THE BROWNS BOARD

Vancouver olympics

I was anticipating the American women to beat the Canadian women, and the Canadian men to beat the American men. But now that the Canadian women have won, we have to hope that Team USA Men pull it off.

Of course both the US and Canada have to win a semifinal match for that to happen, and that won't necessarily be easy.

I was anticipating the American women to beat the Canadian women, and the Canadian men to beat the American men. But now that the Canadian women have won, we have to hope that Team USA Men pull it off.

Of course both the US and Canada have to win a semifinal match for that to happen, and that won't necessarily be easy.

aren't Canadians Americans too? how bout this:

who will take the gold?

An American.

I watched the first game and the only reason we won that game was because Ryan Miller was a beast. He completely outplayed Brodeur. We won in spite of the fact Canada outshot us almost 3 to 1.

I then watched the Canada-Russia game when Canada tore Russia up. Since the loss to the US, Canada beat Germany 8-2 and Russia (who was supposedly the second most talented team after Canada) 7-3 in a game not as close as the score.

Canada WANTS the US. Unless Miller plays out of his mind, I pray for mercy for the US in a rematch. This means everything to Canada and that loss focused them.

I'm with Mopaji. I'm rooting for the Canucks. This means everything to them. The average american doesn't care about US olympic hockey. Plus, it's not like we're playing Russia, it's our friendly neighbors to the North.

The American girls hocky team didn't have the experience, not the skills to beat the Canadians unless the Canadians had an off day.

They had one of their best days. The Americans gals really had tons of heart, but they are mostly a young team. Winning the Silver - well,

we were proud of them. The Canadians were so good, they deserved the gold.

I don't know what's going to happen with the men's game, but I think they might take home the gold if they play their "A" game.

The Russians I think were out-toughed and outplayed. I look for the Americans to win anyways.

Meanwhile, curling is a heck of a lot of fun to watch, and I hate bowling in any form.

judging by a few of the posts, America has apparently become synonymous with the U.S. for some of you, eh? maybe it's a regional thing...as in my region doesn't. it just stood out to me that's all.

speaking of p.c., any thoughts on the Canadian women's post win celebration on the ice?

the beer, bubbly, cigars, piling on...

i'm perfectly fine with keeping it real--it's just culture to me. i'm tired of not being the squeaky-clean image we portray ourselves to be. let's be honest: truly being that person isn't an option for 99% of us anyway. instead let's accept ourselves for the grimy-ass humans that we actually are, instead of simply acting like something we aren't for PR's sake. doing it behind closed doors doesn't relieve you from guilt anyway.

it's not like our true nature is some big secret>>look at the tv ratings: collectively WE LOVE the dirt, drama, depravity, and disgust. let's embrace the truth! in the least it would give the forsaken a shot at existing in our hereditary puritanical bullshit society. in case it wasn't apparent, fukkin prudes make me sick.

judging by a few of the posts, America has apparently become synonymous with the U.S. for some of you, eh? maybe it's a regional thing...as in my region doesn't. it just stood out to me that's all.

speaking of p.c., any thoughts on the Canadian women's post win celebration on the ice?

the beer, bubbly, cigars, piling on...

i'm perfectly fine with keeping it real--it's just culture to me. i'm tired of not being the squeaky-clean image we portray ourselves to be. let's be honest: truly being that person isn't an option for 99% of us anyway. instead let's accept ourselves for the grimy-ass humans that we actually are, instead of simply acting like something we aren't for PR's sake. doing it behind closed doors doesn't relieve you from guilt anyway.

it's not like our true nature is some big secret>>look at the tv ratings: collectively WE LOVE the dirt, drama, depravity, and disgust. let's embrace the truth! in the least it would give the forsaken a shot at existing in our hereditary puritanical bullshit society. in case it wasn't apparent, fukkin prudes make me sick.

Are you Canadian, eh ya hoser?

