THE BROWNS BOARD

Edge of Darkness Review

Edge Of Darkness

Warner Brothers

R 108 min

Hey, we’re all aware of Mel Gibson’s faux pas of recent months. I’m not going to list them but as a fellow who has said and done some things under the influence of demon rum, I can at least sympathize with the guy and assume he’s basically a decent fellow.

On top of that, with the exception of buying into the M Night Shamalamdingdong hype in SIGNS, he’s smart enough to steer clear of bad movies.

EDGE OF DARKNESS is a good and serious film written, acted and directed by good and serious people.

It’s a complicated story of intrigue that reaches into the nasty world of governmental espionage as well as unbridled corporate greed. The climax is tragic enough to please even the Swedes and can be summed up in the immortal words of James Woods who once said “You die, the girl dies; everybody dies.”

Gibson plays Tom Craven, a Boston cop whose daughter is gunned down right in front of his home. The authorities think the killers must have been gunning for him but soon suspicion starts to circle around the dead girl and her job at a giant and dubious corporate entity with government ties.

As it turns out she has a big secret that lots of top men are willing to go to extreme measures to keep hidden.

Now I can’t exactly put my finger on why I didn’t love it. Gibson does a fine job, as usual, and the bad guys lose out in the end. The problem might be that the plot gets a bit convoluted but it seemed longer that it’s 108 minutes.

It could have been I just expected more of what I can’t exactly put my finger on.

B-

WSS

Email westsidesteve@aol.com

Err . . . . no, Westside Steve. I've never gone on an anti-Semitic rant, blaming the Jews for all the world's problems when I'm drunk. In fact, I've never gone on a rant about any racial or ethnic group when I'm drunk. Mel Gibson is a bigoted, racist piece of s*** and will burn in hell right next to his sig heil, grand-wizard daddy.

From the Latin:

"In vino veritas."

"In wine, there is truth."

Err . . . . no, Westside Steve. I've never gone on an anti-Semitic rant, blaming the Jews for all the world's problems when I'm drunk. In fact, I've never gone on a rant about any racial or ethnic group when I'm drunk. Mel Gibson is a bigoted, racist piece of s*** and will burn in hell right next to his sig heil, grand-wizard daddy.

From the Latin:

"In vino veritas."

"In wine, there is truth."

Hey thanks coach.

I'm hip to the phrase.

Personally I don't get anti Semitism.

Anyway assholish as it was the guy's apology sounded on the level to me but who knows.

Best

WSS

Hey thanks coach.

I'm hip to the phrase.

Personally I don't get anti Semitism.

Anyway assholish as it was the guy's apology sounded on the level to me but who knows.

Best

WSS

BTW Coach to clarify "I don't get anti Semitism" meant that I don't understand it.

I understand it exists.

I don't like it and I don't understand why anybody would hate Jews.

WSS

• 2 weeks later...

the bottom line here is that the obvious is being misrepresented and understated. half your argument is so pedantic it borders the sort of idealistic actualization set in the skeptical world of free will. the other half lacks both the function and design to even approach a semblance of cogency deserving the gratitude of discourse.

the bottom line here is that the obvious is being misrepresented and understated. half your argument is so pedantic it borders the sort of idealistic actualization set in the skeptical world of free will. the other half lacks both the function and design to even approach a semblance of cogency deserving the gratitude of discourse.

Here's a tip.

Drink deep, or touch not the Pierian Spring.

WSS

yes, some drunk guy insulting a police officer who just arrested him is really one of my greatest concerns. :rolleyes: Because the world doesn't have bigger problems than what people might THINK in the back of their minds but choose NOT to act on. So the guy was drunk and said some awful things... big deal. I'm more concerned that the guy was putting people in danger by driving while extremely intoxicated than by what he said. The guy said something he shouldn't have... get over it.

Archived