THE BROWNS BOARD

Sleepers in 2014 NFL Draft

Tour2ma

First, what is a sleeper? Your definition may vary, but to me a sleeper is any player selected outside of round 1 that will at minimum fight for, if not earn, a starting position at some point in their rookie season.

Still working on my 2014 list, but here are my candidates to date in no particular order:

• Jared Abberderis (WR-Wis-R3) - awesome hands and route runner; the possession WR we hoped Bess was; pushed down boards by wave of underclassmen declaring.
  • James White (RB-Wis-R5) - tough runner and a very good receiver.
  • C.J. Fiedorowicz (TE-Iowa-R3/4) - a TE that can actually block; faster than you'd think for his size and very good hands.
  • Chris Smith (DE-Ark-2/3) - at 6'1 he's shorter than the new breed of NFL DE, but looks to be a "high motor" guy.
  • Chris Borland (ILB-Wis-R3) - not sure he qualifies as a sleeper any more after his Sr. Bowl performance; reminds me of Dick "Bam-Bam" Ambrose... short (but not small) and fast... with a motor that is off the charts.
  • Jordan Tripp (OLB-Montana-R3/4) - yup... a Big Sky guy... tall, fast and athletic.
  • Keith McGill (CB-Utah-R3) - think a further west version of Nebraska's Baptiste (R3)... as tall at 6'3, same weight and maybe slightly faster...
  • Phillip Gaines (CB-Rice-R7) - caught my eye in the Sr Bowl; good speed and a very agile on a 6'1 frame.
  • Ed Reynolds (FS-Stanford-R2) - bit of a cheat here since some rate him a late 1st rounder, but most have him as a second rounder so... 6'2, 206 and brings it.
  • Ty Zimmerman (FS-KSU-R7) - caught my eye in 2 games this year; a bit slow perhaps for the NFL, but looked to have strong instinct for the position.
  • Craig Loston (SS-LSU-R4) - another Tiger DB destined for the NFL; pegged as a mid-rounder, he could be a steal...

Always looking for a good sleeper. I think they are a big chunk of the difference between Champions and also-rans...

So who you got?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sleeper definition should also include some weighting of positional value. For example you wouldn't call a kicker a sleeper just because he was seleced in round 7. You probably wouldn't have called Gio Bernard, Eddie Lacy of LaVeon Bell sleepers even though the were (I think?) R2?

Sleeper? Projected outside of top 3 or 4 at their position, and outside of the 1st round (by most), but have the makings of a pro bowler... I've watched a lot of college football this year, so here goes nothing...

I like Abbrederis too, but I also like...

Odell Beckham Jr. - WR - LSU - great hands, and playmaking ability... undervalued in my opinion

Stanley Jean-Baptiste - CB - Nebraska - great size, fits the mold of the bigger corner... had a good Senior Bowl

Marion Grice - RB - AZ St - watched him play twice this year, and I was impressed. Great receiver too

Spencer Long - G - Nebraska - All-Big Ten in 2011, missed almost all of 2013 with a torn ACL.. could be a steal

Shayne Skov - ILB - Stanford - great physical specimin. He fits the bill for any aggressive D with his speed...

Erik Lora, WR at Eastern Illinois. May even be a UFA, but I love those guys more than the high picks. Hungry, hungry, hungry!! No sense of entitlement for those guys.

They are the most fun to watch at training camps & there are some real "finds" in the 6th, 7th rounds & UFA.

Mike

Being that I am a student from a MAC school, some players that I think could make an impact that aren't really talked about could be:

Alex Bayer, TE, BGSU - Gonna be a 7th or undrafted more than likely, but I think he posses good size, good enough route running and hands as well as blocking.

Jerry "Booboo" Gates, S, BGSU - Probably an undrafted guy who is a little small for the position, but is definitely a playmaker on special teams.

Keith Wenning, QB, BSU - IDK exactly where he is projected, but I doubt anywhere before 6-7. Has good size at 6-3 - 6-4, and a solid arm. Is also Ball States leading passer in like basically every statistic.

David Fluellen, RB, UT - I am very unsure of where he is projected but believe he had a good senior bowl game, and is a downhill runner with good enough speed and hands.

MARCEL JENSEN, TE Fresno St. 6'5" 270lbs 4.8 40yrd

A coaching change his senior year made this Kids stock fall. He'a beast blocker with good pass catching ability. He can also play FB too.

And I absolutely love McGill big physical corner to share time with Skrine. Oh and it's already reported Seahawks R already all over this guy. So naturally Browns probably not

With the Browns more than likely putting the franchise tag on TJ Ward. I do like the value of Christian Bryant FS Thee Ohio State. Might be able sign him as UFA.

