THE BROWNS BOARD

A 6 Round Mock Somebody Saw Fit for Us

Flugel

I was looking online today for some Mock Drafts out there just to piece together some names with our various draft slots. This one site had 6 rounds full of prospects going to each of the 32 different NFL teams. I found this interesting and of course I think you'll notice some errors in judgement as to where some of these guys will fall to. I can't imagine our SEC fans hating this mock draft.

1st Round #7 CB Joe Haden UF (Revis shows us the value of a shutdown corner)

2nd Round #39 WR Brandon Lefell LSU (need a big play? not a bad choice)

3rd Round #70 QB Jevan Snead Ole Miss (if we get the junior season version that wouldn't suck)

3rd Round #84 OLB Jason Worilds VT

4th Round #102 DE Lindsey Witten UConn

5th Round #130 DE Greg Romeus Pitt

5th Round #134 QB Max Hall BYU (don't know him but I want 2 QBs in this draft)

5th Round #148 SS Kurt Coleman OSU

6th Round #160 TE Aaron Hernandez UF (this late doesn't seem realistic but I'd love it)

I was looking online today for some Mock Drafts out there just to piece together some names with our various draft slots. This one site had 6 rounds full of prospects going to each of the 32 different NFL teams. I found this interesting and of course I think you'll notice some errors in judgement as to where some of these guys will fall to. I can't imagine our SEC fans hating this mock draft.

1st Round #7 CB Joe Haden UF (Revis shows us the value of a shutdown corner)

2nd Round #39 WR Brandon Lefell LSU (need a big play? not a bad choice)

3rd Round #70 QB Jevan Snead Ole Miss (if we get the junior season version that wouldn't suck)

3rd Round #84 OLB Jason Worilds VT

4th Round #102 DE Lindsey Witten UConn

5th Round #130 DE Greg Romeus Pitt

5th Round #134 QB Max Hall BYU (don't know him but I want 2 QBs in this draft)

5th Round #148 SS Kurt Coleman OSU

6th Round #160 TE Aaron Hernandez UF (this late doesn't seem realistic but I'd love it)

Not bad....I like Snead.

I agree on Hernandez...the kid isn't a dummy. He probably got a late 1st, top of the 2nd grade by the folks who advise jrs thinking of leaving early, and that is probably where he goes.

I would be shocked if he lasts until the mid 2nd round.

Hernandez has 1st round talent, but he could slide because he's not a great blocker. Also, Urban Meyer and him didn't see eye to eye, which could scare off some teams.

I love his receiving ability: talent-wise, he's somewhere between Dustin Keller and Kellen Winslow. If BQ's going to be our QB, he needs someone like Hernandez to make plays for him in the middle of the field.

Some thoughts:

- Love the Haden pick

- LaFell's a lot like MoMass: good size, above average speed, mediocre hands. But I don't think he's as smart or a great character guy. Not an awful pick at #39, but he wouldn't be my first choice

- Not a big Snead fan. Watching him is good for comedic value, but only if he's not on your team.

- Worilds has special ability: he's more explosive off the snap than any of our edge rushers. However, he's got a scary history of shoulder issues and was very inconsistent this year. He might be worth a gamble in the 3rd because of his upside.

- Romeus could be a top ten pick next year; he opted to return to Pitt for his senior year.

No to Worlids,Whitte

Hell no to snead and Hall

Coleman, Hernandez and Romeues should all be gone

LOL! Thanks for your honesty Buckeye! What good is a mock draft if you can't mock it?

Not sure I know which version of Jevan Snead is heading to the NFL so I understand your discomfort with him. The one in 2008 did a pretty nice job in a pretty tough conference; and I think he became the only blemish on Florida's National Championship season. Losing a HUGE target like Mike Wallace was a bigger blow to him than anyone anticipated. Somebody corrected me on Snead but I believe he was a transfer if I'm not mistaking which impacts his eligibility.

Hall? I have to be honest - I don't watch too many BYU football games in my area of the country to give a fair answer on what I think he has. You sound like you've seen enough of him to never want more. What are his biggest weaknesses that assure you he won't make it at the next level?

As for Hernandez, I'd be happy with him in round 3 so that round 6 thing seemed way off. That guy is Kellen Winslow without the Diva dress and protective Hall of Fame father.

I thought the first 2 guys he mentioned were pretty logical choices on a team looking for playmakers on offense and defense. It feels like Brandon Lefell has been making big plays at Death Valley for alot more than 4 years. That kid is gonna be a pretty damn good draft pick for somebody if he falls to round 2.

