a new offense coming.

- Tom F.

Archived