THE BROWNS BOARD

Unit/roster Rankings

The Gipper

This is a companion thread to the Dueling Depth Chart thread. After looking all those over, I come up with Unit rankings for each position for the 4 AFCN teams. Start with the offenses:

QBs

1. Steelers with BR.

2. Ravens with Flacco

3. Bengals with Dalton

4. Browns with Weeden

This simply has to be this order given history. (and though Flacco may now be paid more, BR to me is still superior....unless he gets slowed down by injuries.)

WRs:

1. Bengals. AJ Green gives them this top spot

2. Steelers. I give them the very slightest of edges due to experience

3. Browns. Most room for improvement imo.

4. Ravens. What will Torrey Smith and Jacoby Jones be without Anquan Boldin's steady hand?

TEs:

1. Bengals. Gresham and Eifert give the edge.

2. Steelers. Miller still going steady

3. or 4. Browns

3. or 4. Ravens

This last depends on the return of Pitta and Dickson to Ravens. If they don't return, they are 4th. If they do, Browns go last.

RBs:

1. Browns. TRich will become the dominant running force in this division (and conference?)

2. Ravens. Rice still quality, but surpassed by TR

3. Bengals. Green-Ellis is a veteran hand.

4. Steelers. If Laveon Bell becomes a force, that could jump Steelers up one notch.

FBs

1. Ravens. Leach and Juzcyczk put them at top

2. Bengals

3. Steelers not sure about these two teams, could be reversed

4. Browns. As long as Marecic is listed as starter, Browns bring up rear. Could change with a change.

LTs:

1. Browns. JT is the premiere OL in this division

2. Bengals, with Whitworth

3. Ravens, with McKinnie

4. Steelers with Adams

LGs:

1. Ravens with Osemele

2. Bengals with Wharton

3. Browns with Pinkston

4. Steelers with Foster

this is an overall weak position for the whole division

Center:

1. Steelers with Pouncely. Slight edge

2. Browns with Mack

3. Bengals with Robinson

4. Ravens with Gradkowski

Top two heavily outweigh the bottom two

RG:

1. Ravens with Yanda, a Pro Bowler

2. Bengals with Zeitler

3. Browns with Lauvao

4. Steelers with DeCastro

DeCastro has to see the field before his status improves

RT:

1. Browns with The Schwartz. Played at a very high level as a rookie

2. Ravens with Oher

3. Bengals with Andre Smith

4. Steelers with Gilbert

Here is the defense. This was by far more difficult for me, mainly because so many positions didn't have a clear rank...and because of the positioning issues I perceive...and because of the 3-4 vs. 4-3 question:

LDEs

1. Browns with Rubin

2. Ravens with Canty

3. Steelers with Hood

4. Bengals with Dunlap

Honesty, if you reversed the order, you might have an argument (though I don't think Rubin would fall that low)

NTs:

1. Bengals with Peko/Atkins at DTs

2. Browns with Taylor

3. Ravens with Cody

4. Steelers with McClendon

(but, see here is a spot where I though Ngata would perhaps go)

RDE

1. Ravens with Ngata

2. Bengals with Michael Johnson

3. Steelers with Keisel

4. Browns with Des. Bryant

( I put Bryant last because he is new to the division, though for all I know he may turn out to be the best)

LOLB

1. Ravens with Suggs

2. Steelers with Woodley

3. Browns with Kruger

4. Bengals with James Harrison

This must be the glamor position with all these high profile names.

LILB

1. Steelers with Foote

2. Bengals with Maualaga

3. Browns with Robertson

4. Ravens with a McClain

Robertson can't rate with the veterans here...plus, I am not sure he is going to be considered the starter.

RILB:

1. Browns with D'Qwell Jackson

2. Steelers with Timmons

3. Ravens with Arthur Brown

4. vacant

Bengals employ only one MLB...so I put him at the LILB spot.

