THE BROWNS BOARD

The Emergence Rates of Young WRs in this League

Flugel

We've had alot of discussions about QBs and how important they are to today's game as this weekend features 3 future Hall of Fame QBs (and maybe even a 4th). What we rarely talk about are the challenging learning curves that coincide with rookie WRs teams count on to come in and make an impact. They have quite a bit to learn too in terms of coverage schemes confronting them, blitz adjustments, route adjustments, speed difference (including closing speeds of defenders), etc. We've all seen some of our younger receivers watching defenders out-hustle them to the football looking as if they aren't coming back to the ball. Those are growing pains that come with a lack of experience folks.

Someone brought up Sidney Rice the other day, who's NOT a rookie but had a great season. When you think about it - has Sidney Rice really had the chance to showcase his skills prior to Favre arriving there? Not really. Then again, I think he's learned the art of fighting for the ball in traffic probably even the hard way. Many of his catches this year are in in traffic and they are gorgeous displays of elite athleticism. I can say gorgeous when they won me some cake in fanstasy football. Okay, now comes the addition of the NFC's Offensive Rookie of the Year - WR Percy Harvin. When you have the right QB chucking these guys passes - you learn really quickly whether or not you have drafted the right receivers. Sidney Rice is on the NFL map all of a sudden.

Okay, let's look at other successful rookie WRs over the last decade. Torry Holt with Kurt Warner as his QB. Marcus Colston with Drew Brees as his QB. Terry Glenn with Drew Bledsoe as his QB. How about Randy's Moss with Randall Cunningham's 4th Pro Bowl Season of 34 TDs and over 3700 yds passing and a 15-1 record? Then there's DeSean Jackson with McNabb and this year's Jeremy Maclin with McNabb. Hakeem Nicks looked good with Eli. And Peyton Manning enabled a 4th round WR like Austin Collie to have a memorable rookie season.

The reality is every youngster doesn't start off with Peyton Manning and some JUST have to go through the painful learning curve before it's all worth while. Some kids needed 2-3 years before emerging as great WRs like Santonio Holmes, Larry Fitzgerald, Miles Austin, Calvin Johnson, Roddy White, Hines Ward, Brandon Marshall, Wes Welker, NY's Steve Smith and Vincent Jackson. I'm sure there's plenty more but you get the picture.

Relating this to us - I don't know what we have in our young WRs just yet because I don't think it's fair to judge them on days our bad QBs can't find the same area codes as their targets dowfield. That doesn't excuse the volume of dropped passes we had early on by any means; but I think we need to understand chemistry can only come with some sense of continuity in the lineup. We settled down after NY got the Butterfingered #17. When we played Detroit indoors and our QB was asked to throw at man coverage lacking Safety help deep off 5-7 step drops (plant and and fire to an area instead of READING progressions) - Mo Mass AND Stuckey looked really impressive in spite of their youth. Stuckey is only in his 2nd season after Favre tossed him 3 TDs as a rookie in NY. And Josh Cribbs is really learning position on a very part time basis when he lines up as a WR. He caught a TD pass during the 4 game winning streak. I think we need to holdoff on any conclusions about this crew until we get competant QBing here.

There's going to be a temptation for a playmaking gem like Golden Tate; but I wonder if we're right for him based on the question marks we have at QB right now. Today, we've got the left tackle we need to protect a smart investment at QB. Now we've added the intellect in the brass for a much better plan than Trent Dilfer leading off, Charlie Frye on deck and DA in the hole. I know we're going to draft a QB and I'm confident we're going to add a better vet than we have right now. I also dig Riffer's idea about adding 2 QBs in the draft. We're going shopping with a huge appetite and empty cupboards with TONS of cake to spend and 11 draft picks. We can get a WR in free agency and/or in the mid to late rounds of the draft if need be.

Thanks for reading!

- Tom F.

DezBryantSICover.jpg

Great stuff Flugs. Here is a list of FA wideouts. Not sure this is totally accurate but there are some interesting names on this list. How about Cleveland (Bedford) product Lee Evans coming back home to roost? I also am positive that Mangie loves David Clowney, so there is a real good chance he comes here IMO.

I'm all for spending on a proven and solid wideout that can stretch the field ala Evans. I'm not even sure we would need to draft anybody at WR if we can score an Evans type to go along with Robo, MoMass and Stuckey. Regardless of how his year went the Browns say they're high on Robo, and after getting a year under their belts I expect both Robo and MoMass to make great strides next year. I also like Stuckey's potential, he is very quick out of the slot. Say we grab Clowney and Evans, get a starting caliber QB in here like McNabb and let these guys develop throughout camp with a proven and good QB--I like the chances for a huge turnaround in our passing game next year.

