THE BROWNS BOARD

Cleveland Browns or other stories

Kosar_For_President

Reading IschY's post I thought this would be a good post.

Does anyone have any ties to anyone in Cleveland Sports or Famous throughout the city?

I might of mentioned this before but my grandmother was Jim Brown's personal photographer in the 60's. She was also the wedding photographer at George Steinbrenner's wedding. Oh and my great grandfather was one of 3 to put the needle on top of the terminal tower when it was done.

Reading IschY's post I thought this would be a good post.

Does anyone have any ties to anyone in Cleveland Sports or Famous throughout the city?

I might of mentioned this before but my grandmother was Jim Brown's personal photographer in the 60's. She was also the wedding photographer at George Steinbrenner's wedding. Oh and my great grandfather was one of 3 to put the needle on top of the terminal tower when it was done.

It the mid '80's, I was training at a club called the Sports Connection in LA... one Sunday as I was leaving, who do I see walking in, but my boyhood idol... the man, the legend himself... #32... in what has to be a fraction of mili-seconds before he walks in the door, and I walk out, the whole scenario unfolds in my brain... either I can say something and feel like a total asshole for the moment, or I can just keep walking and feel like an asshole for the rest of my life... the doors swing open, we make eye contact, as we pass each other the words just come out of my mouth... "I'm really sorry to impose on you, but the whole time I was growing up you were my hero...I had pictures of you on my wall..." He looks at me, smiles, sticks out his hand and says, "I'm Jim Brown." I shake his paw and introduce myself. The man's hand is enormous.... I'm convinced that it's bigger than my entire body. We make small talk for about two minutes--- I have no idea what we talked about. But I met Jim Brown. I MET JIM BROWN!!!!!!!!!

It the mid '80's, I was training at a club called the Sports Connection in LA... one Sunday as I was leaving, who do I see walking in, but my boyhood idol... the man, the legend himself... #32... in what has to be a fraction of mili-seconds before he walks in the door, and I walk out, the whole scenario unfolds in my brain... either I can say something and feel like a total asshole for the moment, or I can just keep walking and feel like an asshole for the rest of my life... the doors swing open, we make eye contact, as we pass each other the words just come out of my mouth... "I'm really sorry to impose on you, but the whole time I was growing up you were my hero...I had pictures of you on my wall..." He looks at me, smiles, sticks out his hand and says, "I'm Jim Brown." I shake his paw and introduce myself. The man's hand is enormous.... I'm convinced that it's bigger than my entire body. We make small talk for about two minutes--- I have no idea what we talked about. But I met Jim Brown. I MET JIM BROWN!!!!!!!!!

Yep, he was bigger than life when he played and still the greatest RB ever. The day he said he was not coming back.............I said we can never replace this guy..........

so far I remain correct we have never replaced him...............a force in a day when running is harder than it is now.........lifetime rushing avg.......5.2........126 TD's in 118 games.......that about says it all

Yep, he was bigger than life when he played and still the greatest RB ever. The day he said he was not coming back.............I said we can never replace this guy..........

so far I remain correct we have never replaced him...............a force in a day when running is harder than it is now.........lifetime rushing avg.......5.2........126 TD's in 118 games.......that about says it all

No one will EVER replace Jim Brown... the greatest RB who ever played the game.

good to hear from you, Rich. Hope you're well.

Welcome back. You owe me a beer for something (i can't remember what, but i know you owe me one).

I also met Jim Brown in the LA airport after my trip to Cleveland for the Browns/Steelers Sunday night game when they honored Ernie Davis. Mr. Brown was on my flight and I just happened up next to him at baggage claim in LA and talked for a couple minutes, I got his bag off the baggage deal, handed it to his driver..he shook my hand and said good bye and off he went. One thing that I will always remember is that his hand was HUGE and still strong.

He's not looking real healthy these days...but I thought he was going to break my hand with his grip.

i got to meet a lot of the browns back in 93 or 94 when they came to my area (oh/ky/wv tri-state) for a charity basketball game. i remember being heartbroken because bernie wasn't there and he was the only one that i wanted to meet.