ROLB:

1. Ravens with Dumerville

2. Bengals with Burfict

3. Browns with Sheard/Mingo

4. Steelers with Jarvis Jones

New faces (like Arthur Brown) have to go at the bottom til proven. Dumerville is proven.

LCB:

1. Browns with Haden

2. Ravens with Webb

3. Bengals with Kirkpatrick

4. Steelers with Cortez

(though, the order behind Haden could be completely reversed with not argument)

SS

1. Browns with TJ Ward

2. Bengals with Taylor Mays

3. Steelers with Polamalu

4. Ravens with Matt Elam

Polamalu was...and will be a Hall of Fame player. But, at present he has become old and average.

FS:

1. Steelers with Ryan Clark

2. Ravens with Michael Huff

3. Bengals with Nelson

4. Browns with Hagg/Gipson

Totally going by experience

RCB:

1. Bengals with Leon Hall

2. Ravens with Corey Graham

3. Steelers with Ike Taylor

4. Browns with Leon McFadden

Those top 3 could also be jumbled up with no argument. And again, rookies have to take last place.

This is a companion thread to the Dueling Depth Chart thread. After looking all those over, I come up with Unit rankings for each position for the 4 AFCN teams. Start with the offenses:

QBs

1. Steelers with BR.

2. Ravens with Flacco

3. Bengals with Dalton

4. Browns with Weeden

This simply has to be this order given history. (and though Flacco may now be paid more, BR to me is still superior....unless he gets slowed down by injuries.)

WRs:

1. Bengals. AJ Green gives them this top spot

2. Steelers. I give them the very slightest of edges due to experience

3. Browns. Most room for improvement imo.

4. Ravens. What will Torrey Smith and Jacoby Jones be without Anquan Boldin's steady hand?

TEs:

1. Bengals. Gresham and Eifert give the edge.

2. Steelers. Miller still going steady

3. or 4. Browns

3. or 4. Ravens

This last depends on the return of Pitta and Dickson to Ravens. If they don't return, they are 4th. If they do, Browns go last.

RBs:

1. Browns. TRich will become the dominant running force in this division (and conference?)

2. Ravens. Rice still quality, but surpassed by TR

3. Bengals. Green-Ellis is a veteran hand.

4. Steelers. If Laveon Bell becomes a force, that could jump Steelers up one notch.

FBs

1. Ravens. Leach and Juzcyczk put them at top

2. Bengals

3. Steelers not sure about these two teams, could be reversed

4. Browns. As long as Marecic is listed as starter, Browns bring up rear. Could change with a change.

LTs:

1. Browns. JT is the premiere OL in this division

2. Bengals, with Whitworth

3. Ravens, with McKinnie

4. Steelers with Adams

LGs:

1. Ravens with Osemele

2. Bengals with Wharton

3. Browns with Pinkston

4. Steelers with Foster

this is an overall weak position for the whole division

Center:

1. Steelers with Pouncely. Slight edge

2. Browns with Mack

3. Bengals with Robinson

4. Ravens with Gradkowski

Top two heavily outweigh the bottom two

RG:

1. Ravens with Yanda, a Pro Bowler

2. Bengals with Zeitler

3. Browns with Lauvao

4. Steelers with DeCastro

DeCastro has to see the field before his status improves

RT:

1. Browns with The Schwartz. Played at a very high level as a rookie

2. Ravens with Oher

3. Bengals with Andre Smith

4. Steelers with Gilbert

There is some serious homer going on with the above. First and foremost Richardson is not better than Rice. Schwartz is not the best RT in the division either. There is more than a slight edge at WR after the Bengals and even then all they have is AJ Green at receiver. Sanu is still unproven and the other guys have done basically nothing. Corey Graham also is not better than Ike Taylor and you are bat sh.it crazy to put Taylor Mays or Ward ahead of Polamalu. The guy is a first ballot hall of famer and was healthy and as disruptive as ever to close out the year last season. Jackson over Timmons is also insane. Based on what exactly? Racking up a bunch of tackles on a really damn mediocre LB corp? I still can't believe you ranked Taylor Mays ahead of Polamalu. Do you watch the Bengals at all? He's a physical freak but he's about as dumb as they come. I can't think of one play all of last year that stood out with him on the field. Sheard has also never played OLB and Mingo is as rookie just like Jones. I also don't care that DeCastro barely saw the field, his pedigree alone puts him over the putz Luavao who was a borderline turnstile last year and Kruger is not a high profile name. He's a two down linebacker that was the top pass rusher in a really weak free agent pool. I know I just came in here and shit all over this post. It was well put together but completely bat shit crazy in parts. If you're going to make what I'm assuming is supposed to be a objective breakdown take off the homer shades.

ROFL...watched Ike Taylor play lots of times...most overrated CB in football..a benifactor of a younger Polamalu and very good Lbacking corp and Dline back when they made theyrer SB run......Id put an old Champ Bailey ahead of him...

There is some serious homer going on with the above.

And, there will be some serious homering going on with what you have to say...and some serious anti-Browns hate.

. First and foremost Richardson is not better than Rice.

This coming season he will be better. He will be perhaps one of the Top 3 rushers in the game. Again, this is jusy YOUR bias showing.

Schwartz is not the best RT in the division either.

It is arguable. Smith and Oher are no better....and by no means is Schwartz any worse than them.

There is more than a slight edge at WR after the Bengals and even then all they have is AJ Green at receiver. Sanu is still unproven and the other guys have done basically nothing.

I am not sure what you are trying to say here. Are you defending the choice of the Bengals WR corps as #1 or criticizing it? I saw all these WR corps as being fairly equal. The one thing that pushes the Bengals to the top is the presence of Green. Agree, or not?

Corey Graham also is not better than Ike Taylor

Tweedledum, Tweedledee. They are both shades of average.

and you are bat sh.it crazy to put Taylor Mays or Ward ahead of Polamalu. The guy is a first ballot hall of famer and was healthy and as disruptive as ever to close out the year last season.

The slow, old man can make a few plays here and there. But he missed like more than half the year and when he came back he was at best average. Yes, he WAS a Hall of Fame Performer. Now he is just another guy. Your homerism fails to allow you to see that. I mean, Willie Mays played for the Mets.

Jackson over Timmons is also insane. Based on what exactly? Racking up a bunch of tackles on a really damn mediocre LB corp?

Exactly. He was the rock in the middle of a pile of mush. Timmons may have been the worst of the Steeler LB corps.

I still can't believe you ranked Taylor Mays ahead of Polamalu. Do you watch the Bengals at all? He's a physical freak but he's about as dumb as they come. I can't think of one play all of last year that stood out with him on the field.

Maybe I overrated Mays....but I didn't underrate Polamalu. Your statement simply confirms to me that TJ Ward is the best in the division.

Sheard has also never played OLB and Mingo is as rookie just like Jones.

But Sheard has played in the league for 2 years. And ALL rookies that are projected starters I put at the bottom...no matter what their prospects.

I also don't care that DeCastro barely saw the field, his pedigree alone puts him over the putz Luavao who was a borderline turnstile last year

If and when DeCastro ever actually plays the game, maybe his ranking will go up. (and what fucking "pedigree" are you talking about? Do you have his breeding papers? His only "pedigree" is that he was taken by the Steelers. That don't count for shit any more.)

and Kruger is not a high profile name. He's a two down linebacker that was the top pass rusher in a really weak free agent pool.

Behind Mike Wallace, he was the biggest FA name available. Sorry you slept through that. Oh, yea, and he also played in that Super Bowl thing. Did you sleep through that as well? And just because someone IS a big name, doesn't mean they are a quality player....see James Harrison/Polamalu....former big names. Now just little fish.

