THE BROWNS BOARD

Rookie Brown's LB/DL Marcus Benard on Talking Football LIVE This Friday

bobbyblackjack

Rookie LB/DL Marcus Benard of the Cleveland Browns will be LIVE on Talking Football LIVE this Friday, January 29. The show runs from 2-4pm ET and is heard on WIFI 1460AM in New Jersey. The show can be heard in the Cleveland area on www.wifi1460am.com. Call in and talk to Marcus or your hosts about any NFL topic!!! Call-in number is 347-884-8215.

I wasn't able to hear it, but I have been a HUGE Benard fan from the start. I think this kid is a real "find".

Can anyone post an update please?

Thanks,

Mike

I wasn't able to hear it, but I have been a HUGE Benard fan from the start. I think this kid is a real "find".

Can anyone post an update please?

Thanks,

Mike

I really LIKE this kid too Mike. A while back I posted a thread called "Uplifting Article" which was a cut and paste from someone that summarized some of the pleasant surprises that unfolded down the last couple months of the season. Anyway, I loved the part about Benard. He was basically an undrafted FA rookie that came here with an agenda to PROVE he belongs in the NFL. The way he did this was to bust his hump every single day. The article would go on to say that the day Benard got promoted to the active roster on game day - the entire TEAM gave him a standing ovation in appreciation of all his hard work. Obviously he was getting better because of it.

Taking this to our world - do you want to impress me as a fan? Make the clumsy douchebag QB in black and gold wear you like a jersey every time he drops back to pass. And when he doesn't - it's just as fun watching him worry about where he is.

It sure seemed like our LBing corps got drastically improved when Bowens, Benard, Trusnik and Roth were becoming regulars in the starting rotation. Kaluka Maiava impressed me in the 2nd Ratbird game and late in the season as well. I say this primarily because of the frequency our LBers were making plays at or behind the line of scrimmage. Our defense was starting to get off the field within 4 downs, which is what you want.

- Tom F.

I really LIKE this kid too Mike. A while back I posted a thread called "Uplifting Article" which was a cut and paste from someone that summarized some of the pleasant surprises that unfolded down the last couple months of the season. Anyway, I loved the part about Benard. He was basically an undrafted FA rookie that came here with an agenda to PROVE he belongs in the NFL. The way he did this was to bust his hump every single day. The article would go on to say that the day Benard got promoted to the active roster on game day - the entire TEAM gave him a standing ovation in appreciation of all his hard work. Obviously he was getting better because of it.

Taking this to our world - do you want to impress me as a fan? Make the clumsy douchebag QB in black and gold wear you like a jersey every time he drops back to pass. And when he doesn't - it's just as fun watching him worry about where he is.

It sure seemed like our LBing corps got drastically improved when Bowens, Benard, Trusnik and Roth were becoming regulars in the starting rotation. Kaluka Maiava impressed me in the 2nd Ratbird game and late in the season as well. I say this primarily because of the frequency our LBers were making plays at or behind the line of scrimmage. Our defense was starting to get off the field within 4 downs, which is what you want.

- Tom F.

Tom...It's sort of like the linebackers said goodbye to "read & react" in favor of "let's go GET 'em!". I think Benard & Roth were huge in doing that. Those young men are AGGRESSIVE! Now let's get that shutdown corner & stud safety & this D will shine.

Mike

Tom...It's sort of like the linebackers said goodbye to "read & react" in favor of "let's go GET 'em!". I think Benard & Roth were huge in doing that. Those young men are AGGRESSIVE! Now let's get that shutdown corner & stud safety & this D will shine.

Mike

yeah, i hate how the browns d was mostly a read and react type of d. that's only good in certain situations and it's not something that should be used regularly. it makes a d too predictable and easy to plan against. i think we've seen that style of d since 99. it was nice to see the browns d attack and get after it in the last few games. just imagine if they did that all season?

yeah, i hate how the browns d was mostly a read and react type of d. that's only good in certain situations and it's not something that should be used regularly. it makes a d too predictable and easy to plan against. i think we've seen that style of d since 99. it was nice to see the browns d attack and get after it in the last few games. just imagine if they did that all season?