- Tom F.

LOL! Thanks for your honesty Buckeye! What good is a mock draft if you can't mock it?

Not sure I know which version of Jevan Snead is heading to the NFL so I understand your discomfort with him. The one in 2008 did a pretty nice job in a pretty tough conference; and I think he became the only blemish on Florida's National Championship season. Losing a HUGE target like Mike Wallace was a bigger blow to him than anyone anticipated. Somebody corrected me on Snead but I believe he was a transfer if I'm not mistaking which impacts his eligibility.

Hall? I have to be honest - I don't watch too many BYU football games in my area of the country to give a fair answer on what I think he has. You sound like you've seen enough of him to never want more. What are his biggest weaknesses that assure you he won't make it at the next level?

As for Hernandez, I'd be happy with him in round 3 so that round 6 thing seemed way off. That guy is Kellen Winslow without the Diva dress and protective Hall of Fame father.

I thought the first 2 guys he mentioned were pretty logical choices on a team looking for playmakers on offense and defense. It feels like Brandon Lefell has been making big plays at Death Valley for alot more than 4 years. That kid is gonna be a pretty damn good draft pick for somebody if he falls to round 2.

- Tom F.

Snead transferred from Texas after 2006 when he couldn't beat out Colt McCoy.

Snead transferred from Texas after 2006 when he couldn't beat out Colt McCoy.

Thanks Earl!

I gotta be honest - the 2009 season for Snead was a head scratcher. There were some high expectations for him after a nice 2008 season. I only saw limited parts of 4 Ole Miss games in 2009. However, I was completely baffled at how little they tried using McCusker in all 4 games I watched. When I say that - I meant their best scoring weapon was off the field when they were playing offense alot more than he should have been in lieu of much lesser players. It also seemed like they were far too reluctant to put him in the backfield because they wanted to go with a slower power back instead. Couldn't understand the mentality for the life of me but oh well. That being the case, I'm not sold ALL of Snead's 09 shortcomings were entirely his fault. What was his fault was too many INTs for comfort. I quickly learned how important Mike Wallace was to their offense in 08 and how much the chemistry changed in his absence.

As I've shared on occasion, I have season tix to Vanderbilt Games. I gotta tell you the best pass I saw in college football this year came from an absolute rope Snead threw hitting his receiver in stride right at the goal line along the the right sideline. It was about a 45 yard throw where he scrambled to his right. We all thought it was going to be a sack on 3rd and forever. Turns out it became the nail in the Vandy's coffin that day.

Who knows - maybe the right franchise, coaching staff and surrounding players can make him a decent mid to late round pick. I don't remember too many people thinking Tom Brady was gonna be very significant while I've seen some franchises drafting goofballs like Kyle Boller, Patrick Ramsey and JP's Lost-man in round 1. The QB position hasn't ever been an exact science so I heard many reasons why Joe Montana wasn't worthy of 1st round consideration only to hear Rick Mirer was. Meanwhile, Joe Theismann, Warren Moon and Jeff Garcia had to prove themselves in Canada before they could frequent Pro Bowls in the NFL. Make sense? It shouldn't.

- Tom F.

As I've shared on occasion, I have season tix to Vanderbilt Games. I gotta tell you the best pass I saw in college football this year came from an absolute rope Snead threw hitting his receiver in stride right at the goal line along the the right sideline. It was about a 45 yard throw where he scrambled to his right. We all thought it was going to be a sack on 3rd and forever. Turns out it became the nail in the Vandy's coffin that day.

Snead's play in the Vandy game really disappointed me. When you've got a sizable but not insurmountable 23-0 lead in the 3rd Q, you can't throw super-dumb picks on consecutive drives, as Snead did.

He's got a strong arm, but the accuracy just isn't there. And based on what I've seen, I'm inclined to believe the smarts aren't either.

Snead's play in the Vandy game really disappointed me. When you've got a sizable but not insurmountable 23-0 lead in the 3rd Q, you can't throw super-dumb picks on consecutive drives, as Snead did.

He's got a strong arm, but the accuracy just isn't there. And based on what I've seen, I'm inclined to believe the smarts aren't either.