I would like the above scenario and also this: Jetisson DA ASAP. However they do it, just do it. Keep Queen around for another year cuz he doesn't cost anything. Get rid of Ratliff for a bag of chips and draft two QB's. If McCoy is there in the second I'm taking him, but he could go all the way to the fourth for all we know. Then you take a shot at a guy like Kafka (who looked good today), The Fever, Pike etc. That would give us 4 QB's going into camp. One veteran starter with a couple good years left, Queen who is still developing and could still be the guy and two rookies. The rookie who doesn't make the roster can be kept around on the practice squad if he doesn't get snagged like DA did.

Let me get a little more crazy if I may. Take Spiller at 7. I think he is the next Chris Johnson in the league and will make a dynamic all around pro for years and that includes in the passing and return games. All of a sudden you have this on offense for weapons-- At RB: Harrison, Spiller, Davis and Jennings (Thunder and Lightning reincarnated) with an infusion of more Cribbs in different sets. Say McNabb is the QB and he is quite mobile still. At WR you would have Evans, MoMass and Robo with Clowney and Stuckey the slot guys. This could be an offense that makes a total transformation overnight. We know what we have on the oline, they will only get better and the only weak link is RT. That could even be addressed in FA but I haven't looked at those available yet. This is all under the realm of possibility, and please believe Heckert has a track record of going after playmakers like Westbrook, Maclyn and Jackson etc. I know McNabb would cost us some things but I'm including everything we have now in this discussion.

That's 3 of the 11 picks going to offense but say they get a project RT also, so it's 4. Then you can take the next 7 picks and go straight after defense. I love Haden, but I really hate to pass up a guy like Spiller that I just know will be sitting there and will tear the league up with his speed and game. McCoy in the third would thrill me also, I think he is just a baller plain and simple. A couple of years behind McNabb and he could be ready. I still haven't given up on Queen either, but it is time to move forward and be proactive. We schemed our way to some pretty decent defense late in the year and found some diamonds in the rough. Now when you factor in missing guys like Rogers, Jackson and Barton you gotta wonder what a couple FA's and 7 draft picks would bring us.

This team could have a dramatic turn around next year if this is done correctly, trust me. That is why I'm so excited. We have a rock solid coach and now a front office that is the real deal (plus a QB guru in the fold)

http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/features/fr...n=WR&y=2010