I hear ya but I don't think it was intended to be read and react at all. It looks like our personnel improved in all the right places to enable "sic em." We even saw some variations of the 46 D on occasion and some formations BB once used on the Buffalo Bills in the Superbowl back when he was the Giants' DC.

I tried to tell alot of people about 1st step instinct when many people were confusing Jackson's tackle volumes for parallels to Mike Johnson. IMO, the difference in the 2 guys is 1st step instinct, which dictates where the LBer puts an end to a play. While D'Qwell has an admirable quality of never giving up on a play and hustling all out - he's more of a similarity to Wali Rainer in where most of his tackles take place. Wali didn't have an oft-doubleteamed Shaun Rogers keeping him as unblocked as Jackson though. The millisecond Bowens changed positions to ILBer (when Jackson got injured) - he was impacting plays right at the line of scrimmage or behind it consistently. I thought the upgrade was significant if I'm being honest. Hence, our defense was getting off the field after 3 downs far more frequently. Even better? This didn't change at all when Rogers got injured. Stats can be misleading when your seeing a MLBer looking like he's playing Safety vrs the run.

This is pertinent here so I hope it makes sense. I remembered a LBer on my team (our captain) proud of how about tackles he made in 1 game. Thinking our head coach was going to acknowledge his heroics - the coach read the stat sheet the Monday after the game to us and addressed this LBer: "28 tackles? Big freakin deal! We weren't getting off the field because we didn't play with an ounce of instinct. You're a MLBer - not a Safety so I want you making plays at the line of scrimmage. That's a 53 on your belly not a 23. Opponents are supposed to be intimidated by a MLBer instead of excited about a fresh set of downs." Theme there? A credible football mind didn't give the first rat if his MLBer made 100 tackles - he just wanted his defense off the field with his MLBer having more of an impact at the line of scrimmage. 1st step instinct gets a defense off the field in 3 downs while recovery/hustle hopes to prevent TDs and fill stat sheets. It's the difference between memorable and forgettable.

Marcus Benard was doing things in his first few appearances that I waited 3 years to see in Jackson (and still haven't). That's get to the QB. Memorable! I think there's so much more to the position than grabbing ankles in a pile. I look at our LBers all of a sudden and we went from doughnut hole to cavity drilled and filled virutally overnight and very quietly. Here's our current LBer rotation personnel that IMPROVED our performance on D: Wimbley, Roth, Trusnik, Bowens, Maiava, Benard. Seemed like the blitz had a lot of giddyup both inside and outside that coincided with the time frame we lost Jackson.

FWIW, I had mega-high expectations for Jackson on draft day so I never changed the criteria to being happy with ankle grabbing, staying on the field, and resembling Wali Rainer making tackles in the secondary. Maybe I just got spoiled looking at REAL LBers when we had guys like Mike Johnson, Pepper Johnson, Clay Matthews (could play inside or outside), Carl Banks, Chip Banks and Dick Ambrose. Opponents FEARED these guys or paid dearly when they didn't. 1st step instinct and that's why you NEED a good talent evaluator bringing a 3-4 scheme some 3-4 backers. I think we're seeing Phil Savage didn't have an eye for the types of LBers needed in the 3-4 with the exception of Wimbley. I know we have some Jackson loyalists and enthusiasts but I think he's better suited for a 4-3 scheme as an OLBer at this level. I'll bet he has decent exchange value while we've quietly deepened our LBer position.

- Tom F.

I absolutely agree that the D wasn't set up as read & react...that was just how the LBs played, lacking that "1st step instinct", which comes from knowledge & vision. My opinion is that reacting instinctively makes up for being a little slower in the 40. It's called game speed & why I love the philosophy of going after intelligent players. I've had enough of watching players who literally have to "stop & think" AFTER the play is underway. We're heading in the right direction, & we definitely need to sign Roth.

Mike

I hear ya but I don't think it was intended to be read and react at all. It looks like our personnel improved in all the right places to enable "sic em." We even saw some variations of the 46 D on occasion and some formations BB once used on the Buffalo Bills in the Superbowl back when he was the Giants' DC.