That was back when Ole Miss was impacted with 28 cases of the swine flu the week of and the week before the matchup. Reality is they weren't going to play their best ball when they were starting alot of JV equivalents. Just to illustrate this I'll show you exactly how many touches their best player McCluster had (below) because he barely played. When there's backups that aren't accustomed to playing with starters - you get guys running the wrong routes, turning the wrong way and protections breaking down which can REALLY make a QB look bad or as you said "lacking smarts." When everyone seemed to be on the same page - I saw 3 TD passes by Snead and one was as purdy as it gets. In the 6 home games I attended - guess how many opposing QBs threw at least 3 TD passes on them besides Snead? Zero.

Mississippi Rushing

CAR YDS TD LG

Bolden 16 89 0 16

Snead 5 28 0 24

Mississippi Receiving

REC YDS TD LG

Hodge 8 122 2 48

McCluster 2 42 0 24

I already said the 2009 season for Snead was a head scratcher. That doesn't change there were high expectations for this kid based on the standard he set in 2008 against some pretty tough competition including the National Champions he beat at Florida. I had 0 to do with this kid's hype. I'm not pretending to be an Ole Miss expert in this so I didn't have enough evidence to inform you what it was that changed his performance level. Maybe it's a SMALL imperfection the right coach can tweak back into the promising kid from 08. I dunno.

FWIW, I'm not saying throw away our 10 other picks so we can draft Snead in round 1. In fact, I'm mostly bringing up QBs we can look at AFTER round 1 Alo so there's going to be imperfections with each. Truth is - I hadn't even considered Snead at all until I saw this mock draft. Then I started to think maybe he's worth consideration in a mid or late round, not to be confused with round 1 or even round 2. SOMETIMES a player like Dan Marino can have that disappointing final college season that creates enough doubt to make him slide on draft day. Maybe it's mechanical that a Houston Nutt isn't wired to correct but a pro coach can. Somebody once saw there was much more to Dan Marino than the extract of games from his senior year. IMO, that's misinterpreting the rule for the exception to it. There had to be enough assets a pro coach saw he could work with. I just don't think a good player wakes up a crappy player 1 morning any more than I think a crappy player can disguise himself as a good player for 13 consecutive ballgames. There's gotta be more to the story when a good player struggles. A good scout will find out what it is specifically: injury/mechanics/emotional/cognitive/roster turbulence/crappy coaching/whatever. That's why your buddy Flugel preaches TOTAL body of work instead of extracts.

- Tom F.

Fair points, Tom.

But just to clarify things, I didn't pull the intelligence Q out of thin air: there have been reports that the coaching staff felt Snead didn't have a strong command of the offense, and multiple sites have reported that he would have faced competition for the starting job had he returned to Ole Miss for his senior year.

We can agree to disagree on this one: I'll stick with "I don't think so," you can stick with "Well, you never know..."

But it's good to see that Mayock agrees with us on Clausen:

Mayock: "I'm not a big Clausen fan."

Fair points, Tom.

But just to clarify things, I didn't pull the intelligence Q out of thin air: there have been reports that the coaching staff felt Snead didn't have a strong command of the offense, and multiple sites have reported that he would have faced competition for the starting job had he returned to Ole Miss for his senior year.

We can agree to disagree on this one: I'll stick with "I don't think so," you can stick with "Well, you never know..."

But it's good to see that Mayock agrees with us on Clausen:

Mayock: "I'm not a big Clausen fan."

Tom, Alo is correct about the intelligence issue. McCoy and Snead were in a dead heat to win the QB job at Texas and Snead did not pick up the offense as quickly. If you look at Snead and judge him by the "eyeball test", he certainly seems to fit the mold even moreso than McCoy yet he couldn't beat him out. I don't know if Ole Miss had to dumb down their offense a la Virginia Tech for Michael Vick but it's been an issue from what I've heard from people in the Texas program.

1ST - Joe Haden CB (Florida)

2ND - Anthony Davis OT (Rutgers)

3RD- Dan LeFevour QB (Central Michian)

3RD- Reshad Jones S (Florida)

4TH- Jon Asamoah OG (Illinois)

Well, there is my top prospects for the browns in the first 4 rounds. I can only hope.

That's a nice list but I don't believe Davis will fall to the second round. I think he's pretty surely a first rounder.

Tom, Alo is correct about the intelligence issue. McCoy and Snead were in a dead heat to win the QB job at Texas and Snead did not pick up the offense as quickly. If you look at Snead and judge him by the "eyeball test", he certainly seems to fit the mold even moreso than McCoy yet he couldn't beat him out. I don't know if Ole Miss had to dumb down their offense a la Virginia Tech for Michael Vick but it's been an issue from what I've heard from people in the Texas program.

