THE BROWNS BOARD

Holmgren wants QB named before training camp

halfsane

Holmgren wants to make QB call before training camp

Posted: January 27th, 2010 | NFL.com Staff | Tags: Brady Quinn, Cleveland Browns, Derek Anderson, Mike Holmgren

New Browns president Mike Holmgren appears to be leaning toward choosing between Brady Quinn and Derek Anderson before the start of training camp.

As a guest on the Dan Patrick Show on Wednesday, Holmgren was asked if both quarterbacks would be with the team come training camp.

“I won’t tell you that right now,” Holmgren said. “They’re both here right now. We’ll see how it goes. I’m not a big believer in that competition stuff.

“We better make up our mind before we go to camp and then put our resources into one guy.”

Quinn, who had a passer rating of 67.2, started nine games for the team before being placed on injured reserve with a foot injury. Anderson got the nod in seven games and had a passer rating of 42.1.

The Browns ended the season on a four-game winning streak to finish 5-11. Cleveland owns the seventh pick in the draft.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/01/27/holmgren-w...-training-camp/

I dig it, hopefully Mangini will agree and make the call early.

I couldnt agree more ,we need to name our guy and put everything behind him..this is ultimately how you make a winner or discover a loser.. no more mangini headgames please it costed us dearly last year...;)

If Holmy wants a starter, I am willing to bet it's anderson. :unsure:

doesn't matter, when the team commits to a QB and dumps the other (assuming DA or BQ is chosen). everyone here will then be screaming for ratliff to get the start after 1 loss. and if ratliff isn't the number 2, they'll be screaming for whoever is.

Browns fans always prefer the QB who isn't actually playing. even if they are worse. been that way since the browns came back

doesn't matter, when the team commits to a QB and dumps the other (assuming DA or BQ is chosen). everyone here will then be screaming for ratliff to get the start after 1 loss. and if ratliff isn't the number 2, they'll be screaming for whoever is.

Browns fans always prefer the QB who isn't actually playing. even if they are worse. been that way since the browns came back

Well that's only true because by and large our QB has sucked to such an extent that we wanted to see the back-up cause hell, he couldn't be worse, right?

Other than 2007, I think that has been true.

This is good news and long overdue around this organization. It's all about the pre-season reps that are needed for the starting QB. Neither one of our guys had enough last season and it added to the rough start of the season.

For my money, DA is gonzo. He'll be traded or cut before the roster bonus is paid. I still believe Quinn can be our guy. He makes fewer mistakes and better decisions than DA.

Everyone wanted to talk about how our quarterbacks "regressed" under Daboll. The truth was that our talent at WR and TE disappeared after 2008. No Winslow, Edwards, Stallworth, etc. My point is that I believe Quinn will get better when our WR's and TE's are better.

Unfortunately, I don't know how we upgrade immediately this year when looking at the FA and draft crop at these positions. If anything, I like the tight ends in the draft more than the wide receivers. Gresham, Moeaki, and Hernandez would all help us immediately if drafted. After Bryant and Tate, who won't drop to us in the 2nd round, I don't think any of the wide receivers in the draft are better than what we have.

Well that's only true because by and large our QB has sucked to such an extent that we wanted to see the back-up cause hell, he couldn't be worse, right?

Other than 2007, I think that has been true.

and part of the reason we havn't had a good QB is because people/coaches don't give our QBs enough time/support to develope.

because intelligence isn't something a QB can just work on. BQ is a smart QB, thats one of his advantages. DA is a very stupid QB, and thats something that can't just be changed in a season or 2.

throwing mechanics, accuracy and what not are trainable physical skill sets. of which can be easily tweaked and improved upon in a very short amount of time when compared to QB smarts. a QB who is smart and makes good decisions, but with bad accuracy can be molded and shaped much easier than a qb who is dumber than rocks but has good accuracy.

In DA's case hes dumber than rocks, AND has poor accuracy. BQ at least has something to work with

Kurt Warner, I heard, is going to be holding a press conference.

Will he retire? Is he at the end of his contract?

Maybe we could get him in with the Browns for a 1 yr deal, draft Zak Robinson to learn behind him, and trade

both DA for well... a 7th round pick, and Quinn for a 4th round pick ?

Something should happen. I don't see picking either one of the Browns qb's. Quinn never grabbed the reins and

DA kept throwing them on the ground, or to the other team.

because intelligence isn't something a QB can just work on. BQ is a smart QB, thats one of his advantages. DA is a very stupid QB, and thats something that can't just be changed in a season or 2.

throwing mechanics, accuracy and what not are trainable physical skill sets. of which can be easily tweaked and improved upon in a very short amount of time when compared to QB smarts. a QB who is smart and makes good decisions, but with bad accuracy can be molded and shaped much easier than a qb who is dumber than rocks but has good accuracy.

