THE BROWNS BOARD

Mayock not sold on Haden, Berry

mopaji

Mayock saying on NFL.com that Berry will "probably" be a top 10 pick. And that Haden "may be a top 15 pick". Although he does rank Berry as the number 1 safety (just edging out Earl Thomas) and Haden as the #1 CB.

I have to admit, I want Berry but Haden would be really, really nice. Here's the thing though, should we move down in the first round and accumilate picks if we can get Berry, Haden, Thomas, Taylor Mays, or even Kyle Wilson later in the 1st round? I brought this up before but after Mayock's analysis, it is really starting to look like the right thing to do. Especially when Free Agency isn't looking too promising. And if one of those QBs (Clausen, Bradford, McCoy) keeps falling, we may have a NY Jets scenerio from last year with teams offering up a lot for that #7 pick?

What do you guys (and gal) think? Am I still alone in this logic?

Oregon has two DB's in the draft that would make good late round picks. 2010 Scout.com NFL Draft Rankings has safety Terrell Ward ranked as a four star, ranked 8th safety in the draft. He was injured early last season but came on strong late in the season. Oregon's defensive strength was their defensive backfield. Walter Thurmond III was an outstanding cover corner in 2008. He was always put on the best receiver on the opposing team and shut him down. That is not easy to do with the quality of receivers in the PAC-10. He was injured in preseason and did not play in 2009. He has a three star ranking. He was still respected enough to be named a team captain anyway. If he performs well in the Combine, he could be a great steal in the later rounds. I've watched them both play and they would be up grades to what the Browns have right now. They both know how to tackle and have speed. I can see them as 4th, 5th, or 6th round picks.

No offense, Mr. Mopaji, but your summary's a bit inaccurate. Mayock said that Haden's "worst case top 15, certainly could be a top 10 pick". He also said: "No question in my mind that he's a #1 corner in the NFL."

You can watch the clip here

He did say Haden is worst case, a top 15 yes, but it still said "probably" on Berry being a top 10. This little detail still doesn't do enough to nullify the logic behind compiling picks. Especially when he also said this is an great draft for defensive players.

Don't we have a lot at the moment though? I'm not exactly sure on the number but I thought we had 11 or were those reports false?

I think these are the picks that we have this year. There are indeed 11 picks.

5,5,5 (Jets and Bucs)

6,6 (Panthers)

I think these are the picks that we have this year. There are indeed 11 picks.

5,5,5 (Jets and Bucs)

6,6 (Panthers)

All well and good but it could look like this.....

And we can still get a first year starter in the secondary. And with 3 3rd round picks, we can get our QB of the future and let him sit for a year or two. Of course this is all hypothetical and keeping with that theme, if we throw in a J. Harrison, Brady Quinn, or a Shaun Rogers, we could have some really premier draft picks this year. And with Man-heck-grin making the decisions, this could be a huge step towards the future for us. I know its hypothetical but it is the type of draft scenario I'm hoping for.

Archived