Yea, but in that context, a Chilean or a Brazilian are also Americans.

absolutely. don't you consider them as such? or are you an exclusionist or something? :)

i understand its ambiguous use meaning "USA" by general popular culture reference and how cliche it has become...but in reality, Central/South America, and Canada, and people on the islands in between are every bit as much Americans as we are here in the USA.

In 1507, German cartographer Martin Waldseemüller produced a world map on which he named the lands of the Western Hemisphere "America" after Italian explorer and cartographer Amerigo Vespucci.

Are you Canadian, eh ya hoser?

nope, grimy-ass-full-blooded-USA mutt.

USA is the only country that actually has "America" in it's name, so I'd say calling US citizens Americans is proper. Not to mention it is the biggest in population and economy.
accepted i will agree with...but as far as proper i'm not so sure.

"The use of America to mean the United States may cause offense to people from Canada and Central and South America, and should be avoided.

While many in the United States of America and other countries generally refer to the country as America and US residents/citizens as Americans, many people elsewhere in the Americas resent what they perceive as misappropriation of the term in this context and, thus, this usage is frequently avoided. In Canada, their southern neighbor is seldom referred to as "America", with the United States, the U.S., or (informally) the States used instead. English dictionaries and compendiums differ regarding usage and rendition.

used ambiguously it seems to be a resentful term to many outside the US. it can also seem quite pretentious and dismissive, like referring to ourselves as the privileged "cool kids" or something, so personally i try to avoid it. using "States" is more concise and specific, and we are also the only ones to use that particular term so that one makes more sense to me when speaking internationally.

re: biggest in population and economy>>> according to Wikipedia, in 2005 The majority of the population [of the Americas] live in Latin America at 308 Mil in USA vs 502 Mil in Latin America. this includes Venezuela, Peru, and Brazil--without them included Latin America's population is still approximately 283 Mil--a staggering number considering the comparative geography.

based upon the education i've received it could be argued our economies are symbiotic>>>more specifically they are the host and we are the parasite...but i'm probably splitting hairs here.

tangent ON. for just one of the umpteen-million examples regarding why i feel this way google Chevron's recent Amazon oil "spill" and the world's largest lawsuit (recently filed by Ecuador/Paraguay) taking place right now. 18X the size of the Exxon Valdez spill--now that's a lot of effin oil byproduct--not by accident or even an actual spill, but consciously pumping the waste into the Amazon River and its tributaries because it was simply...cheaper....well that and there were no regulations in place to protect the habitat for the nearly infinite numbers of indigenous species. regulations or not, what about commom sense and basic right and wrong? essentially they did that for us! they are representing us! WTF?!?

although i'm thoroughly tired of the mirage American society participates in, my stars and stripes are every bit as bright as any you'll find anywhere...just in realer, more genuine ways. tangent OFF.

absolutely. don't you consider them as such? or are you an exclusionist or something? :)

i understand its ambiguous use meaning "USA" by general popular culture reference and how cliche it has become...but in reality, Central/South America, and Canada, and people on the islands in between are every bit as much Americans as we are here in the USA.

In 1507, German cartographer Martin Waldseemüller produced a world map on which he named the lands of the Western Hemisphere "America" after Italian explorer and cartographer Amerigo Vespucci.

nope, grimy-ass-full-blooded-USA mutt.

accepted i will agree with...but as far as proper i'm not so sure.

"The use of America to mean the United States may cause offense to people from Canada and Central and South America, and should be avoided.

While many in the United States of America and other countries generally refer to the country as America and US residents/citizens as Americans, many people elsewhere in the Americas resent what they perceive as misappropriation of the term in this context and, thus, this usage is frequently avoided. In Canada, their southern neighbor is seldom referred to as "America", with the United States, the U.S., or (informally) the States used instead. English dictionaries and compendiums differ regarding usage and rendition.

used ambiguously it seems to be a resentful term to many outside the US. it can also seem quite pretentious and dismissive, like referring to ourselves as the privileged "cool kids" or something, so personally i try to avoid it. using "States" is more concise and specific, and we are also the only ones to use that particular term so that one makes more sense to me when speaking internationally.

