THE BROWNS BOARD

Finding a new quarterback

bkosar74

The article was interesting. I thought his conclusion was extremely weak. The Key to winning in the NFL is a good offense and a franchise QB is prerequisite for a good offense. It has been proven over and over through the years that franchise QB's indeed come in the first round. Drew Brees lasted till round two because of the so called too short to small myopia. He talked about risk of drafting a QB with the one pick. Heck drafting at any other position is a huge risk as well with NOT nearly the upside in payoff.

Something the author missed completely was winning as well in college. Those that have the best chance of being franchise championship QB's were also huge winners in college. Ben Rothlisberger is an example.

Brady Quinn is an example of the guy who lost all his big games in college. That is why I never wanted to draft him. Further Cleveland needs to get a franchise QB because we have none.

Thanks for the good read! :rolleyes:

Peyton Manning disproves the winning in college is important theory. For that matter, so does Gino Torretta, Steve Walsh, Charlie Ward, Danny Wurffle and many many others who won all the time in college and took a huge dump in the NFL.

College doesn't mean dick towards winning in the NFL nor do numbers really. I get tired of that argument and no da ich, that isn't a direct slam on you just my opinion.

I sort of agree with you. And, the author's conclusion was somewhat weak, but I thought that was intentional. He was saying, your best bet is a QB in the first round.....but there's HUGE risk. But, if you don't take a QB in the first round don't bother trying to outsmart everyone with a later round pick. Sometimes a late round pick works - but, chances are, you have to try to hit on several players before one works out.

Espn.com is saying Sam Bradford has bulked up to 236lbs. I always thought he looked small and lanky, but 6'4" 236 is a big son of a bitch. I would not hate him as our qb, if he falls to 7, MH will find it hard to pass him up.

Some things never change............Mark and Riffer never got it...................

statistics say the opposite of their view....the numbers and results overwhelming support my conclusions

...........we been losing for years with all the wrong formulas........lets hope this mgt gets it finally

What part don't I get Rich? How many big games did Peyton Manning win in college? Think Indy wants to trade the last 11 years with him as a starting QB? How about the national championships won by Toretta, Wurffle, Ward, Walsh, etc etc and how did their NFL careers turn out?

Winning in college does not guarentee NFL sucess.

Wining in College does not mean you win in the Pros. But using Peyton Manning is using an exception not a rule. That is no different than using Tom Brady as an example of what a 6th round pick can give you.

I didn't read the article but I seem to recall something like half the QBs are from the first round and the other half are from all other rounds. It is kind of a no brainer that people picked in the first round generally are better than those picked later. The question for the Browns would be if this is the time to go after a franchise QB, maybe if Bradford drops but otherwise no way. Bring in a veteran to START and keep BQ as the backup since he is the more affordable bad QB on the roster.

Espn.com is saying Sam Bradford has bulked up to 236lbs. I always thought he looked small and lanky, but 6'4" 236 is a big son of a bitch. I would not hate him as our qb, if he falls to 7, MH will find it hard to pass him up.

if he gets plowed to the ground on that shoulder of his, that means squat. too risky of a pick.

Archived