THE BROWNS BOARD

Jerome Harrison

Thaak

We will not be trading Jerome Harrison. He will be tendered at the highest possible level (1st and 3rd) and no team is going to offer him a contract that we would refuse to match and then give up the 1st and 3rd. We also, will not trade Harrison for less than what the RFA tender would give (unless it is a top 5 1st rounder this year—this trade does not include anything to do with our #7 overall—and would only happen if we can be assured to get Suh, McCoy or Bradford). All things according to plan, we are going into 2010 season with Harrison as our feature back with Davis and Jennings platooning behind him.

3 Reasons for this:

1) Holmgren indicated the team would make it very difficult for any other team to get Harrison.

2) When given a chance (every time) Harrison shined.

3) Even against a crap run D, when they put 9 or 10 guys in the box, you shouldn’t be able to run for over 300 yards. The Browns did against KC, and Harrison had the 3rd highest rushing total ever.

Now lets look at some actual stats, instead of having folks throwing up some half-baked (me included) observations and skewed analysis.

2006, he was drafted 5th round:

Didn’t touch the ball more than 7 times (this is a max, his average touches per game was like between 2 and 3 touches a game—rushes & receptions) a game all season, and still managed to bust 14, 12, 11, & 15 yard runs in 4 separate games and 9, 12, 8, & 6 yard receptions in 4 separate games. He fumbled once but did not lose the fumble. He touched it 29 times for 107 yards, zero fumbles lost, and an average of 3.69 yards per touch. Not bad, and if given more of a chance, he might have actually done more. But we will never know. He certainly seemed to do more on 3rd and long than Jason Wright ever did.

2007, during that bust out year of Andersons and the offense.

He played in only 4 games. I don’t remember if he was hurt, or if for whatever reason he was inactive. In those 4 games, he averaged 6.2 yards per carry and 9.5 yards per reception. He busted 14, 11,17, & 10 yard rushes in each game respectively, and a 15 yard reception in one of those games (two touches for 29 yards in one game.) Why he didn’t get more touches, I will never understand.

2008, during Crennel’s swan song season.

He played in most of the games, but again rarely touched the ball. He maxed out at 7 rushes in one game, and had a max number of touches of 8 (in that game he rushed 7 times). He averaged again, between 2 and 3 touches per game. He touched the ball 46 times with a 7.2 yard per carry average and a 9.7 yard per reception average. He busted a 12, 16, 33, 72T, & 12 yard rushes in 5 separate games. He also had 23, 19T, 18, 21, 8, & 9 yard receptions in 6 separate games. Now it is completely inexplicable why he isn’t getting more touches, other than Crennel is an idiot.

2009, during Mangini’s first season:

He was only inactive in one game, but there were two games he got no touches, and one game he got 1 touch for no yards. He averaged 5 to 7 touches (rushes & receptions) per game, except for 5 games this season, in which he was sorta featured. He ended the season with 228 touches for 1,082 yards, a 4.4 yard per carry average, and a 6.5 yard per reception average. He busted 17, 9, 21, 11, 10, 11, 71T, 17T, & 17 yard rushes and 15, 12, 18, 10, 17, 8, 9, & 11 yard receptions.

Take a look at the game by game stats for Tomlinson, Peterson, Holmes, Alexander, McAllister, et. al, and you will see that they had good games, and bad games. But that the coaching staff committed to each one, and allowed them to build up their yardage over an entire game. Some of these guys didn’t really get going until the 2nd half anyways (i.e. Jamal Lewis—in the 295 yard game vs Cleveland, they’d held him to a sub 3 yard per average and like 35 yards on 19 carries before he busted a long run. As a matter of fact, if you look at the carry-by-carry stats of that game, but for 5 long runs, Jamal was pedestrian.)

Every time Harrison has had a chance to touch the ball, he flashes. I don’t know why you guys can’t see that.

More like why couldn't the coaching staff see that.

Yeah, he was (is) a liability in blitz protection, but that shouldn't cancel out the obvious offensive production we were getting out of the guy.

You'd be hard pressed to find any fan who disagrees with you. I'm excited to see what he can do for a full season as the feature back.

That’s just it. Apparently I’m not hard pressed, because Mopaji and TimCouchpullsout both think if we can get a 3rd rounder for Harrison, we should pull the trigger.

The difference between Harrison and every other feature back in the league is about 15-20lbs of muscle. Plus, he fumbles, he has bad hands, and he cannot block. You can draft a RB who weighs 220lbs in the 4th round who can catch, block, and hold onto the ball. I'm not even sure a team would give up a 3rd for him but that's what I would require. I'm hoping some team out there sees his last few games and makes us an offer. Look, I like Jerome but he happens to play a position in the NFL that is expendable. He is the 'change-of-pace' back. Two coaching staffs couldn't be wrong about Harrison and Quinn's ability. There are flaww in his game. And with this team having so many needs, you have to look for offers before the draft.

