THE BROWNS BOARD

Questions?

firebiker911

It seemed as though the Saint's were headed to LA before Katrina hit. Any move was stopped due to the fact that it would have been a bad PR move at the time. Recent grumblings had them leaving New Orleans again. My question is: Does this super bowl win keep them is Louisiana? Will they still be there in 2020?

You bet they will be there. It is still way to early to talk about though, things change. The Saints look to be built to last for a little while. A lot of freeagents will want to play there knowing they have a coach who is ballzy and will do whatever it takes to win.

It seemed as though the Saint's were headed to LA before Katrina hit. Any move was stopped due to the fact that it would have been a bad PR move at the time. Recent grumblings had them leaving New Orleans again. My question is: Does this super bowl win keep them is Louisiana? Will they still be there in 2020?

Yeah, they'll be there. Boogie is not goin gto move them now.

Jaguars to LA.

Zombo

I still think it will be the Chargers who move to LA. They won't get a new stadium in San Diego any time in the near future and they'll go back to where they started.

The Jags moving across the country would screw up the divisional alignment (which is somewhat regionalized). The Chargers moving to LA doesn't change anything. The Jags could end up in San Antonio where the Saints were rumored to be headed a few years ago and not screw up the regional divisions that much.

I still think it will be the Chargers who move to LA. They won't get a new stadium in San Diego any time in the near future and they'll go back to where they started.

The Jags moving across the country would screw up the divisional alignment (which is somewhat regionalized). The Chargers moving to LA doesn't change anything. The Jags could end up in San Antonio where the Saints were rumored to be headed a few years ago and not screw up the regional divisions that much.

Mark, thanks for the West Coast input, but I have to side with Zombo's Florida perspective in this matter. It was a humongous mistake for the NFL to put a a franchise in J-ville. Metro area just isn't big enough to support a NFL team in continuous down years, and split loyalties with Tampa and Miami. DOA, IMHO.

So you add the LA Jaguars. Want to explain to me how the Chiefs belong in the AFC West? About as much logic as Jerry Jones insisting the Cowboys belong in the NFC East, just so he could beat up on the Redskins every year.

Let's go back to ancient history- that I'm ancient enough to remember. The Browns once upon a time had a heated rivalry with the Giants. Not anymore. :)

Mark, thanks for the West Coast input, but I have to side with Zombo's Florida perspective in this matter. It was a humongous mistake for the NFL to put a a franchise in J-ville. Metro area just isn't big enough to support a NFL team in continuous down years, and split loyalties with Tampa and Miami. DOA, IMHO.

So you add the LA Jaguars. Want to explain to me how the Chiefs belong in the AFC West? About as much logic as Jerry Jones insisting the Cowboys belong in the NFC East, just so he could beat up on the Redskins every year.

Let's go back to ancient history- that I'm ancient enough to remember. The Browns once upon a time had a heated rivalry with the Giants. Not anymore. :)

I think the Bills could also move to LA. Even though LA doesn't support a team.

I don't know if the NFL is all that worried about the geographic lineup. After all, they have Dallas on the East Coast. If the Jags moved to LA, they would simply reason that LA is sorta South. And so is San Antonio of they went there.

Jacksonville sits at 30 degrees 3 minutes latitude

LA is at 34 degrees 30'

San Antonio is at 29 degrees 22'

(FYI for comparison, Cleveland is 41 degrees 30')

Also FYI, the 41st parallel locally sits on the dividing line between Medina and Wayne Co. and further east is the dividing line between Stark and Portage Counties. Nationally, the 41st parallel constitutes part of the border between Utah and Wyoming, also Wyoming and Colorado, and Colorado and Nebraska.

The 40th parallel IS the location of the Mason-Dixon line. That parallel runs through or near Columbus, so you see, you don't really have to go very far south to be "Below the Mason-Dixon line".

So, in theory, any city south of Columbus could be considered for inclusion in the AFC South, fair to say?

I think the Bills could also move to LA. Even though LA doesn't support a team.

