THE BROWNS BOARD

Holmgren wants QB named before training camp

halfsane

Not at all Zombo. Get rid of them both and get someone that is good.

The problem being, there are no real marquee free agent veteran QB's out there, so we'd have to trade for one.

McNabb or Kolb are likely too high a price. Vick on the other hand might be doable for a 3rd rounder. Just not sure I want Vick as my starter any more than I want Quinn or DA.

Warner and Favre will retire, not to mention both are signed for 2010 (whether they play or not is a different story.) To get them on the Browns will likely cost us more than we are willing to pay.

Kerry Collins might be the only guy available with decent experience that could lead us for a year or two while we get a young guy up to speed. Although Collins didn't look very good this year either.

There's always a few more Vets you can shake loose. We have the $$, the organization, young rocks on the o-line, and if you are any good you can start right away and continue to start ... it'll be an attractive landing spot for some QBs

Zombo

I'm trying not to start a debate over two bad QBs, but when has BQ showed his intelligence outside of his articulate interviews?He panicks as soon as the play materializes into something he wasn't expecting. Now, to me that says A, he doesn't know what he's seeing, and B, he doesn't have enough of an idea as to whats happening on the field to make a good decision. He either throws it to the 3rd option for a 2 yard gain, or he falls down and takes a sack. BQ has never shown he is a smart football player. He has always looked clueless out there. The same goes for DA which brings me to my point, these guys suck.

I just don't get how BQ is so "intelligent" and DA is such a "dumbass" on the playing field, when their stats are quite frankly the same and the results in the win column tend to favor DA. I got to looking at situational stats, and couldn't make head nor tail out of it, but one thing stood out... The last two minutes of each half, when you'd think most QBs tend to really be concentrating, BQ is sitting there with his make nothing happen passer's rating of 60.2, DA's last two minutes of the half rating is 105 (that's Favre/Manning/Brees range). Too bad he can't seem to keep that concentration the entire game, but at least 1 QB on the team can make something happen on occasion.

I just don't get how BQ is so "intelligent" and DA is such a "dumbass" on the playing field, when their stats are quite frankly the same and the results in the win column tend to favor DA. I got to looking at situational stats, and couldn't make head nor tail out of it, but one thing stood out... The last two minutes of each half, when you'd think most QBs tend to really be concentrating, BQ is sitting there with his make nothing happen passer's rating of 60.2, DA's last two minutes of the half rating is 105. Too bad he can't seem to keep that concentration the entire game, but at least 1 QB on the team can make something happen on occasion.

I agree with you completely. I was trying not to ruffle any feathers but you sucked me in. Brady has never shown that he is an intelligent player. Only a savy speaker (thanks law degree). He also has never shown to be atheletic as some like to argue. And as I said before, when DA is comfortable, he's effective. I believe he has had 4 offensive systems in 5 years? The two minute drill doesn't vary much from system to system so its no wonder he does better in that role. I would like a new guy in here but if DA is the guy, I'll be okay with that. One thing is for sure though. Now that Lerner's "golden boy project" has proved futile and we no longer need Quinn to sell tickets; we will not have both guys in camp this year. And I truley believe, based on everything I've seen from these two players that Quinn wil be dealt. DA has almost no value and I cannot see going forward with a guy like Quinn.

I do believe we'd be better off with Charlie Frye next year, rather than Quinn or DA.

He had it all except the strong arm. All DA has is a strong arm. And Quinn has a little of a lot, but

dropped his chance to take over as the Browns qb.

Zak Robinson, I think. He'll be in the Senior Bowl...

Personally, I think Holmgren will have a LOT of input on the QB decision, and given his expertise & experience, that's a very GOOD thing. His expertise with QBs & the solid management team being assembled leaves me in the rare position (since 1999) of trusting whatever decision is made. It will be fun to see what happens, & we can all speculate in the meantime, although our speculation will certainly not influence the Team's decision (also a good thing).

Mike

If DA has any once of trade ability in him, it would be amazing. He did well one year, and he was great. It just seems like he lost total confidence with himself. BQ showed promise this year and he also looked downright terrible. If you all remember correctly we had like 4 or 5 games where there were at least 10 or more dropped passes. That is neither QBs fault. Also if you noticed towards the end of the year, guys were catching and blocking like they are paid to do, and we were winning. Quinn managed the game pretty well down the stretch. I think he prepares to hard for game day, kinda like when you were in schoo and you studied till you brain fried and then on the big test day, you failed miserably. Its so hard to put judgement on who should be the starter. Each one brings his own edge. If DA had confidence like he had against the NY Giants last year, we would average 40 points a game. Brady is still getting used to the nfl speed and is progressing ok, when he was is the no huddle last year, he looked like a whole different player. Im glad there wont be the qb battle in camp this year, but I do think DA will be released and BQ will probably get traded to the Bronco's for like a 3rd or 4th rounder. Then he will tear us a new one when we play him. Cant wait to see Cribbs run back a td on sunday.

You people that think DA is gonna be anywhere near the Browns training camp next season wanna share what you're smokin?

I'm smokin' reality. The so called expert fans have been proclaiming DA gone each year since the end of the '07 season. They've been absolutely wrong so far.

I'm not so sure either of the guys will be here come training camp, but if it's a choice between DA and BQ, I'd be hard pressed to dump a QB that has actually shown something in favor of one that hasn't. I'm auew the coaches, GM and Holmgren are going to have a LOT of discussions in the upcoming weeks about the upsides and downsides of both of these kids and make a decision as to whether they're going to stick with one of them.

I seriously can't believe people on this site think that the Browns would keep that clown DA with a 42 QB rating. Quinn played on this same putrid joke team and had a better rating than Mark Sanchez. Why do people think Quinn sucks so bad yet praise Sanchez? Quinn has less career starts than Sanchez as well. If the Browns keep anyone it will be Quinn. Believe it or not, Quinn's number have improved each year, while DA's have regressed. If you don't believe me go check.

My money says if it's between DA and BQ, it will be BQ.

I'm with you on that, I think its going to be BQ and DA is gone. It seems like a lot of people forget even though the quarterback is the cornerstone of the offense, hes doesn't exist in a vacuum. It takes a village to raise a good qb :P I could be mistaken but Joe Montana didn't have an amazing throwing arm, but he was smart and accurate, and he had a good supporting cast. Whats to say BQ couldn't develop into a good QB given the right environment, which is presumably being set by Holmgren?

It seems like a lot of people forget even though the quarterback is the cornerstone of the offense, hes doesn't exist in a vacuum. It takes a village to raise a good qb :P

That's exactly why it's really up in the air as to which of these two guys the team might keep. DA did quite well when the rest of the team wasn't in turmoil. Neither of them did well this last two years, and there were lots of problems with the entire team during that time.

That's exactly why it's really up in the air as to which of these two guys the team might keep. DA did quite well when the rest of the team wasn't in turmoil. Neither of them did well this last two years, and there were lots of problems with the entire team during that time.

yup no doubt, there was A LOT of negative karma last season.....oc was trying to implant an offense using qb's with shaken confidence....each week was a newer version of offensive ineptitude.....not exactly a good environment to groom a qb who can help you win games......offensive execution should be better with more stable team atmosphere this year.....both qb's need to watch film of the late, great Johnny Unitas....he is the poster boy for qualities neither bq or da has shown to date..

POISE, POISE, POISE......this seperates the great's from the mediocre and imo non of the Brown's qb's has the mojo to make it happen......flush em both and let's start anew

Archived