I know I just came in here and shit all over this post. It was well put together but completely bat shit crazy in parts. If you're going to make what I'm assuming is supposed to be a objective breakdown take off the homer shades.

I was probably bat shit crazy for ranking some Steeler players at the top....yet I don't see you complaining about that. I bet some argue about putting BR over Flacco and Dalton...many think those two have now surpassed BR....yet I gave him the benefit of the doubt.

And Clark only wins by default, not because he is very good, but because no one else in this division is a proven player.

And Foote. Some might claim that Maualaga is better....but I gave it to Foote anyway...because I am not totally sold on Maualaga.

ROFL...watched Ike Taylor play lots of times...most overrated CB in football..a benifactor of a younger Polamalu and very good Lbacking corp and Dline back when they made theyrer SB run......Id put an old Champ Bailey ahead of him...

The claim of best RCB in the division is up for grabs. Like I said, I could have jumble up the top 3 I listed and not been any the worse.

What I hope is that #4 on the list will grab the mantle....Leon McFadden that is.

Recap on these rankings I accumulated the point values of all positions. By assigning a score of from 1-4 for each position and adding them up you get the following score where "low point totals" are best:

Bengals: 49 points

Ravens: 49 points

Browns: 51 points

Steelers: 60 points

The Bengals held the top spot at 4 positions, and the bottom spot at 3 positions

The Ravens held the top spot at 6 positions and the bottom spot at 3 positions

The Browns held the top spot at 7 positions and the bottom spot at 5 positions

The Steelers held the top spot at 4 positions and the bottom spot at 8 positions.

(for the Steelers it was their O-line and Defensive backfield that put them so low)

Conclusion: supposedly then this will pit the Bengals vs. the Ravens for the division crown this year. (can we truly extrapolate that from this? probably not)

One of Cave/Faulk/Gilkey will start at one of the guard spots, perhaps taking over for both.

Faulk was a bottom-of-round-1 guy before his injury --- he chose Browns due to our opportunity over at least 2 other AFC teams wanting him to start

I agree that it is possible for some one or two of those guys to come in and take over the OG spots.

Though the Browns do have "veterans" in those positions: Lauvao and Pinkston, certainly they have not proven to have the same mustard as their linemates Mack, JT, The Schwartz. If there were chinks in the Browns OL armor it is because those two were not fully adequate at getting the push needed up the middle in the running game. Could Cave/Faulk/Gilkey come in and displace either of those 2? Certainly possible. But, as someone said, lets not put too much credence on 7th rounders and UDFAs. 32 teams passed on Gilkey 6 times...and 32 teams passed on the other two 7 times. If either of them succeed it is a pure bonus.

However, there's zero reason to assume that late/UDFA guards will not be all-pro

The Saints All-Pro guards were drafted in the 5th and 6th rounds;

Boothe for the Gints was drafted in the 6th years ago and was the 3rd best OG on the market this year.. in addition to being 1/5 of the great Giants lines of years past

Pats start Connolly who was a UDFA.. and had the #1 rush offense in 2012

Yes, our 7th/UDFA guards might suck.. but good guards don't only come from the top of the draft

However, there's zero reason to assume that late/UDFA guards will not be all-pro

The Saints All-Pro guards were drafted in the 5th and 6th rounds;

Boothe for the Gints was drafted in the 6th years ago and was the 3rd best OG on the market this year.. in addition to being 1/5 of the great Giants lines of years past

Pats start Connolly who was a UDFA.. and had the #1 rush offense in 2012

Yes, our 7th/UDFA guards might suck.. but good guards don't only come from the top of the draft

While all true, historically, it is still a fact that a lot more better players come from the upper rounds of a draft than a lower one, despite some spectacular exceptions (see the list of DBs I posted here somewhere)

See this link:

http://www.profootballhof.com/history/general/draft/round.aspx

There is some serious homer going on with the above.

And, there will be some serious homering going on with what you have to say...and some serious anti-Browns hate.