Is this your own speculation?

I'm all for keeping him anyway we can.

Pettine says we are going to be "the toughest team on the field every wee" ... We'll then he needs to tell the Brass that TJ stays, because there aren't too many tougher at his position.

Z

Oh, I wasn't even trying to do that. Tell you the truth, I didn't even notice.

Well in that case I withdraw my job offer...

I spotted Abberderis early in the OSU game and pretty much fell in love with him. Then he had a rough patch mid-season and I wondered about him, but he finished strong.

I know you think it's overkill, but I keep seeing a Gordon-Watkins-Abbederis WR Corps in my mind's eye... and I like it!

Sleeper definition should also include some weighting of positional value. For example you wouldn't call a kicker a sleeper just because he was seleced in round 7.

I really did not consider specialty positions (K, P) at all... so I guess that's a form of weighting. :)

Sleeper? Projected outside of top 3 or 4 at their position, and outside of the 1st round (by most), but have the makings of a pro bowler... I've watched a lot of college football this year, so here goes nothing...

Good working definition and good list...

To my eye Skov seems to be a step slower than Borland and is a bit lighter to boot. It will be interesting to see them both at the combine.

good topic tour.

Thank you...

With the Browns more than likely putting the franchise tag on TJ Ward. I do like the value of Christian Bryant FS Thee Ohio State. Might be able sign him as UFA.

Tad undersized for my taste, but fast. If he fully recovers from his broken ankle, he definitely has sleeper potential.

Jared Abberderis is a gem in the rough. Anyone who has watched him play can see the value he wuold bring to the team. He does not show boat and will catch everything that comes his way, the kid is a leader, its also very rare to see a polished route runner coming out of college. He would be great as a #2, but would dominate in the Slot. Very good sleeper pick.

What an absolute perfect situation that would be. Gordon and Watkins on the outside with Abberderis in the slot. Jordan Cameron at TE. Carlos Hyde and Dion Lewis in the back field. U would find out if Hoyer could ever be the guy. If not then Mariota or Winston would be an excellent choice in 2015.

What an absolute perfect situation that would be. Gordon and Watkins on the outside with Abberderis in the slot. Jordan Cameron at TE. Carlos Hyde and Dion Lewis in the back field. U would find out if Hoyer could ever be the guy. If not then Mariota or Winston would be an excellent choice in 2015.

I'd be very cool with that. Take a guy like Carr/Murray/Garrapolo later. Sure up the interior line.

We still really need that #2 CB and some better LBs though.

Homer pick, sort of

Jeremy Gallon, as a slot WR in a later round. Had the 2nd most receiving yards in a game in FBS history this year plus the season record for Michigan. He also can return kicks and punts. He is more quick than fast though, so his 40 time will be interesting.

Homer pick, sort of

Jeremy Gallon, as a slot WR in a later round. Had the 2nd most receiving yards in a game in FBS history this year plus the season record for Michigan. He also can return kicks and punts. He is more quick than fast though, so his 40 time will be interesting.

OK, you want Homer picks at WR....Corey "Philly" Brown

Homer pick, sort of

gallon might not be a immediate impact but I can see him having a very good career for a team that won't give up on him.

It is a homer pick because I would love him on the Browns.

At the same time though I think he has real potential in the slot, and I know OSU fans that agree with me and think he could be a sleeper.

I think taking him late is less of a homer reach then taking Hyde in the 2nd

It is a homer pick because I would love him on the Browns.

At the same time though I think he has real potential in the slot, and I know OSU fans that agree with me and think he could be a sleeper.

I think taking him late is less of a homer reach then taking Hyde in the 2nd

now that I disagree with. If TBITCH was a #3 overall then Hyde is easily a 2nd rounder. Homer pick?? Yea probably but he is exactly what the Browns need to balance Dion Lewis. If the Browns ain't lookin at Hyde they ain't lookin for another rb.

I like Abbrederis too, but I also like...

Odell Beckham Jr. - WR - LSU - great hands, and playmaking ability... undervalued in my opinion

Stanley Jean-Baptiste - CB - Nebraska - great size, fits the mold of the bigger corner... had a good Senior Bowl

Marion Grice - RB - AZ St - watched him play twice this year, and I was impressed. Great receiver too

Spencer Long - G - Nebraska - All-Big Ten in 2011, missed almost all of 2013 with a torn ACL.. could be a steal

Shayne Skov - ILB - Stanford - great physical specimin. He fits the bill for any aggressive D with his speed...

nice list, I'm all in on Stanley Jean-Baptiste, bring him to Cleveland.

Archived