I'm starting to see the Brady Quinn complex come out. A lot of fans ignoring the team's situation and are staying fixated on the chance to say "I told you so! I told you he was good".

The difference between Harrison and every other feature back in the league is about 15-20lbs of muscle. Plus, he fumbles, he has bad hands, and he cannot block. You can draft a RB who weighs 220lbs in the 4th round who can catch, block, and hold onto the ball. I'm not even sure a team would give up a 3rd for him but that's what I would require. I'm hoping some team out there sees his last few games and makes us an offer. Look, I like Jerome but he happens to play a position in the NFL that is expendable. He is the 'change-of-pace' back. Two coaching staffs couldn't be wrong about Harrison and Quinn's ability. There are flaww in his game. And with this team having so many needs, you have to look for offers before the draft.

I'm starting to see the Brady Quinn complex come out. A lot of fans ignoring the team's situation and are staying fixated on the chance to say "I told you so! I told you he was good".

Bad take and thankfully you're not running things in Berea.

Way to bring Quinn up too, that is really relevant to Harrison.

What games are you watching?! You obviously aren’t watching the Browns. He has a total of 2 fumbles lost in his 4 year career, and 1 fumble that was not lost. That is 1 fumble ever 115 touches. That’s actually pretty good in the NFL. He is also one of the better receiving backs in the league.

So again, I have no idea what games you are actually watching.

Harrison in his carreer is 271 attempts, 1310 yards, 4.8 yards per carry average (wow, that’s actually better than I thought), 72 long, 6 TDs, 57 receptions, 407 yards, 7.1 average, 23 long, 3 TDs, 3 fumbles, 2 fumbles lost.

In 2009, he had 34 receptions. 7 of his 9 TD’s came in 2009.

So I ask you:

How many backs had 34 or more receptions in 2009?

How many backs had more than 7 TD’s in 2009?

How many backs average a 10+ yard carry per significant game?

How many backs lose a fumble once very 136 touches?

If three of those are more than 20 in 2009, I’ll eat my hat.

Harrison in his carreer is 271 attempts, 1310 yards, 4.8 yards per carry average (wow, that’s actually better than I thought), 72 long, 6 TDs, 57 receptions, 407 yards, 7.1 average, 23 long, 3 TDs, 3 fumbles, 2 fumbles lost.

That would be a great year for almost any back but unfortunately thanks to perception or whatever it took JH 4 years to get there. I want to see what he could over one season as the featured back before we even think about trading him.

Well, two coaching staffs weren't wrong about Harrison. They both were right, in fact. He didn't do blitz pickups and wasn't a good threat out of the backfield. I disagree with your assessment, mopaji, that he is a fumbler.

But back to my original point. Both staffs were right, except one of those coaching staffs actually coached Harrison up so that he became better at the blitz pickup and as a receiving option. I'll let you figure out which one got through to JH.

What, Thaak posting about how he likes Harrison alot? Before you know it he'll be posting that we shouldn't take Eric Berry!

haha i'm just messing with you man.

I completely agree with you though. Harrison even though he might of run all over weaker teams (for the most part) showed explosion and the ability to carry the load. He definitely deserves a season to prove he can do it over 16 games and better teams.

I'm not gonna lie, I'm still leaning towards Haden in the draft but a C.J. spiller/Harrison/James Davis backfield sounds better and better..

Well, two coaching staffs weren't wrong about Harrison. They both were right, in fact. He didn't do blitz pickups and wasn't a good threat out of the backfield. I disagree with your assessment, mopaji, that he is a fumbler.

But back to my original point. Both staffs were right, except one of those coaching staffs actually coached Harrison up so that he became better at the blitz pickup and as a receiving option. I'll let you figure out which one got through to JH.

he's always been good at receiving out of the backfield.

What, Thaak posting about how he likes Harrison alot? Before you know it he'll be posting that we shouldn't take Eric Berry!

haha i'm just messing with you man.

I completely agree with you though. Harrison even though he might of run all over weaker teams (for the most part) showed explosion and the ability to carry the load. He definitely deserves a season to prove he can do it over 16 games and better teams.

I'm not gonna lie, I'm still leaning towards Haden in the draft but a C.J. spiller/Harrison/James Davis backfield sounds better and better..

hehe

That’s just it. Apparently I’m not hard pressed, because Mopaji and TimCouchpullsout both think if we can get a 3rd rounder for Harrison, we should pull the trigger.