Pos Player Name FA Status Previous Team Current Team

WR Sam Aiken UFA New England Patriots Free Agent

WR Miles Austin UFA Dallas Cowboys Free Agent

WR Jason Avant UFA Philadelphia Eagles Free Agent

WR Arnaz Battle UFA San Francisco 49ers Free Agent

WR Davone Bess ERFA Miami Dolphins Free Agent

WR Mark Bradley UFA Kansas City Chiefs Free Agent

WR Steve Breaston RFA Arizona Cardinals Free Agent

WR Isaac Bruce UFA San Francisco 49ers Free Agent

WR Antonio Bryant UFA Tampa Bay Buccaneers Free Agent

WR Chris Chambers UFA Kansas City Chiefs Free Agent

WR Jason Chery Signed Free Agent Pittsburgh Steelers

WR Mark Clayton UFA Baltimore Ravens Free Agent

WR David Clowney UFA New York Jets Free Agent

WR Airese Currie UFA Chicago Bears Free Agent

WR Lee Evans UFA Buffalo Bills Free Agent

WR Brian Finneran UFA Atlanta Falcons Free Agent

WR Malcom Floyd UFA San Diego Chargers Free Agent

WR Joey GallowayNew player news! UFA Pittsburgh Steelers Free Agent

WR S.J. Green Signed Free Agent New York Jets

WR Domenik Hixon UFA New York Giants Free Agent

WR Sam Hurd UFA Dallas Cowboys Free Agent

WR Vincent Jackson UFA San Diego Chargers Free Agent

WR Michael Jenkins UFA Atlanta Falcons Free Agent

WR Brandon Marshall UFA Denver Broncos Free Agent

WR Derrick Mason UFA Baltimore Ravens Free Agent

WR Lance Moore UFA New Orleans Saints Free Agent

WR Sean Morey UFA Arizona Cardinals Free Agent

WR Sinorice Moss UFA New York Giants Free Agent

WR Muhsin Muhammad UFA Carolina Panthers Free Agent

WR Kassim Osgood UFA San Diego Chargers Free Agent

WR Terrell Owens UFA Buffalo Bills Free Agent

WR Josh Reed UFA Buffalo Bills Free Agent

WR Brad Smith UFA New York Jets Free Agent

WR Maurice Stovall UFA Tampa Bay Buccaneers Free Agent

WR Larry Taylor Signed Free Agent New York Jets

WR Jerheme UrbanNew player news! UFA Arizona Cardinals Free Agent

WR Bobby Wade UFA Kansas City Chiefs Free Agent

WR Kevin Walter UFA Houston Texans Free Agent

WR Kelley Washington UFA Baltimore Ravens Free Agent

WR Jeff Webb UFA Kansas City Chiefs Free Agent

WR Demetrius Williams UFA Baltimore Ravens Free Agent

WR Troy Williamson UFA Jacksonville Jaguars Free Agent

Here is a list of Free Agent offensive linemen. There are some nice names on here too.

http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/features/fr...n=OL&y=2010

Pos Player Name FA Status Previous Team Current Team

OG David Baas UFA San Francisco 49ers Free Agent

OT Alex Barron UFA St. Louis Rams Free Agent

OG Kevin Boothe UFA New York Giants Free Agent

OT Jermon Bushrod RFA New Orleans Saints Free Agent

OT Brad Butler UFA Buffalo Bills Free Agent

OT Chad Clifton UFA Green Bay Packers Free Agent

OG Daryn Colledge UFA Green Bay Packers Free Agent

OG Junius Coston UFA Green Bay Packers Free Agent

OT Jared Gaither RFA Baltimore Ravens Free Agent

OT Mike Gandy UFA Arizona Cardinals Free Agent

OT Cornell Green UFA Oakland Raiders Oakland Raiders

OG Ben Hamilton UFA Denver Broncos Free Agent

OT Stephon Heyer UFA Washington Redskins Washington Redskins

OG Artis Hicks UFA Minnesota Vikings Free Agent

OG Montrae Holland UFA Dallas Cowboys Free Agent

OG Richie Incognito UFA Buffalo Bills Free Agent

OG Max Jean-Giles UFA Philadelphia Eagles Free Agent

OL Charlie JohnsonNew player news! UFA Indianapolis Colts Free Agent

OG Scott Kooistra UFA Cincinnati Bengals Free Agent

OL Chris Kuper UFA Denver Broncos Free Agent

OG Taitusi Lutui UFA Arizona Cardinals Free Agent

OG Logan Mankins UFA New England Patriots Free Agent

OT Marcus McNeill UFA San Diego Chargers Free Agent

OT Pat McQuistan UFA Dallas Cowboys Free Agent

OG Carlton Medder UFA Arizona Cardinals Free Agent

OT Tony Moll UFA Baltimore Ravens Free Agent

OG Stephen Neal UFA New England Patriots Free Agent

OT Quinn Ojinnaka UFA Atlanta Falcons Free Agent

OG Benji Olson UFA Tennessee Titans Free Agent

OG Tom Pestock Signed Free Agent Arizona Cardinals

OG Chester Pitts UFA Houston Texans Free Agent

OG Manuel Ramirez RFA Detroit Lions Free Agent

OT Willie Roaf UFA Kansas City Chiefs Free Agent

OG Rich Seubert UFA New York Giants Free Agent

OG Rob Sims UFA Seattle Seahawks Free Agent

OG Chris Snee UFA New York Giants Free Agent

OL Darnell Stapleton RFA Pittsburgh Steelers Free Agent

OT John Tait UFA Chicago Bears Free Agent

OT Adam Terry UFA Baltimore Ravens Free Agent

OG Randy Thomas UFA Washington Redskins Free Agent

OT Jeremy Trueblood UFA Tampa Bay Buccaneers Free Agent

OT Ryan Tucker UFA Cleveland Browns Free Agent

OL Robert Turner RFA New York Jets Free Agent

OL Guy Whimper UFA New York Giants Free Agent

OG Bobbie Williams UFA Cincinnati Bengals Free Agent

OT Eric Winston UFA Houston Texans Free Agent

OL Marshal Yanda RFA Baltimore Ravens Free Agent

If he isn't injured...I like Chris Snee. He's been excellent for the Giants.

I like your analysis Flugs. I am very skeptical of young wide receivers because if you think about it, they're often one on one against someone more experienced than they. The really good DBs will also get into their heads a bit.

I like the way you think. I think taking spiller would be a great pick. We also could always take Patrick Robinson in the 2rd round, and get our 2 qbs in the 3rd and 5th. Can't wait till FA starts. Wont be able to watch the draft this year, cuz i will be at Talladega speedway, but i will have xm.