. First and foremost Richardson is not better than Rice.

This coming season he will be better. He will be perhaps one of the Top 3 rushers in the game. Again, this is jusy YOUR bias showing.

Schwartz is not the best RT in the division either.

It is arguable. Smith and Oher are no better....and by no means is Schwartz any worse than them.

There is more than a slight edge at WR after the Bengals and even then all they have is AJ Green at receiver. Sanu is still unproven and the other guys have done basically nothing.

I am not sure what you are trying to say here. Are you defending the choice of the Bengals WR corps as #1 or criticizing it? I saw all these WR corps as being fairly equal. The one thing that pushes the Bengals to the top is the presence of Green. Agree, or not?

Corey Graham also is not better than Ike Taylor

Tweedledum, Tweedledee. They are both shades of average.

and you are bat sh.it crazy to put Taylor Mays or Ward ahead of Polamalu. The guy is a first ballot hall of famer and was healthy and as disruptive as ever to close out the year last season.

The slow, old man can make a few plays here and there. But he missed like more than half the year and when he came back he was at best average. Yes, he WAS a Hall of Fame Performer. Now he is just another guy. Your homerism fails to allow you to see that. I mean, Willie Mays played for the Mets.

Jackson over Timmons is also insane. Based on what exactly? Racking up a bunch of tackles on a really damn mediocre LB corp?

Exactly. He was the rock in the middle of a pile of mush. Timmons may have been the worst of the Steeler LB corps.

I still can't believe you ranked Taylor Mays ahead of Polamalu. Do you watch the Bengals at all? He's a physical freak but he's about as dumb as they come. I can't think of one play all of last year that stood out with him on the field.

Maybe I overrated Mays....but I didn't underrate Polamalu. Your statement simply confirms to me that TJ Ward is the best in the division.

Sheard has also never played OLB and Mingo is as rookie just like Jones.

But Sheard has played in the league for 2 years. And ALL rookies that are projected starters I put at the bottom...no matter what their prospects.

I also don't care that DeCastro barely saw the field, his pedigree alone puts him over the putz Luavao who was a borderline turnstile last year

If and when DeCastro ever actually plays the game, maybe his ranking will go up. (and what fucking "pedigree" are you talking about? Do you have his breeding papers? His only "pedigree" is that he was taken by the Steelers. That don't count for shit any more.)

and Kruger is not a high profile name. He's a two down linebacker that was the top pass rusher in a really weak free agent pool.

Behind Mike Wallace, he was the biggest FA name available. Sorry you slept through that. Oh, yea, and he also played in that Super Bowl thing. Did you sleep through that as well? And just because someone IS a big name, doesn't mean they are a quality player....see James Harrison/Polamalu....former big names. Now just little fish.

I know I just came in here and shit all over this post. It was well put together but completely bat shit crazy in parts. If you're going to make what I'm assuming is supposed to be a objective breakdown take off the homer shades.

I was probably bat shit crazy for ranking some Steeler players at the top....yet I don't see you complaining about that. I bet some argue about putting BR over Flacco and Dalton...many think those two have now surpassed BR....yet I gave him the benefit of the doubt.

And Clark only wins by default, not because he is very good, but because no one else in this division is a proven player.

And Foote. Some might claim that Maualaga is better....but I gave it to Foote anyway...because I am not totally sold on Maualaga.

Gipper when you say things like timmons was the worst steeler linebacker you lose all credibility. I also dont know anyone that has flacco or dalton ahead of br. Where the hell are you getting this.shit? Tj ward also isnt better than troy. I dont hear players or o coordinators talking about game planning for tj ward, they do for polamalu.

Gipper when you say things like timmons was the worst steeler linebacker you lose all credibility. I also dont know anyone that has flacco or dalton ahead of br. Where the hell are you getting this.shit? Tj ward also isnt better than troy. I dont hear players or o coordinators talking about game planning for tj ward, they do for polamalu.

