THE BROWNS BOARD

what if Mangini gets off to another bad start

BuckeyeBulldozer28

Even though I hate "what ifs" I'll add a little to this thread. I think it will all depend on how orginized the front office is next year. If Holmgren feels like the personel is in order and the building is running smooth; I can see him stepping in if Mangini tanks. I just don't see us getting off to a bad start though. We are maybe 4 players away from a 10 to 12 win team here.

There are losses, then there are Losses.

Much would depend on how we are losing and why we are losing.

I am with Mo...I don't think we start out losing 4-5...I see more like every other game....or lose 2, win 2....that sort of deal.

I also think we start to get the homefield advantage back a bit...say 5 or 6 home wins.

If things get off to a bad start and bad decisions are made by mangini/daboll im not sure one or either of them would survive the bye week...i honestly dont anticipate a bad start or bad decisions but my guess would be in the event things went nuts that daboll whom imo should have already been fired would take the first bullet for mangini...

It is realistic that we won't be off to a hot start. We still do not have a great roster and the avalanche of new players we are likely to acquire this off season will need to learn and trust the system.

You have to look for the progress you can see, understand that there is much more at work than meets the eye, and trust that we have people in place that know what they are doing. It will be easier to accept that this time around with all the positive changes the Browns have made.

It is realistic that we won't be off to a hot start. We still do not have a great roster and the avalanche of new players we are likely to acquire this off season will need to learn and trust the system.

You have to look for the progress you can see, understand that there is much more at work than meets the eye, and trust that we have people in place that know what they are doing. It will be easier to accept that this time around with all the positive changes the Browns have made.

I think that's where logic and fan bias against Mangini will come in. I'd be fine with going 0-4 if those losses are by 7 points or less and we are in every game. Even though we can say it now, when we're sitting at 0-4, every Mangini hater in the the USA will be all over him. The press hates him, and loves when he fails. It would be a tremendous credit to Holmgren if he could weather that storm and see Mangini turn it around and finish 9-7 after an 0-4 start. Problem is, I think the towns-people and press would run him out.

It'll be a 1-3 start and the team will finish 7-9

I am beginning to think the 7-9 might be the floor on what the team can do.

First you have to look at how the team finished. It was a good finish that is going to pay dividends once the guys show up to begin next seasons preparation. Rather than enter the season with question marks about the coach and how he does things, the players are going to be able to focus 100% on what they need to do as a team to build upon lasts years finish.

As has been mentioned, we are bound to pick up at least a few FA players who can step in and fill some holes and the draft is bound to infuse at least a few with solid talent. A guy like Berry or Hayden will step in and immediately upgrade the secondary as an example.

Yep....7 wins seems to be the low as I see it. We catch fire a bit, and 10 wins isn't impossible.

We win 10, we take our division.

I wouldnt be particularly surprised by a 0-5 start, even if I dont think that it will happen. The opponents next year are much tougher than the last 4 of last year, and the offense is still abysmal. Depending how the schedule works out, it could be very likely that the Browns start 0-5, as I doubt Harrison and JC will be able to carry the Browns all the way in games against teams who are better than (with the exception of Pittsburgh) 19th in rushing defense, and with better offenses.

However like others said, with the right offseason moves, our defense may be able to improve to a standard where we would still be in games come the 4th quarter, and can remain competitive with the ground game, as I dont see the passing game being a quick fix. I would still give Mangini the full season, although if the offense is still that bad I wouldnt mind MH stepping in that area at all.

Archived