THE BROWNS BOARD

Anderson's abilities

Sturim

I'm going to turn this thing around here. I want to know from all the DA fans what exactly are the qualities that they saw in him that makes them think he is THE guy for cleveland...how he was going to lead us to the promised land. I feel it seems everyone is quick with the negative on both DA and BQ, I want to hear what the hell positive they saw in DA. I will tell u right now that at the end of the season last year I was saying trade DA for all u can get.

He has a laser, rocket arm. He can throw downfield pretty accurately when he's in sync with his receivers, and can definitely throw the homerun ball or the hail mary.

After that there's just alot of negatives, but you didn't ask for those.

Guest ATENEARS

He put up huge numbers last year, making those around him better (how else would you explain it?). He ran stale when defenses adjusted for him and in his corner was a first time GM, a first time Head coach, and a first O-coordinator to counter those adjustments.

The kid put up numbers just shy of Brian Sipe and won 10 of 15, and 7 straight Home games.

He has a big arm and if we have a T.O. or Moss or even a #1 WR who could catch, we might be thinking a bit differently about him. Hell if we had a running game we wouldn't have to rely so heavily on the short passing game to move the sticks.

I have no problem getting Quinn his playing time, that's what we drafted him for to make this his team ... I just don't get throwing a QB who flirts with a winning record under the bus when we couldn't put six wins in a season together let alone 7 at home.

Cheer for Brady now that he is in ... but answer me this, "Why the kicking of DA now that he is out?"

Brady Quinn is one blitz up the middle away from handing this thing back to DA. If you haven't noticed, Derek Anderson is still a Cleveland Brown.

Fair enough Stan.

I just wonder why you are so dead set on fanning the fire of those who post over-the-top stuff about Quinn. The vast majority of regular posters who have wanted to see Quinn have been pretty consistent in what they say:

Their opinion is that DA's ceiling isn't high enough to warrant keeping Quinn an unknown on the bench or to win championships.

Need we remind you that we didn't make the playoffs last year, let alone make a championship run. So, 10 wins was nice but ultimately the proverbial "kissing your sister". Secondly, we were a 3-5 team looking like it wasn't heading anywhere when the switch was made. Again, no likely championship run let alone playoff run with DA at the helm in his fourth year and 1.5 years worth of starts.

At least for me it isn't about being "competitive". I've tasted that through our Sipe/Kosar years. I'd like to win Super Bowls.

Might Quinn be that type of QB? Who knows, its a tall order. I'd seen enough of DA to know one thing: we needed to find out.

Guest ATENEARS
Fair enough Stan.

I just wonder why you are so dead set on fanning the fire of those who post over-the-top stuff about Quinn.

Why would anyone be posting anything over-the-top about Quinn? He's been ok ... safe ... but if anyone claims that they've seen the light with him at the helm already deserves to be fanned. (especially those that mocked DA for some of the same type of play).

Need we remind you that we didn't make the playoffs last year, let alone make a championship run. So, 10 wins was nice but ultimately the proverbial "kissing your sister". Secondly, we were a 3-5 team looking like it wasn't heading anywhere when the switch was made. Again, no likely championship run let alone playoff run with DA at the helm in his fourth year and 1.5 years worth of starts.

At least for me it isn't about being "competitive". I've tasted that through our Sipe/Kosar years. I'd like to win Super Bowls.

Might Quinn be that type of QB? Who knows, its a tall order. I'd seen enough of DA to know one thing: we needed to find out.

Need I remind you that we were 4-12 the year prior to that 10-win season, 6-12 the year before that, 4-12 the year before that and 5-11 the year before that?

Have you found yourself unemployeed for the past 4 years, while holding out for that manager job? just asking ....

Why would anyone be posting anything over-the-top about Quinn? He's been ok ... safe ... but if anyone claims that they've seen the light with him at the helm already deserves to be fanned. (especially those that mocked DA for some of the same type of play).

Need I remind you that we were 4-12 the year prior to that 10-win season, 6-12 the year before that, 4-12 the year before that and 5-11 the year before that?

Have you found yourself unemployeed for the past 4 years, while holding out for that manager job? just asking ....

He is pretty safe, but there were a couple really bad throws that he got very lucky their weren't intercepted. I agree with running game comment. If we start using Harrison more, we'll have a good running game/pass to flats game. Everytime he touches the ball, he gets like 10 yards.

Guest Masters
He put up huge numbers last year, making those around him better (how else would you explain it?). He ran stale when defenses adjusted for him and in his corner was a first time GM, a first time Head coach, and a first O-coordinator to counter those adjustments.