I'll give you all the money in my savings account if you can find where I said that.

Good luck, because you can't. I said that if we were to trade him, now would be the year. Because this will most likely be his highest value, and we can get an RB with the same skill set in the 3rd round (or even probably later) in the draft.

Putting words in people's mouths makes you look foolish. Just a hint.

I'll give you all the money in my savings account if you can find where I said that.

Good luck, because you can't. I said that if we were to trade him, now would be the year. Because this will most likely be his highest value, and we can get an RB with the same skill set in the 3rd round (or even probably later) in the draft.

Why would you want to trade a guy with a known entity for a guy with an unknown entity who would have to go through the same learning curve that Harrison did?

He's ready, he broke out, capitalize on him don't give him away. The kid can ball.

Your posts on this topic make you look foolish. Don't think guys that quick with the hands and vision he has are dime a dozen in the 3rd. And if they were that still would not justify your thought process on trading him.

Also mopaji you have lost all credibility with your false claims of fumbling and bad hands. Clearly you are not even watching the games and are literally just making things up about a player you know nothing about.

Would you, or would you not, take a 3rd rounder for Harrison?

If you would, then my statement stands. I never said you said anything exactly. Just what you have already said you'd be ok with.

When you blatantly imply something, then my stating the obvious inference is not putting words in your mouth.

he wasn't "kept" off the field.....he simply was an unwilling blocker. that was really RAC's fault imo, because he never broke him of the habit. at least mangini tried, rather than just cutting him.

no one would (or at least, should) question his ball skills. kid can run......

Would you, or would you not, take a 3rd rounder for Harrison?

If you would, then my statement stands. I never said you said anything exactly. Just what you have already said you'd be ok with.

When you blatantly imply something, then my stating the obvious inference is not putting words in your mouth.

I would not.

So your statement doesn't stand. And, once again, I never said I'd be okay with taking a third rounder for him.

I don't see how you can infer that I would take Harrison for a third when I never said anything of the sort. I've clearly stated my stance on the subject multiple times, so if you're going to reference me then you can reference what I've actually said. Not what you think I'd do.

Why would you want to trade a guy with a known entity for a guy with an unknown entity who would have to go through the same learning curve that Harrison did?

He's ready, he broke out, capitalize on him don't give him away. The kid can ball.

Harrison isn't a known entity. All he's proven to me is that he can run against bad defenses when we have a good offensive line. That's not proving anything, in my book. I would be more content with his abilities if he performed against teams like San Diego and Pittsburgh. The only game he surprised me in was the early season Cincinatti game.

I'm not saying he's bad. I'm just saying he hasn't proven himself to be a "baller" yet.

I don't know how I can make this any clearer. I'm not saying that we should trade Harrison. I am saying that, if we were to trade Harrison, now would be the best year to do so.

Once again, I'm not saying that we should trade Harrison. I am saying that, if we were to trade Harrison, now would be the best year to do so.

listen, i don't think any browns fans on this forum wants for the team to be bad or make bad decisions. but when has JH really had a chance to show us anything besides the last half of last year? coaches, so-called gms and the hierarchy most likely always bow to a player that in the past has been good or great and gets paid top dollar, but now is over the hill (in the nba look at mcgrady) but you have to play them cuz you are paying him that top dollar.........and he sucks. aka jamal lewis. two years ago you'd be lucky to see harrison get 10 touches a game, and then they were always in spots where the defense knew we were gonna run and are O line couldn't block for ruth buzzi. hey, we've got a great spot in this year's draft at #7, why talk about trading a guy that was are only bright spot on offense besides cribbs? we aren't talking about trading him are we?

i usually dont take side on things that don't regard me, but I have to admit timmy never once has said he is in favor of taking a 3rd rounder for him. What he's been saying all along (which is honestly true, although won't happen) that his highest trade value is probably right now. It's good to just put up hypothetical to look at something from all angles. Don't worry tim, I understand what you're doing.

I would not.

So your statement doesn't stand. And, once again, I never said I'd be okay with taking a third rounder for him.

I don't see how you can infer that I would take Harrison for a third when I never said anything of the sort. I've clearly stated my stance on the subject multiple times, so if you're going to reference me then you can reference what I've actually said. Not what you think I'd do.

Dude, how can you sit there and say you’d be ok with a 3rd rounder for Harrison out one side of your mouth, and out the other say, I wouldn’t do it and then say that I can’t infer that you’d be ok with a 3rd rounder for Harrison? You make no sense whatsoever. Your word is meaningless in this conversation from now on.

Harrison isn't a known entity. All he's proven to me is that he can run against bad defenses when we have a good offensive line. That's not proving anything, in my book. I would be more content with his abilities if he performed against teams like San Diego and Pittsburgh. The only game he surprised me in was the early season Cincinatti game.

