THE BROWNS BOARD

Oklahoma's Sam Bradford impresses Browns GM Heckert

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/...rd_impress.html

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- With no clear-cut Browns starting quarterback and Oklahoma's Sam Bradford gaining momentum as a franchise QB, Browns General Manager Tom Heckert didn't rule out trading up from No. 7 in the first round to acquire Bradford or another marquee player.

"I don't think we're closing the door on anything," Heckert said at the NFL Combine. "We're not shutting the door on moving up or even moving back. We're listening to a lot of different teams. It's still early. We have talked to teams about moving up and moving back. We're not closing the door on any position."

He declined to say whether or not teams have come calling for Brady Quinn or Derek Anderson, who has a $2 million roster bonus due March 19. The Browns have said they'll go down to the wire on their decision whether or not to pay the bonus, but Anderson would most likely rather be released by Friday, so he catch the first wave of free agency. He won't attract much attention on the trade front because of his $7.45 million base salary.

But Quinn has a modest base salary of $700,000 and can make another $5.95 million in escalators if he plays 70 percent of the snaps this season, which might make him more marketable.

"My job is to get good football players," said Heckert. "If I think we can get a really good football player by moving up and if we have a chance to do that, we'll do it."

Coach Eric Mangini also said he's not opposed to moving in the first round.

"In New York we traded up twice that second year to get [cornerback Darrelle] Revis and [linebacker David] Harris," he said. "We traded back a bunch. Either way. I don't mind."

Heckert acknowledged that Bradford, the 2008 Heisman Trophy winner, seems to have what it takes to be a successful NFL quarterback.

"He's a big kid, he's accurate, he won a lot of football games, he's a leader," said Heckert. "That pretty much sums it up. He has all the tools to put it together. Everyone wants to say he's a franchise, but until he does it you never know."

Bradford is recovering from a reconstructed shoulder that caused him to miss all but three games of the 2009 season. But he said at the Combine that he's 85 percent and plans to "put on a great show" at his pro day March 25. The Rams are reportedly pondering taking him at No. 1.

Other top players the Browns would most likely have to trade up for include defensive tackles Gerald McCoy of Oklahoma and Ndamukong Suh of Nebraska, and safety Eric Berry of Tennessee.

Free agent moves: Heckert said the Browns probably won't announce the tenders for their restricted free agents until Wednesday or Thursday, when they are due. Free agency opens Friday.

The Browns RFA's include safeties Brodney Pool and Abe Elam, linebackers D'Qwell Jackson, Jason Trusnik and Matt Roth, running back Jerome Harrison and fullback Lawrence Vickers.

Heckert met with Harrison's agent at Indianapolis, but said he hasn't discussed long-term deals with any of the players.

Williams' future? Defensive end Corey Williams was unhappy with his lack of playing time in 2009. Williams is due a $1.7 million roster bonus in March and a $4.2 million salary, and the Browns might either release him or try to trade him.

Williams' agent, Mitch Frankel, met with Browns officials at the combine, but no resolution was reached.

"We want to know how they view Corey's role," said Frankel. "He just wants to play."

Williams has made it clear he wants to return to a 4-3 defense.

Injury update: Heckert said he talked to Shaun Rogers (broken leg) last week and the nose tackle should be ready for minicamp. Eric Barton (neck surgery) is scheduled for another exam soon.

"We assume all of our guys are going to be back ready to go," said Heckert. "I don't think we're going to miss anybody."

Cribbs' close: The Browns continue to make good progress on the new deal for Josh Cribbs. It could be done anytime, a league source said.

Guest birddog1

If they do trade up to draft Bradford they better be as certain as possible that he is THE guy. We can't afford to blow this draft. That said, I feel a lot more confident with Holmgren and Heckert making those decisions as opposed to Mangini on his own.

Archived