The kid put up numbers just shy of Brian Sipe and won 10 of 15, and 7 straight Home games.

He put up big numbers for 7-8 games. After that, it looked a lot like this year.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/7389/g....uLYF?year=2007

while i like anderson, i don't think he's better for the team right now than quinn. i just think the timing of how he was demoted was unfortunate.

however, i like his quick release, accuracy deep and fearlessness. he's not afraid to test tight coverage because he can launch it past people.

i had hoped that, given time, he could develop touch on his short passes. that's what was, quite obviously, missing from his game.

that being said, quinn's consistency helps us more right now and will likely also help us more in the long run. when anderson was on, he was unstoppable, but when he went cold, he was an anchor.

I'm going to turn this thing around here. I want to know from all the DA fans what exactly are the qualities that they saw in him that makes them think he is THE guy for cleveland...how he was going to lead us to the promised land. I feel it seems everyone is quick with the negative on both DA and BQ, I want to hear what the hell positive they saw in DA. I will tell u right now that at the end of the season last year I was saying trade DA for all u can get.

In his only season...

He was #1 in the NFL for yards per completion after his predecessor was ranked 32nd.

He had the lowest sack rate among starters in the NFL after his predecessor had the highest.

He led a team to 10 wins the year after his predecessor led them to 4.

He threw more TD passes than anybody in the franchise had thrown in 26 years.

He was selected to the Pro Bowl by fans, players, and coaches over NFL "stars" Carson Palmer, Jay Cutler, Philip Rivers, David Garrard, Matt Schaub, and Vince Young.

He also won the respect of his teammates and coaches over a certain other QB who some think is the best player to enter the NFL in more than a decade.

All this while getting booed by his home "fans" who chanted the name of his backup.

...He was #1 in the NFL for yards per completion after his predecessor was ranked 32nd.

Agree here. Ranked in the 30's is not good. We now have a history of replacing QB's with such a low ranking. So, too keep other things consistant, let's give the QB a season and a half to prove himself.

Hey, are we on the same page here? :lol:

Good post Lum. DA had one hell of a year.

However....

He also won the respect of his teammates and coaches over a certain other QB

Decided to bench him in favor of that "certain other QB".

Doesn't diminish what he did last year. It does, however, show that the staff felt he had some accountability for his play this year.

It was a hell of a year and someone will give him another shot because of it.

DA has some good qualities and some bad ones. I think for DA to be his best he needs to be in an ideal situation.

I think if somehow he got into this situation he would be very successful:

-Dominant running game (He is below avg at throwing short / screen / swing passes which this would counter)

-Great pass protection (Most of his errors come from hurrying a throw and locking onto receivers. If he had a little longer than average time in the pocket (Like Ben he would be able to find an open receiver that isn't triple covered)

-Better than average receivers.

I think if he got into the above situation he could be very Favre like... he'll still throw a lot of picks but also a lot of TD's.

arm strength and dowfield accuracy, quick release, Fearlessness bordering on reckless at times, Size, Attitude, toughness.

I still dont think ANY decision has been made as to who (I know most fans have made up their minds) will be qb next year. Quinn is in the driver seat but still has to earn what fans have already given him.

arm strength and dowfield accuracy, quick release, Fearlessness bordering on reckless at times, Size, Attitude, toughness.

I still dont think ANY decision has been made as to who (I know most fans have made up their minds) will be qb next year. Quinn is in the driver seat but still has to earn what fans have already given him.

Agreed also.

What is fun, however, is to state your opinion as a fan.

Here's mine. Sitting here today, I think that Quinn will turn out to be the better option. I think DA's problems are not going away and I think they are limiting (i.e., ceiling's not high enough). So, while I'm not sure how high a ceiling Quinn has, its my opinion that its higher than DA's.

That said, I don't have a dog in the fight. I want the best guy and what I posted above is simply my ignorant, fan-perspective opinion on Wednesday, November 19th, 2008 at 10:58a EST. ;)

So, while I'm not sure how high a ceiling Quinn has, its my opinion that its higher than DA's.

Okay so that's your opinion.

The fact is that a beatdown of the Super Bowl Champions on Monday Night Football is within Anderson's "ceiling".

None of the last 13 other QBs to try have accomplished that against NY.

That makes any guess that somebody elses "ceiling" is even higher than that a real long shot prediction. But feel free to dream.

The fact is that a beatdown of the Super Bowl Champions on Monday Night Football is within Anderson's "ceiling".

That makes any guess that somebody elses "ceiling" is even higher than that a real long shot prediction. But feel free to dream.

