THE BROWNS BOARD

OT: OBX

Chicopee John

It looks like the family might venture down to the Outer Banks area for a week this summer.

I know that Rich4 is living in NC as is, maybe, T and DieHard.

I am looking for any advice and recommendations:

Best locations to stay - we will look for a house

Attractions near these locations

etc.

Thanks.

If any of you guys are in or near the area when we arrive, I'd be more than happy to buy you a beer or three.

Kosar for prez used to live on th OB, he can give you plenty of tips.

One thing I can tell you is that you will want to make sure you arrive early to catch a ferry. Some will spend the night and camp out to be first in line.

http://www.outer-banks.com/ferry/index.cfm

to bad messaging is turned off. i would give you my email address.

hint its not the one i used for this account, but stan has it, it is on my fb account.

It looks like the family might venture down to the Outer Banks area for a week this summer.

I know that Rich4 is living in NC as is, maybe, T and DieHard.

I am looking for any advice and recommendations:

Best locations to stay - we will look for a house

Attractions near these locations

etc.

Thanks.

If any of you guys are in or near the area when we arrive, I'd be more than happy to buy you a beer or three.

Hey John. I am actually moving back at the end of next month and would be happy to drink a beer or 10 with you. I lived there for 5 years. I might as well be out of work at the beach vs this shit hole. Anyways, places to stay? People pay out the ass to rent right on the beach, look for something on the sound. My girl used work at Sun Realty. How many people do you need to accomidate? You are seriously better off waiting until after Labor Day to be honest with you. Not sure about the kids schedule. Prices get cut in half. And if you wait until October or April or something like that you can pay about 20% of summer rates. My friend when down in October and paid $300/wk for a 8 bedroom house with a pool, it was 80 degrees out. Let me know about how many rooms you want. My girl has already moved down already and I will be leaving Mid-March. She can scope out some houses.

Places to go.

Resturants and Food: Kill Devil Grill, only one of 2 historical diners in the world that is made out of a rail car. Killer wings, great food. Get the wings and cheese steak egg rolls. Best meal for your buck.

Cheap lunch, John's diner, get the shrimp basket or cod, I hate fish but love this place. It is a great drive up and sit down cheap for the family. Mile Post 4 on the beach road.

Nightlife: Sunburns. From 11 - 2am crab legs are like $6 lb. It's been a year though, not sure if is the same deal. Big place to move around (I hate dinky places).

AVOID Barefoot Bernies, the owner is an asshole Steeler fan. I stole a small Steeler flag but the door a while back and replaced it with a Browns flag. I think he knew it was me.

AVOID the all you can eat, wait in line for 1 hour places. Buy a pot and steam your own at the house.

AVOID Mama Kwans. Got sick right after eating something bad there, the manager was an ass, wouldn't refund on anything on the check and he was a f*cking asshole. Got sick again, dumped my glass of water out in the bathroom, puked in the cup after we paid (with no tip) and left it on my table.

AVOID Kelly's cheese ball wanna be gangster fags coming in and out when you are trying to eat. Not bad food, but if you are there after 7:30, it sucks.

AVOID Port-o-call. My friend worked in the kitchen, enough said.

AVOID The Weeping Radish, owner is an asshole.

List of decent places, Mulligans, Rundown and Red Drum.

Oh shit. The best wings on the planet no shit, Old Tom's Tavern. It's about 15 minutes north of the bridge going to the beach, in Currituck. The owner and chef worked with Bobbie Flay. Such good food. Get the wings.

If anywhere, go to Old Tom's Tavern and Kill Devil Grill.

Adventure: Hand Gliding for the kids and adults. I used to work at the place that performs the lessons (it's only 25 feet off soft sand and there is an instructor holing a teather). Ages 8 - 80. Nighttime kayak tours are cool, one you go down a river that glows from the alge. Kicks ass. Let me know when you go, for the most part I can get hang gliding lessons free.

The traffic might be bad, but going to see the wild horses in Corolla is awesome, truly majestic. I would also make it to Ocracoke, you do have to take a ferry, but voted the best beach in the United States. Huge sand bar, great fishing. If you do fish FYI, don't wear weighters. 3 - 4 tourists die because they wear waiter and the shelf drops of so quickly they fill up and they drown. Go fishing, some of the best fishing on Earth. Just bring poles, there are double the price down there. Oregon Inlett is the best place.

Let me know what your into and I'll give you some more feedback.

Kosar for prez used to live on th OB, he can give you plenty of tips.

One thing I can tell you is that you will want to make sure you arrive early to catch a ferry. Some will spend the night and camp out to be first in line.

http://www.outer-banks.com/ferry/index.cfm

to bad messaging is turned off. i would give you my email address.

hint its not the one i used for this account, but stan has it, it is on my fb account.

You don't need a ferry anymore. I would arrive a day early on Saturday (which ever day it is before check in) camp out for one night at Hatteras national seashore. Then you can get to your rental company first thing while people are waiting on the bridge for 4 hours.

I live in Ohio John. But in a few years I'm going to move. The older you get, the less fun cold weather is. NC is an option, as is Pensacola, FL. I want to live near a base to better use my retired military benefits. Closest thing here is a little Coast Guard Exchange off of Puritas Ave. Nearest large base is Wright Patterson AFB near Dayton (190 miles). Hope you enjoy your vacation.

I live in Ohio John. But in a few years I'm going to move. The older you get, the less fun cold weather is. NC is an option, as is Pensacola, FL. I want to live near a base to better use my retired military benefits. Closest thing here is a little Coast Guard Exchange off of Puritas Ave. Nearest large base is Wright Patterson AFB near Dayton (190 miles). Hope you enjoy your vacation.

That's the way to go man, warmer weather. After 2 car accidents I wake up and walk like Frankenstein for 30 minutes in this cold here. Don't blame you. Check out Greenville, SC too. KSHutch lives there and she loves it.

Archived