Uhmm, do you forget that Flacco is the Super Bowl MVP...and now the highest paid player in football....and that a lot of people think that BR has taken too much punishment and has lost some of his whatever.

But why are you arguing with me on this? I ranked him higher. Are you asking me to pull that rank?

And you are definitely living in the past about Polamalu.

3-4 years ago, maybe you are right. No one is game planning for him now.

He didn't even play in half his team's games. He had all of one int. last year. He made 29 whole tackles. The old gray mare ain't what she used to be. Its just that a donkey like you needs a two by four across the forehead to see that fact.

Gipper when you say things like timmons was the worst steeler linebacker you lose all credibility.

So, maybe that is true now that you are going to have a rookie starting for you. But when you had Foote/Woodley and Harrison am I not correct in thinking the Timmons was not considered the lighter weight among them?

By all means....tell me how you rank the Steeler linebackers among the current crop.

I am more than willing to take your advice and demote any one of the others.

So, maybe that is true now that you are going to have a rookie starting for you. But when you had Foote/Woodley and Harrison am I not correct in thinking the Timmons was not considered the lighter weight among them?

By all means....tell me how you rank the Steeler linebackers among the current crop.

I am more than willing to take your advice and demote any one of the others.

Timmons has been the best for at least two seasons now. Why are you taking my advice? If you make a thread of this type shouldnt you yourself know? Hes a top ten mlb. Jackson is not, still cant believe you rated him first. He racked up those tackles behind that above average d line because the rest of your lbs were awful.

Uhmm, do you forget that Flacco is the Super Bowl MVP...and now the highest paid player in football....and that a lot of people think that BR has taken too much punishment and has lost some of his whatever.

But why are you arguing with me on this? I ranked him higher. Are you asking me to pull that rank?

And you are definitely living in the past about Polamalu.

3-4 years ago, maybe you are right. No one is game planning for him now.

He didn't even play in half his team's games. He had all of one int. last year. He made 29 whole tackles. The old gray mare ain't what she used to be. Its just that a donkey like you needs a two by four across the forehead to see that fact.

I remeber the last time this board was so down on the steelers and high on the browns. They played the cardinals in the super bowl.

I already have bets with terms not defined with both mik and erie. You wanna lose too?

Timmons has been the best for at least two seasons now. Why are you taking my advice? If you make a thread of this type shouldnt you yourself know? Hes a top ten mlb. Jackson is not, still cant believe you rated him first. He racked up those tackles behind that above average d line because the rest of your lbs were awful.

So? You think Timmons is better now than Woodley and Foote? So be it.

But all that does is remove Woodley and Foote from their #1 and #2 positions.

I now put Woodley at #3 behind Suggs and Kruger, and Foote #2 behind Maualaga.

Timmons stays where he is. He only looks good because of the quality players around him.

I mean, you just made an argument that shot yourself in the foot.

"Jackson makes a lot of tackles because the other LBs were no good." All the more credence to rate him high.

Do you give any thought to some of the things you say?

I remeber the last time this board was so down on the steelers and high on the browns. They played the cardinals in the super bowl.

I already have bets with terms not defined with both mik and erie. You wanna lose too?

No, I don't want to bet. Because I just don't bother with that sort of thing with internet mopes.

So? You think Timmons is better now than Woodley and Foote? So be it.

But all that does is remove Woodley and Foote from their #1 and #2 positions.

I now put Woodley at #3 behind Suggs and Kruger, and Foote #2 behind Maualaga.

Timmons stays where he is. He only looks good because of the quality players around him.

I mean, you just made an argument that shot yourself in the foot.

"Jackson makes a lot of tackles because the other LBs were no good." All the more credence to rate him high.

Do you give any thought to some of the things you say?

