THE BROWNS BOARD

Cleveland Gladiators sign QB John Dutton

TheClevelandSound

http://www.cleveland.com/gladiators/index...._sign_qb_j.html

CLEVELAND – John Dutton, one of the most accomplished quarterbacks in Arena Football League history, has signed with the Gladiators. Terms were not disclosed.

Dutton has played nine years in the AFL and won two ArenaBowl championships. He was MVP of ArenaBowl XVI.

“We simply have one of the best quarterbacks in the history of the game,” Gladiators coach Steve Thonn said. "John has won two championships, won an MVP award and has the respect of many people in this league. The support the Gladiators had from the community in 2008 made this a very attractive offer for him.''

Each year from 2004 through 2008, Dutton passed for more than 4,100 yards. He has started 80 consecutive games, the longest streak of any quarterback in AFL history. Dutton ranks seventh all-time in completions (2,442), attempts (3,873), yards (28,183) and touchdowns (563).

“As a former quarterback, I have tremendous respect for what John has done in our league over nine years,” Gladiators special advisor Bernie Kosar said. “He is a gifted player who has an understanding of the position, but also is a well-rounded guy off the field.''

Dutton’s AFL career began in 2000 with the San Jose SaberCats, where he played for three seasons. In 2002, he led the SaberCats to the ArenaBowl XVI championship and earned MVP of the title game.

Dutton was signed by the Colorado Crush in 2003 and played there through 2008. He is the Crush’s franchise leader in all major statistical categories for quarterbacks.

Dutton led the Crush to the postseason five straight years (2004-08). The Crush won ArenaBowl XIX in 2005, making Dutton the first quarterback in AFL history to lead two different teams to ArenaBowl championships.

There was no AFL season in 2009. Arena football returned as "arena football 1'' beginning this year; the league soon will be known again officially as the Arena Football League.

The Gladiators open their season April 3 against Arizona at Quicken Loans Arena. Call 216.685.9000 or visit www.clevelandgladiators.com.

http://www.cleveland.com/gladiators/index...._sign_qb_j.html

CLEVELAND – John Dutton, one of the most accomplished quarterbacks in Arena Football League history, has signed with the Gladiators. Terms were not disclosed.

Dutton has played nine years in the AFL and won two ArenaBowl championships. He was MVP of ArenaBowl XVI.

“We simply have one of the best quarterbacks in the history of the game,” Gladiators coach Steve Thonn said. "John has won two championships, won an MVP award and has the respect of many people in this league. The support the Gladiators had from the community in 2008 made this a very attractive offer for him.''

Each year from 2004 through 2008, Dutton passed for more than 4,100 yards. He has started 80 consecutive games, the longest streak of any quarterback in AFL history. Dutton ranks seventh all-time in completions (2,442), attempts (3,873), yards (28,183) and touchdowns (563).

“As a former quarterback, I have tremendous respect for what John has done in our league over nine years,” Gladiators special advisor Bernie Kosar said. “He is a gifted player who has an understanding of the position, but also is a well-rounded guy off the field.''

Dutton’s AFL career began in 2000 with the San Jose SaberCats, where he played for three seasons. In 2002, he led the SaberCats to the ArenaBowl XVI championship and earned MVP of the title game.

Dutton was signed by the Colorado Crush in 2003 and played there through 2008. He is the Crush’s franchise leader in all major statistical categories for quarterbacks.

Dutton led the Crush to the postseason five straight years (2004-08). The Crush won ArenaBowl XIX in 2005, making Dutton the first quarterback in AFL history to lead two different teams to ArenaBowl championships.

There was no AFL season in 2009. Arena football returned as "arena football 1'' beginning this year; the league soon will be known again officially as the Arena Football League.

The Gladiators open their season April 3 against Arizona at Quicken Loans Arena. Call 216.685.9000 or visit www.clevelandgladiators.com.

He was with the Browns in training camp in 99. He was a little stiff then, but had a good arm.

Zombo

He was with the Browns in training camp in 99. He was a little stiff then, but had a good arm.

Zombo

I liked Philpot or whatever his name was. I was just starting to really get into that stuff when they folded.

So? As I mentioned on the other thread, is this guy the next Kurt Warner?

Well, he's 35, so the chances of him stepping into the NFL at this age, learning the playbooks and the speed of the game, winning a starting job and becoming a franchise QB are ... Zero.

Zombo

The Arena League is a great training ground for guys that are capable physically (like Warner) of being NFL QB's. The speed of the game and quick/accurate decision making are huge for guys that can translate it to the NFL level. Most of your Arena QB's are serious gamers but are either smaller or just don't have an NFL arm. It doesn't mean they can't play a bitching QB at the Arena level though, and many NFL QB's wouldn't be any good in the Arena League. DA comes to mind as being one who would suck major balls in the AFL.

The Arena League is a great training ground for guys that are capable physically (like Warner) of being NFL QB's. The speed of the game and quick/accurate decision making are huge for guys that can translate it to the NFL level. Most of your Arena QB's are serious gamers but are either smaller or just don't have an NFL arm. It doesn't mean they can't play a bitching QB at the Arena level though, and many NFL QB's wouldn't be any good in the Arena League. DA comes to mind as being one who would suck major balls in the AFL.

Who else besides Warner has come out of the Arena League to have NFL Success?

Well no one has had the NFL success Warner has in such a transition. Its practically unheard of, which is why Kurt's story is so unique

OK, so, no one else has come into the NFL and had a Hall of Fame career like Warner, but have any others come out and had steady, if not as spectacular a career? Even if they have started a handful of games?

In doing some research, the only names that I came across who graduated from the Arena League to the NFL with any success besides Kurt Warner were:

Oronde Gadsen WR

Paul Justin QB

Jay Feeley K

Rob Bironas K

That's all I could come up with. Not so good when your best graduates are kickers.

I wasn't implying that the Arena League is like a minor league I was saying that it can greatly improve someone like Warner's game. Guys with his skills usually never end up there. He credits the AFL with taking his game from suck to good overnight.

There are a shitload of QB's in the NFL now that would develop a ton with a year in the AFL, no doubt in my mind but it just doesn't happen cuz the AFL is basically a street league.

Oh yeah, I meant Raymond Philyaw earlier was a pretty good QB for the Glads, i liked him.

Archived