In DA's case hes dumber than rocks, AND has poor accuracy. BQ at least has something to work with

I'm trying not to start a debate over two bad QBs, but when has BQ showed his intelligence outside of his articulate interviews?He panicks as soon as the play materializes into something he wasn't expecting. Now, to me that says A, he doesn't know what he's seeing, and B, he doesn't have enough of an idea as to whats happening on the field to make a good decision. He either throws it to the 3rd option for a 2 yard gain, or he falls down and takes a sack. BQ has never shown he is a smart football player. He has always looked clueless out there. The same goes for DA which brings me to my point, these guys suck.

Why is it that everytime someone refers to Brady Quinn they always talk about his decision making? His decision making skills are better than Derek Anderson but theres more to playing quarterback than smart decisions. I guess everyone overlooks the horrible accuracy that Brady has show so far.

And DA is known for his pinpoint throws, right?

we'll stick with Quinn, who is cheap.

That's a great reason for picking a QB to run your franchise ... because he's cheap.

I think that's the formula the Saints and Colts used to get to the Big Game.

We have Lerner's money, Holmgren's expertise and track record, no salary cap, and an up-and-coming young offensive line ... so let's stick with a guy who hasn't excited anybody because he's cheap?

Go get the best veteran that's available and draft his successor this year and let's get this QB thing behind us once and for all...

Zombo

Holmgren doesn't expect both Anderson and Quinn to be in camp

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on January 28, 2010 11:39 AM ET

Mike Holmgren has been given plenty of chances to back Brady Quinn this offseason, but he says it's too early in the process to call Quinn a starter.

It's not too early for Holmgren to declare that either Quinn or Derek Anderson will likely be elsewhere before training camp.

"I won't tell you that right now," Holmgren said Thursday on the Dan Patrick Show. "They're both here right now. We'll see how it goes. I'm not a big believer in that competition stuff. We better make up our mind before we go to camp and then put our resources into one guy."

Anderson's roster bonus in March and high base salary makes him the more likely trade candidate. Quinn's foot injury, however, could potentially keep him off the field in early OTAs.

Holmgren may not believe in competition, but we suspect he'll be bringing in a quarterback of his own that could be an option down the line. To this stage, neither Quinn nor Anderson has looked like a quarterback to put all of Cleveland's resources into.

this should be interesting to see how this plays out. i think da is will be dealt before bq.

One thing SHOULD BE clear...DA is gone. He is owed huge money and he has not shown anything but regression since '07. What reason does Holmgren have to keep him other than his huge arm, which does no good if your accuracy is as bad as DA's is and your decision making reflects that of a high school freshman QB. I'm not saying Quinn is the answer. All I am saying is that, if there is a QB on this team that will be the starter for the Browns next season, Quinn will be that QB. I agree that we need to see who else can be brought in and who we can get in the 3rd round. But Quinn is likely to be our starter this season. He is still relatively inexpensive, has shown signs of being smart under center, and accuracy is coachable. If he practices, he CAN get better accuracy. If DA practices, he CANNOT get any smarter. That's something you can't really teach to a QB of his age.

I personally am still leaning toward wanting Kolb in here and signing a veteran backup and even then drafting a project such as Pike.

Quinn is likely to be our starter this season. He is still relatively inexpensive, has shown signs of being smart under center, and accuracy is coachable.

So this is the big argument for Quinn:

1 . Cheap (great ... like I said, the road to he Super Bowl is obviously paved by going cheap at the QB position)

2. Shows signs of being smart (great ... don't let go of Quinn ... we may never find another smart QB ... unless we bring back Frye and his 38 wonderlic!)

3. Accuracy is coachable (great ... we're going to "coach him up" to throw passes on target ... worked so well for Anderson ... how bout we get a guy that is already accurate? We ARE talking about NFL starter and not taxi squad project, you know?)

Zombo

--is everyone afraid to just let go and get a real QB?

I'd take Kolb and Pike, personally. But I wouldn't be opposed to McNabb, either. I just don't like McCoy.

If the Eagles trade Kolb for something we are willing to get rid of, then Kolb is likely not good enough to be the answer.

I think we have about 0% chance of getting Kolb.

So this is the big argument for Quinn:

1 . Cheap (great ... like I said, the road to he Super Bowl is obviously paved by going cheap at the QB position)

2. Shows signs of being smart (great ... don't let go of Quinn ... we may never find another smart QB ... unless we bring back Frye and his 38 wonderlic!)

3. Accuracy is coachable (great ... we're going to "coach him up" to throw passes on target ... worked so well for Anderson ... how bout we get a guy that is already accurate? We ARE talking about NFL starter and not taxi squad project, you know?)

Zombo

--is everyone afraid to just let go and get a real QB?

Not at all Zombo. Get rid of them both and get someone that is good.

The problem being, there are no real marquee free agent veteran QB's out there, so we'd have to trade for one.

McNabb or Kolb are likely too high a price. Vick on the other hand might be doable for a 3rd rounder. Just not sure I want Vick as my starter any more than I want Quinn or DA.

Warner and Favre will retire, not to mention both are signed for 2010 (whether they play or not is a different story.) To get them on the Browns will likely cost us more than we are willing to pay.

Kerry Collins might be the only guy available with decent experience that could lead us for a year or two while we get a young guy up to speed. Although Collins didn't look very good this year either.

Archived