Gipper you are such a self righteous wind bag. I've tried to appreciate some of your posts and your insights but the more I read between the lines the more I understand that you're pretty damn clueless when it comes to football. My assessment also includes the current Browns. You're stuck in the 1950's when you were a young buck and haven't grown much from that point. As far as Jackson is concerned he's a solid inside linebacker but he's far from best in the division. Hell he's not even top 10 in the AFC.

How, exactly, do the Steelers have "more experience" than the Browns WR? The only players on the roster other than rookies are their starters with 3 years (Brown, Sanders).

Plaxico Burress doesn't count -- he's just roster fodder at the age of 35.. and Cotchery is actually a candidate to be released, so his "experience" sure doesn't count.

1) Size of top 3 Browns WR

Gordon - 6'4 220

Little - 6'2 220

D.Nelson - 6'5 220

Steelers: Both Brown and Sanders are 5'10, 180.

2) Number of years -- Gordon has 1, Little has 2, Nelson has essentially 2 as well b/c last year he popped the ACL.

Antonio Brown's first year had exactly 16 catches, and he barely saw the field. Emmanuel's stats have been consistently underwhelming as the 3rd or 4th option - 28, 22, 44 catches in each year.

So.. that one year of 16 and 22 catches makes up for Gordon and Little both being significantly more gifted than their counterpart at Pitt, and starting the whole time? And when you add Nelson and Bess to the mix, giving the Browns 4 legit options at WR before you go to the TE, Pitt is still better?

I don't see it.

If you judge the WR without the QB, the Browns players are significantly better and should be at minimum #2.. if you look at the entire roster, Browns WR should be ranked #1 because Gordon is the equal of AJ Green.

There is some serious homer going on with the above. First and foremost Richardson is not better than Rice. Schwartz is not the best RT in the division either. There is more than a slight edge at WR after the Bengals and even then all they have is AJ Green at receiver. Sanu is still unproven and the other guys have done basically nothing. Corey Graham also is not better than Ike Taylor and you are bat sh.it crazy to put Taylor Mays or Ward ahead of Polamalu. The guy is a first ballot hall of famer and was healthy and as disruptive as ever to close out the year last season. Jackson over Timmons is also insane. Based on what exactly? Racking up a bunch of tackles on a really damn mediocre LB corp? I still can't believe you ranked Taylor Mays ahead of Polamalu. Do you watch the Bengals at all? He's a physical freak but he's about as dumb as they come. I can't think of one play all of last year that stood out with him on the field. Sheard has also never played OLB and Mingo is as rookie just like Jones. I also don't care that DeCastro barely saw the field, his pedigree alone puts him over the putz Luavao who was a borderline turnstile last year and Kruger is not a high profile name. He's a two down linebacker that was the top pass rusher in a really weak free agent pool. I know I just came in here and shit all over this post. It was well put together but completely bat shit crazy in parts. If you're going to make what I'm assuming is supposed to be a objective breakdown take off the homer shades.

Richardson will be better than Rice this year if he stays reasonably healthy. Take it to the bank.

Taylor Mays has god given ability and that's about it so we agree on that. One of the biggest underachievers in college football history and now he's a flop in the pros. Meanwhile, Polamalu is finished -- it's over for him.

Disagree with Gipper's assessment that Ravens have worst receiving corps in the division. How can you say that when they have Smith and Jones, both of whom are better than any Browns receiver in my opinion. Browns still need a premier wideout in my view and they should go after Lee next year if they can't get their franchise QB.

How, exactly, do the Steelers have "more experience" than the Browns WR? The only players on the roster other than rookies are their starters with exactly 2 years of experience each, Sanders and Brown. Plaxico Burress doesn't count -- he's just roster fodder at the age of 35.

1) Size of top 3 Browns WR

Gordon - 6'4 220

Little - 6'2 220

D.Nelson - 6'5 220

2) Number of years -- Gordon has 1, Little has 2, Nelson has essentially 2 as well b/c last year he popped the ACL.

Anyone who thinks a Steelers WR is actually better than Gordon needs their head examined - Gordon is an all-pro, period.

