THE BROWNS BOARD

All I could do was shake my head!!

hebuchanan

1969: Cuyahoga River catches fire <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuyahoga_River> .

1974: Ten Cent Beer Night <http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=beernight/080604> .

1977: Indians sign Wayne Garland to a then-enormous 10-year, $2.3 million contract. He goes 28-48 before his arm falls off.

1980: Red Right 88.

1981: Lowest point of Ted Stepien era.

1982: World B. Free era begins, 23 wins guaranteed. In hindsight, this is akin to building a team around Ricky Davis.

1982: Indians trade John Denny to the Phillies for Wil Culmer, Jerry Reed and Roy Smith.

1983: John Denny wins NL Cy Young Award.

1984: Indians trade Rick Sutcliffe to Cubs. Sutcliffe goes 16-1 and wins NL Cy Young Award.

1986: The Drive.

1987: The Fumble.

1989: The Shot.

1989: "Major League" premieres in theaters. Producers insult Cleveland by filming baseball scenes in Milwaukee as Cleveland's Municipal Stadium is "too drab."

1992: MJ ends Cavs season again. Cavs become possibly the best NBA team to never reach the NBA Finals.

1993: Hurricane Andrew destroys Indians' brand-new $18 million spring training complex in Homestead, Fla.

1993: Steve Olin, Tim Crews die in spring-training boat crash.

1993: Indians are no-hit by one-[handed] pitcher Jim Abbott.

1994: Baseball strike ends Indians' first contending season in three decades.

1995: Art Modell moves Browns to Baltimore.

1995: First World Series appearance in 40 years ends in loss.

1997: Jose Mesa.

1998: Cavs sign "superstar" Shawn Kemp. He fathers a litter of children.

1999: Up 2-0 in ALDS, Pedro kicks the corpse of Cleveland fandom.

1999: USFL returns disguised as Browns expansion team.

2007: Up 3-1 in ALCS, Red Sox spit on grave of Cleveland fandom.

2009: Magic shock Cavs in Eastern Conference finals.

2009: Indians' back-to-back AL Cy Young winners, Cliff Lee and CC Sabathia, face off in Game 1 of World Series, neither pitching for Cleveland.

2010: LeBron leaves Cleveland, goes on to win multiple championships.

My lifetime: Three major sports, zero titles, one river on fire.

--Brad, Cleveland

1969: Cuyahoga River catches fire <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuyahoga_River> .

1974: Ten Cent Beer Night <http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=beernight/080604> .

1977: Indians sign Wayne Garland to a then-enormous 10-year, $2.3 million contract. He goes 28-48 before his arm falls off.

1982: World B. Free era begins, 23 wins guaranteed. In hindsight, this is akin to building a team around Ricky Davis.

1982: Indians trade John Denny to the Phillies for Wil Culmer, Jerry Reed and Roy Smith.

1984: Indians trade Rick Sutcliffe to Cubs. Sutcliffe goes 16-1 and wins NL Cy Young Award.

1989: "Major League" premieres in theaters. Producers insult Cleveland by filming baseball scenes in Milwaukee as Cleveland's Municipal Stadium is "too drab."

1992: MJ ends Cavs season again. Cavs become possibly the best NBA team to never reach the NBA Finals.

1993: Hurricane Andrew destroys Indians' brand-new $18 million spring training complex in Homestead, Fla.

2009: Indians' back-to-back AL Cy Young winners, Cliff Lee and CC Sabathia, face off in Game 1 of World Series, neither pitching for Cleveland.

--Brad, Cleveland

You're a closet Steeler fan, aren't ya? :blink:

--Brad, Cleveland

LeBron's not going anywhere; certainly not where the 'media' seems to think. He'd be better off re-entering the draft than going to either the Nets or Knicks. They're bottom feeders with no plan to get better than get him, and we've seen that he can't do it on his own. Nobody can. Even Jordan needed Pippin and Rodman.

LeBron's not going anywhere; certainly not where the 'media' seems to think. He'd be better off re-entering the draft than going to either the Nets or Knicks. They're bottom feeders with no plan to get better than get him, and we've seen that he can't do it on his own. Nobody can. Even Jordan needed Pippin and Rodman.

+1 LeBron wants to win a championship, the Knicks and Nets are nowhere close, and neither can offer him more money than Cleveland. It's more likely Bosch or Wade coming to Cleveland than LBJ going to the Nets.

On a side note, you think Carlos Boozer isn't kicking himself in the a$$ for cutting and running to Utah? Too late now, bubba.

Yeah, the Orlando debacle has taught me not to get my hopes up too high yet, but the Cavs are doing a beat-down on everybody this year, and they're doing it without Williams and West.

+1 LeBron wants to win a championship, the Knicks and Nets are nowhere close, and neither can offer him more money than Cleveland. It's more likely Bosch or Wade coming to Cleveland than LBJ going to the Nets.

On a side note, you think Carlos Boozer isn't kicking himself in the a$$ for cutting and running to Utah? Too late now, bubba.

Yeah, the Orlando debacle has taught me not to get my hopes up too high yet, but the Cavs are doing a beat-down on everybody this year, and they're doing it without Williams and West.

i will say this though, lebron instantly makes a team good. I certainly hope Lebron stays and I think he will, but look at the Cavs when Lebron got there. Instant winning, getting good FA's and 3 years later title contenders. All i'd say is don't underestimate how much fandom of a team plays into a decision. I'll tell you right now if I were in a position to play for the Browns or say arizona, i'd go to Cleveland.

i will say this though, lebron instantly makes a team good I certainly hope Lebron stays and I think he will, but look at the Cavs when Lebron got there. Instant winning, getting good FA's and 3 years later title contenders. All i'd say is don't underestimate how much fandom of a team plays into a decision. I'll tell you right now if I were in a position to play for the Browns or say arizona, i'd go to Cleveland.

Had to emphasize, good, not great. Last year's playoffs taught me a severe technical lesson in NBA basketball. If you play a team and have no perimeter height, or have no inside bulk against a team that does, you're at a decided disadvantage in the playoffs.

--Brad, Cleveland

Yawwwwwwwwwwwwwnnnnnnn. All true Cleveland sports fans know the score buddy!! old news old news

Had to emphasize, good, not great. Last year's playoffs taught me a severe technical lesson in NBA basketball. If you play a team and have no perimeter height, or have no inside bulk against a team that does, you're at a decided disadvantage in the playoffs.

i mean i completely agree with you. in terms of basketball talent, the cavs are 10x better than the knicks. But what worries me is that Lebron absolutely loves New York and the Knicks. He could look at the situation as "we may be only o.k. in the beginning, but 2-3 years down the road we'll be great like I did with the cavs". Like i said, don't overlook fandom in someone making a decision. Let's hope to God he stays though.

Archived