I'm not saying he's bad. I'm just saying he hasn't proven himself to be a "baller" yet.

I don't know how I can make this any clearer. I'm not saying that we should trade Harrison. I am saying that, if we were to trade Harrison, now would be the best year to do so.

Once again, I'm not saying that we should trade Harrison. I am saying that, if we were to trade Harrison, now would be the best year to do so.

He is a hell of a lot more known than any rookie we might draft.

Dude, how can you sit there and say you’d be ok with a 3rd rounder for Harrison out one side of your mouth, and out the other say, I wouldn’t do it and then say that I can’t infer that you’d be ok with a 3rd rounder for Harrison? You make no sense whatsoever. Your word is meaningless in this conversation from now on.

What the xxxx are you talking about? I'm sitting here, asking you to tell me when I have ever said that I was okay with a 3rd rounder for Harrison. I haven't said it out of either side of my mouth, because I've never said it at all. I literally have never said that. I don't know where you're getting this from, but you're wrong and you have been from the beginning.

I'm honestly starting to believe that you are crazy.

If I go by your reasoning, then I can say that you're saying you want LaDanian Tomlinson out of one side of your mouth and out of the other side you're saying you want Jerome Harrison. Since we're just making shit up now.

Once again, I have never said that I would take a 3rd rounder for Jerome Harrison.

Nor do I want to trade him, I'm only saying that if we were to trade him, now would be the time.

You people are delusional. You just pick and choose the things you want to read from posts and ignore the rest.

i usually dont take side on things that don't regard me, but I have to admit timmy never once has said he is in favor of taking a 3rd rounder for him. What he's been saying all along (which is honestly true, although won't happen) that his highest trade value is probably right now. It's good to just put up hypothetical to look at something from all angles. Don't worry tim, I understand what you're doing.

Thank you, at least somebody is capable at taking their emotions out of things for a half-second to look at something objectively.

I said that if we were to trade him, now would be the year. Because this will most likely be his highest value, and we can get an RB with the same skill set in the 3rd round (or even probably later) in the draft.

So I can't infer that you'd be ok with a 3rd rounder for him based on this comment?

So I can't infer that you'd be ok with a 3rd rounder for him based on this comment?

No? How could you? Just because it has the term "3rd round" in it? Did you just search my username and the keyword "3rd round" in order to make accusations against me?

So this statement has been the basis of your argument against me this entire time? To think, I was actually worried that you knew what you were talking about.

What my aforementioned statement describes is us trading Jerome Harrison and using one of our multiple 3rd round picks to grab an RB. Nowhere in there did I say that we should trade him for a 3rd rounder.

As I said before, it may do you good to actually read the full statements, and not pick and choose what you want to hear.

listen, i don't think any browns fans on this forum wants for the team to be bad or make bad decisions. but when has JH really had a chance to show us anything besides the last half of last year? coaches, so-called gms and the hierarchy most likely always bow to a player that in the past has been good or great and gets paid top dollar, but now is over the hill (in the nba look at mcgrady) but you have to play them cuz you are paying him that top dollar.........and he sucks. aka jamal lewis. two years ago you'd be lucky to see harrison get 10 touches a game, and then they were always in spots where the defense knew we were gonna run and are O line couldn't block for ruth buzzi. hey, we've got a great spot in this year's draft at #7, why talk about trading a guy that was are only bright spot on offense besides cribbs? we aren't talking about trading him are we?

I get all that. I even get why fans want to see more of him. I even like him as a RB. And if it were any other other year I would say keep him. But this year is a HUUUUUGE draft year for the Browns moving forward and the draft is loaded with talent. I just want to take full advantage of this scenerio. And if it means trading away one of the few guys we have with any trade value to infuse some young talent in here, I'm all for it. Especially when this team is built to run and whoever is back there will do well. In a perfect world, we would send Jennings back to the practice squad, Sign T. Jones, Leon Washington, or some other FA back and develope Davis by rotating him with Jones all year. In the process, we would have two draft picks for J. Harrison and a very nicely built backfield. Is Harrison good, yes, can he help this team, yes, would I be happy with him staying here, yes, can his role be filled by somebody else for less money and in the process gain two draft picks in a very very deep draft, yup. And that really is the basis for this trade idea.

Look, at the start of last year most fans were on board with the idea that this team would get a major face-lift in 2010. That time is here and there are only a few ways to acheive that face-lift. The most practical and effective way of doing that is by trading away any player with any market value from the previous regime. One of those guys is Harrison. The others are Rogers, Williams, and Quinn.

Archived