If I am thinking the same game I might of been there.

The 1984 season (if I remember right) I was able to meet many of those players the day the Jets played the Browns. Like Mark Gastineau, Joe Klecko and a couple other guys I can't remember. My godfathers, brother (I know it sounds almost made up) was Joe Gardi, the Linebackers/ST coach that season and legendary Hofstra coach. Yea it was in passing, but when you are 8, it's huge.

My dad got drunk with Larry Holmes in Atlantic City, one night BEFORE his heavyweight title fight, lol. He said Holmes literally downed 2 bottles of $500 wine in about an hour and kept drinking like that until 5am. From what I remember he won, I am not sure the exact fight.

was down in columbus about a month ago meet and had dinner with Eddie George at his own cafe

i play at Mount Union (transfering to Kent, Mounts just too small and expensive with no scholarships)

and he gave me tips how to see the field better and holes better when im running and what to look for

to break a defenders tackles or make them miss

also when i was in middle school i got a invite to a football camp with Bernie Kosar and i was a QB in middle school and he said my throwing motion reminded me alot of his

was down in columbus about a month ago meet and had dinner with Eddie George at his own cafe

i play at Mount Union (transfering to Kent, Mounts just too small and expensive with no scholarships)

and he gave me tips how to see the field better and holes better when im running and what to look for

also when i was in middle school i got a invite to a football camp with Bernie Kosar and i was a QB in middle school and he said my throwing motion reminded me alot of his

Cool Buckeye, good for you. Does that mean you are a RB? Will you be playing at Kent next year? Scholarship with Kent? Just curious.

If I am thinking the same game I might of been there.

The 1984 season (if I remember right) I was able to meet many of those players the day the Jets played the Browns. Like Mark Gastineau, Joe Klecko and a couple other guys I can't remember. My godfathers, brother (I know it sounds almost made up) was Joe Gardi, the Linebackers/ST coach that season and legendary Hofstra coach. Yea it was in passing, but when you are 8, it's huge.

My dad got drunk with Larry Holmes in Atlantic City, one night BEFORE his heavyweight title fight, lol. He said Holmes literally downed 2 bottles of $500 wine in about an hour and kept drinking like that until 5am. From what I remember he won, I am not sure the exact fight.

Larry Holmes and he is disrespected was one of the greatest fighters EVER

Welcome back. You owe me a beer for something (i can't remember what, but i know you owe me one).

You know I love you man..........and I owe you a case of beer and dinners.......................YOU PICK THE VENUE

BTW, for now I am ecstatic as what is happening in brownstown................and you know that is not my MO

Holmes was one of the greatest fighters ever. He got disrespected by the media and fans because he wasn't a knockout guy but a technician. He also was Ali's sparring partner and didn't speak well or come across well. When he attempted to emulate Ali's bravado he sounded like a tool.

Probably the greatest left jab in history.

Holmes was one of the greatest fighters ever. He got disrespected by the media and fans because he wasn't a knockout guy but a technician. He also was Ali's sparring partner and didn't speak well or come across well. When he attempted to emulate Ali's bravado he sounded like a tool.

Probably the greatest left jab in history.

we do agree on Larry Holmes a great fighter way underrated

Thatta boy! Mount Union is obviously as good as it gets for small school college ball; but if you can go up a level to the Kent State program putting All Pros in the NFL then God bless ya! Congrats!!!

Some day I'll be able to say that's the kid that clobbered the mock draft I found in cyberspace.

I guess my biggest brush with fame came when my friend Dennie Taft, who was the Head Strength and Conditioning Coach for the Detroit Tigers gave me the card of the Tampa Bay Bucs Strength Coach Mark Asanovich. So I called Mark and told him I just got promoted to Corporate Fitness Manager with Xerox and I was looking for weight room layout ideas and state of the art equipment lines. He tells me to come for a visit so I wore my Ohio State Buckeyes t-shirt to that visit. As fate would have it Mark got his Master's Degree at Ohio State in Exercise Phys back when Earl Bruce coached there. Next thing I know, he's got me scheduled to work in his weight room 2 mornings a week. A couple weeks later, the guy who worked for me at Xerox was working for Mark the 3 mornings I had to open at Xerox. He was a really positive guy that was down to earth and loved to talk strength training philosophies. This was back in 97 and 98 when I had less chins than a chinese phone book.