But the Bills are the NFL's foray into the Canadian market which they want to exploit, especially Toronto, which has a 7 million population metro area. That would be the 6th or 7th largest market if it is in the US. (Behind only NYC, LA, Chicago, Dallas, Philly, and Houston. The Bills play one game a year in Toronto now, they may begin to play 2-3 up there. The Jags would be a more likely candidate for LA.

They were going to be moved to San Antonio or Los Angeles before Katrina hit. it was close to being a done deal. Even after the hurricane their owner wanted them to move, but the NFL stepped in apparently because it would have been a terrible PR hit and forced them to keep the team in the city. Gee, I wonder why they couldn't make that same kind of decision in Cleveland?

I don't know if the NFL is all that worried about the geographic lineup. After all, they have Dallas on the East Coast. If the Jags moved to LA, they would simply reason that LA is sorta South. And so is San Antonio of they went there.

Jacksonville sits at 30 degrees 3 minutes latitude

LA is at 34 degrees 30'

San Antonio is at 29 degrees 22'

(FYI for comparison, Cleveland is 41 degrees 30')

Also FYI, the 41st parallel locally sits on the dividing line between Medina and Wayne Co. and further east is the dividing line between Stark and Portage Counties. Nationally, the 41st parallel constitutes part of the border between Utah and Wyoming, also Wyoming and Colorado, and Colorado and Nebraska.

The 40th parallel IS the location of the Mason-Dixon line. That parallel runs through or near Columbus, so you see, you don't really have to go very far south to be "Below the Mason-Dixon line".

So, in theory, any city south of Columbus could be considered for inclusion in the AFC South, fair to say?

Which is how Indianapolis is probably argued as valid for AFC South I'm sure.

They were going to be moved to San Antonio or Los Angeles before Katrina hit. it was close to being a done deal. Even after the hurricane their owner wanted them to move, but the NFL stepped in apparently because it would have been a terrible PR hit and forced them to keep the team in the city. Gee, I wonder why they couldn't make that same kind of decision in Cleveland?

Because it only cheesed off the best fanbase in the history of sports rather than seemingly leaving a nature ravaged city without hope. Subtle difference I know, but still a loud one.

Ok...not that all of you have disproved my geographic argument. It still remains that the Chargers want a new stadium and have a out in their lease with the city I believe that kicks in this year for them to start looking at other cities if they don't have a deal with San Diego for a new stadium. The city passed a new baseball stadium 11 years ago and despite it passing the vote, was still delayed by 2 years because of lawsuits filed against it and Padres fever was big in San Diego after the 98 team made the world series. Fans in San Diego are pissed off that Norv Turner was brought back and bitter over the loss to the Jets. Any new stadium (unless privately funded) is going to have to be voted on by the city of San Diego and there is no way in hell people in San Diego will approve it.

The Chargers are moving....it's just going to happen and it's only a question of when and where it ends up being. Most likely would be the new stadium that has already been approved in South East LA county. The owner of the land is just waiting for a team to agree to move to start construction.

Ok...not that all of you have disproved my geographic argument. It still remains that the Chargers want a new stadium and have a out in their lease with the city I believe that kicks in this year for them to start looking at other cities if they don't have a deal with San Diego for a new stadium. The city passed a new baseball stadium 11 years ago and despite it passing the vote, was still delayed by 2 years because of lawsuits filed against it and Padres fever was big in San Diego after the 98 team made the world series. Fans in San Diego are pissed off that Norv Turner was brought back and bitter over the loss to the Jets. Any new stadium (unless privately funded) is going to have to be voted on by the city of San Diego and there is no way in hell people in San Diego will approve it.

The Chargers are moving....it's just going to happen and it's only a question of when and where it ends up being. Most likely would be the new stadium that has already been approved in South East LA county. The owner of the land is just waiting for a team to agree to move to start construction.

That would be a waste though. San Diego at least (used to when I lived there) supports the team. LA could care less. The only reason the NFL wants a team there is for $$. Screw LA I say. They had two teams once and lost them both.

Archived