THE BROWNS BOARD

Thomas, Haden and Gipson to Pro Bowl

Opal312

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/12/pro_bowl_2014_selections_browns.html

BEREA, Ohio – While the Browns placed Tashaun Gipson on injured reserve over the weekend, the free safety is not done playing football this season.

The third-year pro earned his first trip to the Pro Bowl on Tuesday night despite missing the final five games with a knee injury. Gipson will be joined by Browns cornerback Joe Haden and left tackle Joe Thomas in Glendale, Ariz., for the game on Jan. 25. Strong safety Donte Whitner was chosen as an alternate.

The Pro Bowlers are selected by a combination of players, coaches and fan votes. The complete listcan be found here.

Thomas makes NFL history, becoming the only offensive lineman to be named to the Pro Bowl in each of his first eight seasons. Haden is the first Browns defensive back to reach consecutive Pro Bowls since Frank Minnifield qualified four straight years from 1987-90.

But teammates probably are happiest for Gipson, 24, whose regular season ended Nov. 23 in a collision with Haden in Atlanta. The Browns (7-8) have lost four straight since he sprained an MCL.

He intercepted a career-high six passes in just 11 games and held the league lead until last weekend. Gipson has registered 11 picks since the start of last season – only one behind the Seahawks' Richard Sherman in that span.

Some wondered if the shortened campaign would jeopardize his chances, but voters recognized the quality of work. Gipson becomes the Browns' first undrafted free agent to reach the Pro Bowl since linebacker Mike Johnson in 1991.

Beyond the six picks, Gipson added 52 tackles, eight passes defensed, a fumble recovery and a touchdown on an interception return.

"I feel truly blessed to be selected to the Pro Bowl, and I really want to first thank God because without Him, this wouldn't be possible; and thank my family, my coaches and my teammates for supporting me and believing in me, as well as the Dawg Pound," Gipson said in a statement. "It's an honor to be recognized by the NFL and the fans, but it's also a credit to the talented guys on our defense and our coaches who I've been fortunate to work alongside and play with all year."

Thomas becomes the 12th player in NFL history to make the Pro Bowl in his first eight seasons. The previous 11 were inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

15501064-large.jpgView full sizeJoe Thomas has made the Pro Bowl again.John Kuntz, The Plain Dealer

The left tackle trails only Hall of Famers Jim Brown (nine) and Lou Groza (nine) for the most Pro Bowl appearances by a Brown. Unlike those legends, Thomas has never played in a postseason game, let alone captured a championship. His teams have won seven or more games just twice, including this season.

"If you're one of the teams winning a lot typically you're going to be the ones getting a lot of the votes," Thomas said Tuesday after practice. "In my eight years we've not had a whole lot of success. Obviously (we're) starting to turn the corner this year which is exciting so I'm hoping in years going forward there's going to be a lot of guys from the Browns that will be at the Pro Bowl and hopefully I'll be one of them."

After a slow start, Haden has enjoyed a strong season. He's totaled 69 tackles, 17 passes defensed, three interceptions, two fumble recoveries, a forced fumble and a blocked field goal. Since joining the Browns as the seventh overall pick in 2010, his 84 pass breakups are the most in the league.

"I want to thank all of our fans, I can't say enough about how much I appreciate them for always supporting us," Haden said in a statement. "I feel like we have done some good things this season and we are going to continue to push forward for the city of Cleveland. It's great to be recognized for my second Pro Bowl, but I would trade it all for team success and that's what everyone is our locker room is working for."

Haden and Gipson are the first pair of Browns defensive backs to make the Pro Bowl since Minnifield and Hanford Dixon in 1989. Gipson becomes a restricted free agent at season's end.

Last year, the Browns sent six players to football's all-star game despite a 4-12 record. While Whitner earned alternate's status, outside linebacker Karlos Dansby was shut out. He was having a Pro Bowl caliber season until suffering a knee injury Nov. 16 in a loss to the Texans that forced him to miss five games.

Congrats to all 3. I'm not sure JT had a 'true PB' year this year, but congrats just the same.

Having not watched every LT in the AFC, no one here can say for sure. However, having watched Joe dominate, in both run and pass blocking for at least 3/4's of the season, there's little doubt he is deserving.

Good to see Gip make it in spite of his injury... well deserved. Wish I could be posting the same sentiment for Alex Mack. He was on his way to his best year as a pro.

Bito's day will come.

Having not watched every LT in the AFC, no one here can say for sure. However, having watched Joe dominate, in both run and pass blocking for at least 3/4's of the season, there's little doubt he is deserving.

Good to see Gip make it in spite of his injury... well deserved. Wish I could be posting the same sentiment for Alex Mack. He was on his way to his best year as a pro.

Bito's day will come.

you make a good point, so many so called browns fans think JT should win every battle and not lose one. Thats not how it works. Whatever outside grading source there is had JT as the best LT this year.

Archived