How about Cleveland (Bedford) product Lee Evans coming back home to roost?

I'm all for spending on a proven and solid wideout that can stretch the field ala Evans. I'm not even sure we would need to draft anybody at WR if we can score an Evans type to go along with Robo, MoMass and Stuckey. Regardless of how his year went the Browns say they're high on Robo, and after getting a year under their belts I expect both Robo and MoMass to make great strides next year. I also like Stuckey's potential,

Let me get a little more crazy if I may. Take Spiller at 7. I think he is the next Chris Johnson in the league and will make a dynamic all around pro for years and that includes in the passing and return games. All of a sudden you have this on offense for weapons-- At RB: Harrison, Spiller, Davis and Jennings (Thunder and Lightning reincarnated) with an infusion of more Cribbs in different sets.

I know last year alot of people told me there's no way we should even consider Percy Harvin when I said he'd be a nice weapon to add to our offense where we were slated to pick. Anyway, he would fall to the SAME team Adrian Peterson once fell to. Seems like Minnesota has alot of experts to thank right about now. In hindsight - what was too early about the NFC Offensive Rookie of the Year? I can assure people Alabama didn't miss him a bit this year.

SOMETIMES you gotta buck the consensus if you feel good enough about a guy. I remembered hearing all the local Titans fans complaining Jeff Fisher lost his mind when he sidestepped the enourmous need at WR to make the 200 pound Chris Johnson their first round pick in 2008. What most of them didn't know about Chris Johnson was he ran those SAME 4.2 forties Marshall Faulk used to run and it looks like he's already turning in the same types of seasons as Marshall. Tennessee went 13-3 in 2008 riding the brilliance of Chris Johnson. Had they started the right QB before they went 0-6, their 8-2 finish might have been more meaningful.

Guess who his position coach became the day he was drafted? Ernest Byner who want to the same freakin college at East Carolina State.

I usually do this for the draft to make it fun: I pick an offensive guy I'd like for our first pick and a defensive guy for our first pick.

This year if we go offense in round 1 - I gotta agree with the CJ Spiller thing. That kid's got some goodies and jets that find the end zone. Wait til they put a stop watch on him - there's gonna be alot of mock draft edits going on. Most of all the kid can play and I see alot more than just a guy in a 2 point stance behind the QB. Defensively, I'm really warming up to Haden (and part of this comes from watching the value of Revis).

- Tom F.

I know last year alot of people told me there's no way we should even consider Percy Harvin when I said he'd be a nice weapon to add to our offense where we were slated to pick. Anyway, he would fall to the SAME team Adrian Peterson once fell to. Seems like Minnesota has alot of experts to thank right about now. In hindsight - what was too early about the NFC Offensive Rookie of the Year? I can assure people Alabama didn't miss him a bit this year.

SOMETIMES you gotta buck the consensus if you feel good enough about a guy. I remembered hearing all the local Titans fans complaining Jeff Fisher lost his mind when he sidestepped the enourmous need at WR to make the 200 pound Chris Johnson their first round pick in 2008. What most of them didn't know about Chris Johnson was he ran those SAME 4.2 forties Marshall Faulk used to run and it looks like he's already turning in the same types of seasons as Marshall. Tennessee went 13-3 in 2008 riding the brilliance of Chris Johnson. Had they started the right QB before they went 0-6, their 8-2 finish might have been more meaningful.

I usually do this for the draft to make it fun: I pick an offensive guy I'd like for our first pick and a defensive guy for our first pick.

This year if we go offense in round 1 - I gotta agree with the CJ Spiller thing. That kid's got some goodies and jets that find the end zone. Wait til they put a stop watch on him - there's gonna be alot of mock draft edits going on. Most of all the kid can play and I see alot more than just a guy in a 2 point stance behind the QB. Defensively, I'm really warming up to Haden (and part of this comes from watching the value of Revis).

- Tom F.

I am going to follow Flugs' lead but I am going to pick someone other than Spiller or Haden.

Offense: Sam Bradford, QB (Oklahoma)-- A superb decision maker. Very accurate. Will get nitpicked to death by the predraft analysis but Mike Holmgren (the QB guru) will see through all of that and decide he doesn't like #3 or #10 enough NOT to take this guy.

Defense: Rolando McClain, LB (Alabama)-- This guy is an animal. I saw it with my own two eyes in Pasadena. I also like Jerry Hughes from TCU but Bowens isn't going to be around forever and Maiava won't be the answer.

That said, I think that Haden is the pick unless someone supposedly going in the top 5 drops (like an Eric Berry)

• 2 months later...

Archived