I tried to tell alot of people about 1st step instinct when many people were confusing Jackson's tackle volumes for parallels to Mike Johnson. IMO, the difference in the 2 guys is 1st step instinct, which dictates where the LBer puts an end to a play. While D'Qwell has an admirable quality of never giving up on a play and hustling all out - he's more of a similarity to Wali Rainer in where most of his tackles take place. Wali didn't have an oft-doubleteamed Shaun Rogers keeping him as unblocked as Jackson though. The millisecond Bowens changed positions to ILBer (when Jackson got injured) - he was impacting plays right at the line of scrimmage or behind it consistently. I thought the upgrade was significant if I'm being honest. Hence, our defense was getting off the field after 3 downs far more frequently. Even better? This didn't change at all when Rogers got injured. Stats can be misleading when your seeing a MLBer looking like he's playing Safety vrs the run.

This is pertinent here so I hope it makes sense. I remembered a LBer on my team (our captain) proud of how about tackles he made in 1 game. Thinking our head coach was going to acknowledge his heroics - the coach read the stat sheet the Monday after the game to us and addressed this LBer: "28 tackles? Big freakin deal! We weren't getting off the field because we didn't play with an ounce of instinct. You're a MLBer - not a Safety so I want you making plays at the line of scrimmage. That's a 53 on your belly not a 23. Opponents are supposed to be intimidated by a MLBer instead of excited about a fresh set of downs." Theme there? A credible football mind didn't give the first rat if his MLBer made 100 tackles - he just wanted his defense off the field with his MLBer having more of an impact at the line of scrimmage. 1st step instinct gets a defense off the field in 3 downs while recovery/hustle hopes to prevent TDs and fill stat sheets. It's the difference between memorable and forgettable.

Marcus Benard was doing things in his first few appearances that I waited 3 years to see in Jackson (and still haven't). That's get to the QB. Memorable! I think there's so much more to the position than grabbing ankles in a pile. I look at our LBers all of a sudden and we went from doughnut hole to cavity drilled and filled virutally overnight and very quietly. Here's our current LBer rotation personnel that IMPROVED our performance on D: Wimbley, Roth, Trusnik, Bowens, Maiava, Benard. Seemed like the blitz had a lot of giddyup both inside and outside that coincided with the time frame we lost Jackson.

FWIW, I had mega-high expectations for Jackson on draft day so I never changed the criteria to being happy with ankle grabbing, staying on the field, and resembling Wali Rainer making tackles in the secondary. Maybe I just got spoiled looking at REAL LBers when we had guys like Mike Johnson, Pepper Johnson, Clay Matthews (could play inside or outside), Carl Banks, Chip Banks and Dick Ambrose. Opponents FEARED these guys or paid dearly when they didn't. 1st step instinct and that's why you NEED a good talent evaluator bringing a 3-4 scheme some 3-4 backers. I think we're seeing Phil Savage didn't have an eye for the types of LBers needed in the 3-4 with the exception of Wimbley. I know we have some Jackson loyalists and enthusiasts but I think he's better suited for a 4-3 scheme as an OLBer at this level. I'll bet he has decent exchange value while we've quietly deepened our LBer position.

- Tom F.

I agree 100%. While it is useful to have a "clean-up" player on your defense, that player should not be an ILB. Your clean-up, touchdown saving player should, at the the very most, be a member of the secondary.

As for our defense- I am actually legitimately excited to see them suit up next season. For most of my life, the Browns have been a joke defensively (outside of 93-94). I think Rob Ryan has done a great job so far in fielding a defense that has the "want-to". To me, that's the biggest part of playing defense. Ryan lit a fire under their butts, and it's been a long time coming. I agree that our defense was seemingly a "read-and-react" defense, no matter what the players or coaches said. And, at times, read-and-react is a good quality in a defense. But the key to fielding a successful D is creating fear and doubt in the minds of the other team, and that's something we haven't done in a long time. I think, with the addition of some key secondary players, our defense can be pretty damn good for years to come.

Archived