Gordon is an all pro? Are you joking? He's a very average NFL starting receiver at this juncture with the potential to get better over the next few years as he gains experience. But his lack of burner speed hurts him. Steelers receivers compares very favorably with the Browns receiving corps. The question right now: How many drops will the overexcited Little have again in a season opener?

Gotta put Robertson over Maualauga. Rey Rey sucked last year, Craig Robertson had a damn good year for being the nickel linebacker.

Maualuga was actually rated the worst starting LB in the entire NFL this past season. He must be #4 at whatever position you give him.

Steelers receivers compares very favorably with the Browns receiving corps

No, they don't. You're wrong.

How many drops will the overexcited Little have again in a season opener?

None. You clearly didn't watch any games last year.. that's not an issue for him any more.

Gipper you are such a self righteous wind bag. I've tried to appreciate some of your posts and your insights but the more I read between the lines the more I understand that you're pretty damn clueless when it comes to football. My assessment also includes the current Browns. You're stuck in the 1950's when you were a young buck and haven't grown much from that point. As far as Jackson is concerned he's a solid inside linebacker but he's far from best in the division. Hell he's not even top 10 in the AFC.

So? Did all the players....that are currently on all the rosters also play in the 50s?

Actually it is you that has no clue....and your fellow Steeler fans agree with me.

However, I did think about the DQwell Jackson issue overnight...and I thought possibly that you were right.....because I have actually been a big critic of his, as I do believe that he is often out of position, and/or thrown aside too easily.

But, I will only accept your position IF you give a complete ranking of all the MLBs on all teams of the AFCN....because as much as I have honestly not been a big DQJ fan in the past.....that still does NOT mean that I think your assessment of what is what is correct.

Let's see your ranking.

Richardson will be better than Rice this year if he stays reasonably healthy. Take it to the bank.

Taylor Mays has god given ability and that's about it so we agree on that. One of the biggest underachievers in college football history and now he's a flop in the pros. Meanwhile, Polamalu is finished -- it's over for him.

Disagree with Gipper's assessment that Ravens have worst receiving corps in the division. How can you say that when they have Smith and Jones, both of whom are better than any Browns receiver in my opinion. Browns still need a premier wideout in my view and they should go after Lee next year if they can't get their franchise QB.

Tons and tons of people here would disagree with you on the Browns WR assessment. Why did I rate the Ravens WR corps last? Because they lost the main man in that corps: Boldin. Without them Smith and Jones may be just an old Western. (It was an old western btw). Without Boldin to be that rock, I am not sure those two roll. Same with Pittsburgh. Though many Steeler fans wish to underestimate the loss of Wallace....the guy was still a big downfield threat, and not having him may show that the guys they still have, Sanders and Brown, may not be all that. So maybe Unsympathetic is right.

LCB:

1. Browns with Haden

2. Ravens with Webb

4. Steelers with Cortez

SS

1. Browns with TJ Ward

4. Ravens with Matt Elam

Polamalu was...and will be a Hall of Fame player. But, at present he has become old and average.

FS:

3. Bengals with Nelson

RCB:

Those top 3 could also be jumbled up with no argument. And again, rookies have to take last place.

From the other thread. Compare mine to his....pretty damn close:

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/70326/afc-north-position-rank-secondary

Does anyone know if this guy did any other AFCN unit rankings?

LCB:

1. Browns with Haden

2. Ravens with Webb

4. Steelers with Cortez

SS

1. Browns with TJ Ward

4. Ravens with Matt Elam

FS:

3. Bengals with Nelson

RCB:

From the other thread. Compare mine to his....pretty damn close:

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/70326/afc-north-position-rank-secondary

Does anyone know if this guy did any other AFCN unit rankings?

I saw this last night so according to him you bump troy to one where he belongs and ike taylor to at least two. I also fully expect cortez allen to advance upward throughout the season but hes still under the radar.

Archived