re: biggest in population and economy>>> according to Wikipedia, in 2005 The majority of the population [of the Americas] live in Latin America at 308 Mil in USA vs 502 Mil in Latin America. this includes Venezuela, Peru, and Brazil--without them included Latin America's population is still approximately 283 Mil--a staggering number considering the comparative geography.

based upon the education i've received it could be argued our economies are symbiotic>>>more specifically they are the host and we are the parasite...but i'm probably splitting hairs here.

tangent ON. for just one of the umpteen-million examples regarding why i feel this way google Chevron's recent Amazon oil "spill" and the world's largest lawsuit (recently filed by Ecuador/Paraguay) taking place right now. 18X the size of the Exxon Valdez spill--now that's a lot of effin oil byproduct--not by accident or even an actual spill, but consciously pumping the waste into the Amazon River and its tributaries because it was simply...cheaper....well that and there were no regulations in place to protect the habitat for the nearly infinite numbers of indigenous species. regulations or not, what about commom sense and basic right and wrong? essentially they did that for us! they are representing us! WTF?!?

although i'm thoroughly tired of the mirage American society participates in, my stars and stripes are every bit as bright as any you'll find anywhere...just in realer, more genuine ways. tangent OFF.

We (the USA) are called Americans. Not Canadians, Mexicans, Columbians, Brazilians, Peruvians, Etc. So STFU already.

We (the USA) are called Americans. Not Canadians, Mexicans, Columbians, Brazilians, Peruvians, Etc. So STFU already.

Right. If we didn't call ourselves "Americans" what would we call ourselves?

United Staters? United Statians?

The official name of the country is "The United States of America". Thus, Americans.

Think of the other 40 or so other nations in the Western Hemisphere and what they call themselves:

Canadians

Mexicans

Guatamalans

Costa Ricans

Nicaraguans

El Salvadorans

Hondurans

Beliz?....ers, ites, ans?

Panamanians

Cubans

Bahamians

Haitians

Dominicans

Grenadans

Columbians

Venezualans

Peruvians

Ecuadorians

Bolivians

Guyanans

Brazilians

Argentinians

Chileans

Uraguayan

What else?

Tobagans? (they should be good at the bobsled events)

Guest 88fingerslewy

Most fellow Canadians don't like to hear me say this but if it wasn't for the USA we'd be speaking Russian. Then our hockey team would be full of pussies. Giggity.

Here's some post Olympic stats.

-17 million Canadians viewed the Gold medal game. Most TV viewership in Canadian history. 1/2 our total population.

-In Toronto, Yonge St was closed for hours due to crowds pouring into the streets. A street hockey game broke out with nets and everything

-USA took more medals than any country EVER in the winter Olympics

-Canada took most Golds EVER in the winter Olympics

Bottom line folks....North America kicked some serious Euro ass. Good on both of us.

There's no other country I'd rather have as a neighbor. Except maybe Switzerland, I really like chocolate.

Agreed - North America really kicked the World's butt, not just the Euros in these Olympics!

There's no other country I'd rather have than Canada as neighbors either - what with your great exports like Canadian beer and beautiful women! Any neighbor who gives you beer and women is alright by me!

Agreed - North America really kicked the World's butt, not just the Euros in these Olympics!

There's no other country I'd rather have than Canada as neighbors either - what with your great exports like Canadian beer and beautiful women! Any neighbor who gives you beer and women is alright by me!

And don't forget William Shatner, Michael J. Fox, Shania Twain, Neil Young, Dan Aykroyd, and Jim Carrey just to name a few.

I hope you tuned in, because that may well go down as the greatest hockey game ever played.

I did man. I haven't tuned in to watch a hockey game (been to games) since Gretzky and the Oilers when I was like 8. Might have to catch a game or two. But I think the big obstacle is us Cleveland fans is we love our Cleveland teams. Trust me it would be different if Cleveland had one.

Archived