The very first day I was there Herm Edwards came up and introduced himself and welcomed me. That guy was just an awesome person. That staff headed up by Dungy had Rod Marinelli (dline), Lovie Smith (LBers), Herm Edwards (DBs and Assistant Head Coach), Monte Kiffen (DC) Clyde Christiansen (QBs), Joe Marciano (STs), Mike Shula (OC). Alot of these guys worked out in the offseason program like the players. It was a classy organization. The owner of the team was from the same Rochester suburb as my wife to make a small world even smaller.

To this day, Warrick Dunn in shorts and t-shirt should dispell the myth that RBs at or under 200 lbs can't last in this league. Trust me when I tell you, he wasn't thick like Barry Sanders or Emmitt Smith. In fact, he wasn't anywhere near as big as the 190 pound Greg Pruitt or Walter Payton. MAYBE the 185 pound James Brooks or Napoleon Kaufman but he couldn't bench press 400 pounds like those 2 freaks.

- Tom F.

Our Dayton Browns Backers have had a pretty good representation of current and past players at our annual banquet- so I won't count the just "here sign this stuff" encounters. Hmmmm lets see- Ozzie Newsome- totally class guy- ditto that with Kameron Wimbley- Braylon needs to take humility lessons from them. Ernest Byner- :) I have a mini helmet autographed by Bernie Kosar, and I was waiting (still am) for the next great Browns qb to appear on the horizon- God, am I glad I never ran into Tim Couch with helmet in hand-so I asked Ernest to sign off on it- and we had a pretty good chat about things, Phil Dawson. Had a real long talk with Doug Dieken- when he's off the record, amazing what the guy knows. Finally- got to hang with Hanford Dixon (after he had long since retired, LOL) with a couple dozen other Browns fans at a Sports Bar in Covington Kentucky the day before the Browns played the Bengals. If I had passed him on the street, I'd never had guessed he was a pro football player. Pretty regular dude- talked to anyone who wanted to have a chat, and signed all requests for autographs.

To take it to a non football venue- I'm totally celebrity blind, or NFL player blind. I was having a late night dinner at my favorite haunt- The Pine Club, and there was this pretty good looking blond in the booth next to me. After she leaves, the grill master comes out and asks me, "hey, did you see Morgan Fairchild?" The only time I did recognize celebrity, I passed on the attempt. Me and the wifie were on our honeymoon in Washington DC, and I hit the elevator to go to our hotel room and who's there? Vincent Price- no doubt. Couldn't get the nerve up to say hi.

Cool Buckeye, good for you. Does that mean you are a RB? Will you be playing at Kent next year? Scholarship with Kent? Just curious.

i can play a little bit if of everything but i think ill play WR at Kent im only 5'9 but i wont be able to play next year (RS Transfer rule)

im also trying out for the cleveland gladiators comming up soon by NCAA rules im allowed to try out but i cant make the team and play at kent

but if i make the team it kinda works out since im still playing football, getting paid, going to school since the season's when im not in school,

and could still enter the draft since AFL players have done that before

we do agree on Larry Holmes a great fighter way underrated

I just found that he could get drunk the night before a title fight and win. His life style complemented his fighting style I guess? I saw some old fights of him and dude would jab for the first 3 rounds. He was awesome from what I saw.

i can play a little bit if of everything but i think ill play WR at Kent im only 5'9 but i wont be able to play next year (RS Transfer rule)

im also trying out for the cleveland gladiators comming up soon by NCAA rules im allowed to try out but i cant make the team and play at kent

but if i make the team it kinda works out since im still playing football, getting paid, going to school since the season's when im not in school,

and could still enter the draft since AFL players have done that before

Good stuff dude. Keep us updated on who to look out for. Good luck buddy.

Archived