Okay, thanks for pointing that out Earl. Alo knows alot of these guys inside out. He'd prolly be able to throw together a mock draft as good as any you see out there and better IMO. The only thing I try to do on occasion is buffer him with make sure you count the total body of work as much as an extraction of less than memorable moments. Because when we're talking QBs after round 1 - it really comes down to which guys have the correctable imperfections and which guys are red flags. That's why I'll take the time to point out the difference in McCoy's numbers in 08 with MUCH better help in front and around him vrs that of 09 when the environment seemed ripe for the development of some bad habits.

Another thing we ALL need to take into consideration is that a consensus that says Tim Couch over Donovan McNabb by an overwhelming majority of experts and fanbases can be WRONG. In 1 breath I heard McNabb came from George DeLeone's Veer Option Offense up at SU which gave us a premature conclusion of send the cleaning staff to HIS workout. Meanwhile, the Coach at UK actually recruited Tim Couch to run a wishbone offense before Hal Mumme Jr got there.

Here's more of my "it's never been an exact science" for us to chew on:

Why was Rick Mirer a better first round candidate by a significant number of scouts than QBs like Joe Montana and Joe Theismann? How does Cade McNown become 1st round material and Tom Brady get slotted for round 6? Why do All Pros or Superbowl QBs like Kurt Warner, Joe Theismann, Jeff Garcia, Warren Moon and Jake Delhomme gotta go via the CFL or NFL Europe or Arena Football before they are deemed worthy of starting in the NFL? Then I see guys like Kyle Boller, JP Losman, Ryan Leaf, Patrick Ramsey, Jamarcus Russell, Joey Harrington, David Carr, Alex Smith and Matt Leinart getting praised for either wonderful workouts or possessing "it." There's a reason there's alot of turnover in NFL brasses that can't peg QBs.

To this day, I think the thing that made me a HUGE Brian Sipe fan was all the experts that said you're sniffing glue and overdosing if you consider Brian Sipe anything better than round 13 material. Meanwhile, we had to trade Paul Warfield to get the experts version of a prototype at #3 overall named Mike Phipps. So what I witnessed Brian Sipe do when throwing for 4000 yards in the days where DBs weren't handcuffed was consistently erasing 2nd half leads and throwing for an average of 4000 passing yards in a successive 3 year period. And it wasn't the prototype that led us to our most exciting football - it was the guy all the experts insisted wouldn't be able to do such a thing. Weak arm, too short, small time competition, not used to midwest temperatures in San Diego,etc. I heard pretty much everything but what tellall tool they used to measure poise, accuracy and confidence under pressure. We're talking about a pretty special QB that earned a league MVP honor. Another thing about Sipe I liked was the WAY he could forget a bad first 3 quarters if/when that was the case to LEAD his team to victory in spite of it all.

Do you know who reminds me alot of this right about now? There's prolly more than 1 guy like this. However, I'm thinking if the kid that was only a 3 star prospect coming out of high school from a small town in Texas who finished his last 2 college years with a record of 25-2 (one of those losses was the National Championship Game his team had the lead when he left the game). That's Colt McCoy so if we have 11 picks and he's there in rd 2 - I don't see how we can't roll the dice on him and bring in a vet for 2010 for him to learn under. Do you want to bet the biggest reason Jimmy Clausen is projecting to be QB #1 is because he was a 5 star recruit that too many scouts just never felt comfortable leapfrogging a 3 star recruit like McCoy ahead of. Which of those guys want to jump at the chance to say they've been wrong about Colt McCoy?

The Northwestern kid (Kaftka) seems like another exciting prospect I hear guys talking about. He'll take some time but people see something special there - don't discount that just because the guy might not fit some prototypical crib sheet. We're not getting paid for this so we shouldn't be afraid to allow ourselves the ability to have some fun it all.

- Tom F.

Tom, there are lots of people out there who want to bash Colt McCoy but as much as I love his positives, those negatives are generally real. For me, it's arm strength. I can't decide if his arm strength is adequate because I think that, short of a cannon arm, it's hard to tell on TV. There have been plenty of guys like a Colt McCoy who've had college success who did pan out despite a lot of skepticism. I would clarify though that to me McCoy is a good pick if he's at a VALUE selection like the third or fourth round. I'm not taking a guy with question marks in the first round and possibly not even the second.

I'm happy to see that Alo went with my first round pick, Haden.

Glad to be a good mock draft influence on him. :rolleyes:

Sorry, Mr. Alo - I was just kidding, and used the wrong smiley.

Archived