THE BROWNS BOARD

$6.5 million in late license and registration fees

Ohio took in more than $6.5 million in late license and registration fees in first three months of new policy. More taxes, I guess it has to come from somewhere. Damn though.

LINK

This is the kind of annoying bullsh*t state and local governments have to resort to so they can find the additional revenue they need without having to call it a "tax". They just hit you with "fees" everywhere you turn. (John will remember Mitt Romney pledging not to raise taxes, then raising a whole host of "fees" instead. Because hey, "I never raised taxes as governor" sounds great on the campaign trail.)

Out where we are it's parking fees and moving violations caught on video camera. Everyone out here seems to have gotten one of these tickets in the last couple years, and they're huge - $250 or so. Plus traffic school, which also costs a fat fee, even though you take it online.

Personally, I'd rather they ask for it in taxes than getting nickel and dimed (if only) whenever possible. But this is the new reality - beyond annoyed to death.

Just about every fee in the state of CT has been raised. On the town level, our sewer fee increases double digit percentage points every year.

As an example, fishing licenses increased from $20 per year to $40. The worse part???? The incremental monies go to the General Fund, not to conservation, etc.

And, remember, fees aren't (supposed to be) tax deductible. In a way it is worse - both that way and in the way Heck described (allowing politicians to say that they maintained tax rates).

Phooey.

Here in Ohio, they are also going to raise fishing license fees, I heard.

well, they couldn't get us on late fees, so...

Taxes in Ohio SUCK. But, at least we don't live in Summit County. It's even higher there. BLECK.

This is the kind of annoying bullsh*t state and local governments have to resort to so they can find the additional revenue they need without having to call it a "tax". They just hit you with "fees" everywhere you turn. (John will remember Mitt Romney pledging not to raise taxes, then raising a whole host of "fees" instead. Because hey, "I never raised taxes as governor" sounds great on the campaign trail.)

Out where we are it's parking fees and moving violations caught on video camera. Everyone out here seems to have gotten one of these tickets in the last couple years, and they're huge - $250 or so. Plus traffic school, which also costs a fat fee, even though you take it online.

Personally, I'd rather they ask for it in taxes than getting nickel and dimed (if only) whenever possible. But this is the new reality - beyond annoyed to death.

I would tend to agree, but with so many people out of work that tax would be somewhat lower, I would think. Hell they tax unemployment, WTF? So yea they have to turn to fees.

Speaking of those moving violations caught on tape. I used to purposely drive by photo radar vans in Denver with sunglasses and a hood on doing 80. When I got them in the mail, I would send it back saying it was not me. Unless a cop was there to hand you the ticket, Colorado law said it was voluntary and did not incur points against your license because they could not prove beyond a reasonable doubt it was you. There were radio show that would give money for the best picture and there were people that would phone in where the vans were set up. I am not sure about other states? I had some funny ass pictures with friends in the picture with their shirts over their heads. Almost like at Cedar Point. Dangerous yes, but funny as hell. Mind you this was 10 years ago.... Good times.

Archived