Well Lum it is possible to assume that DA has a higher ceiling. But the fact remains that he also has an incredibly low basement and VERY rarely does he come close to his ceiling. At least since about week 8 of last year.

I believe he was referring to a consistant ceiling. It's proven DA can hit the once a season majestic grand slam.

I've said it before. He's the Browns' version of Russell Branyan. It can be beautiful, it just doesn't show up often enough and there's too many strike outs.

He's a good guy, there's no debate. I wish him well. I'd like to see him with the local support Quinn enjoys. I'm not a Hassellback fan anyways, so maybe he could head up to the NW corner.

This is the most civil you can be, huh? You came close to not being condescending but I really don't think you have it in you. Pretty pathetic.

How about this. If the Browns organization felt it was a "real long shot prediction" then why the hell is Quinn playing? Answer? The "fact" is that no one thinks its a long shot that Quinn might be the better solution. That's why he's getting the PT.

We all know DA can put it all together at times. That's at least what his NFL career has shown. The lows, however, are the concern. You cherry pick the NYG game. Fine. I'll cherry pick the second Bengals game last year; wind and all.

If Anderson could play anything like he did against NYG on any sort of consistent basis, not a damn word would ever have been spoken about Quinn around here. But that was the abberation. Going back to the middle of last year, he's the guy with low completion percentage, costly interceptions, and stupid decision making all at crucial times WAY more often than he is the NYG guy.

DA would have lost that game against Buffalo. He would have crumbled in crunch time. He should have shit his pants at those blitz packages right up the middle. We're already better off with BQ at the helm.

Two games in.

DA would have lost that game against Buffalo. He would have crumbled in crunch time. He should have shit his pants at those blitz packages right up the middle. We're already better off with BQ at the helm.

In some twisted way of trying to create balance on something we've had anything but for the last year....

Who knows how DA would have done against Buffalo. He's our backup QB right now so I'd like to think he would have come in and performed well.

Point is, both guys are our guys. Its purely speculation and opinion as to whom will be the better horse. That discussion can, and probably should, be a fun and civil one.

Its not that DA is a bad quarterback by any means. When he is in rhythm, he is probably a top 5-10 qb in the whole nfl. But that's the problem. He is very inconsistent with his play. But not all of that is his fault because we happen to have WRs with the same consistency problems. People have been awashed with the chance to start BQ and now that he is, I fully support him and hope he turns into a top flight qb. As for DA, I really hope he gets traded because he does have the chance to be really good. Truth is, he just wasn't a good fit for this team. He needs a team with strong WRs who don't make so many drops, misreads, etc... (like Arizona) I wish him the best of luck in what happens to him next season and I hope he does turn into a success. But for now, lets just cross our fingers and hope BQ can live up to his hype (which he still has a long way to go)

Anderson put up some of the statistically best games a Browns QB has had since 1999 last year. He has also put up some of the worst. He'll have a nice long career somewhere else.

DA gaves hope, excitment, and a winning season. He was on fire and had the appearance of doing whatever it took to win games. He threw the long ball accurately and made our offense explosive, especially the first half of last years season.

Then defenses started to take notice, found his weaknesses, exploited them, and DA has not been able to respond. He lost his confidence after the first couple games this year, and the rest is history.

Good Release

Amazing Arm

Awesome Accuracy

Sure, he is inconsistent but, most of the games we lost .. we had a receiver with oil in his hands and D that could not hold on for 1 more quarter.

The guy who said that DA will not beat Bills ? I challenge you to prove ur statement. I did not expect the Brown to win over the Giants. But guess what we did. And DA's long awesome throws were a big part.

Sure BQ has the skills needed to be a great QB and will do us good. But, with this team ... i will not be surprised if we go 8-8 next season also without making player changes. He will win some games while the games and in games where a strong arm will be a big boost, he will struggle.

I still feel that until this season is over we cannot guarantee BQ any starting spot over DA. Comparing the chances of Brown making the playoffs just by changing the QB is like .... a house that has a leaky roof and the house owner decides to paint the wall ....

The QB is not our weakest position, in fact we are much better in QB position than many teams (some that have assured playoff spots also).

When Derek was on he was like Peyton Manning. When he was accurate he was unstoppable. When his WR's caught the ball we won.

When things did not go his way he could not play himself or the team out of the funk. When things started going bad they stayed bad.

Cheer for Brady now that he is in ... but answer me this, "Why the kicking of DA now that he is out?"

People were kicking DA when he was in, just like Buffalo is kicking their starter. When teams get film on Quinn and he goes the route of DA we'll kick him as well. This is the NFL.

You know the drill. Don't act like Derek didn't have this coming.

Archived