THE BROWNS BOARD

Agent for Cleveland Browns' D'Qwell Jackson miffed over broken promises of a new deal

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/...browns_dqw.html

Why are their so many contract troubles this year?

CLEVELAND -- The agent for D'Qwell Jackson lashed out at the Browns Wednesday for breaking their promise to sign Jackson to a long-term deal in the offseason and said "it's utterly ridiculous'' that he's awaiting a one-year tender from the team.

He said he and Jackson will meet soon to decide which course of action to take.

"I'm tired of excuses,'' agent Brian Mackler told the Plain Dealer. "The team made made promises of a new deal it has not kept. What they're doing is wrong. That we're even having this conversation about a tender is utterly ridiculous.''

Mackler is awaiting word on which tender Jackson will receive by tomorrow, but said, "It never should've gotten to this point. We were promised last offseason by (former general manager) George Kokinis that it would be done before training camp -- that we would begin serious discussions before training camp.''

Mackler said he dealt with interim GM Dawn Aponte after Kokinis was fired "and then she left.''

Mackler said he'll talk to the Browns front office over the next two weeks, then "meet with D'Qwell and come up with a plan.''

He declined to say if Jackson will ask to be traded if the Browns are unwilling to negotiate a long-term deal.

"I'm not going to get into that right now,'' he said.

Jackson said last week he expects to receive at least the first-round tender, which would pay him $2.521 million in 2010. If he gets the 1st- and 3rd-round tender, he'll make at least $3.168 million in 2010. Any team who signs would have to give the Browns the corresponding draft picks. The Browns would also have the right to match any offer.

"Coach (Eric) Mangini and (defensive coordinator Rob) Ryan know what type of player D'Qwell is and how vital he is for the Cleveland Browns to have success,'' said Mackler. "D'Qwell has expressed to them that he loves it in Cleveland and wishes to remain there. Now it's up to them to do the right thing.''

Jackson, who's recovering from surgery in October to repair a torn pectoral muscle that caused him to miss the final 10 games, led the Browns or finished second on the team in tackles in each of his first three seasons. He also led the league with 188 in 2008.

"D'Qwell has been one of the NFL's best inside linebackers and a model citizen off the field,'' said Mackler. "He's going into this fifth year and has done everything the team has asked of him through all of their ups and downs and changes and he should've been given some financial security.''

If the league's salary cap were not set to expire on Friday, Jackson would be an unrestricted free agent, most likely commanding a huge salary on the open market. He said last week's he expects to be cleared for full football action this week and will be 100% by training camp.

"If you don't take care of D'Qwell Jackson, who are you going to take care of,'' said Mackler.

Mackler said he hopes new general manager Tom Heckert can make things right.

"I've had a great rapport with Tom Heckert over the past 20 years and I hope and expect that he'll do the right thing by D'Qwell,'' said Mackler.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/...browns_dqw.html

Why are their so many contract troubles this year?

CLEVELAND -- The agent for D'Qwell Jackson lashed out at the Browns Wednesday for breaking their promise to sign Jackson to a long-term deal in the offseason and said "it's utterly ridiculous'' that he's awaiting a one-year tender from the team.

He said he and Jackson will meet soon to decide which course of action to take.

"I'm tired of excuses,'' agent Brian Mackler told the Plain Dealer. "The team made made promises of a new deal it has not kept. What they're doing is wrong. That we're even having this conversation about a tender is utterly ridiculous.''

Mackler is awaiting word on which tender Jackson will receive by tomorrow, but said, "It never should've gotten to this point. We were promised last offseason by (former general manager) George Kokinis that it would be done before training camp -- that we would begin serious discussions before training camp.''

Mackler said he dealt with interim GM Dawn Aponte after Kokinis was fired "and then she left.''

Mackler said he'll talk to the Browns front office over the next two weeks, then "meet with D'Qwell and come up with a plan.''

He declined to say if Jackson will ask to be traded if the Browns are unwilling to negotiate a long-term deal.

"I'm not going to get into that right now,'' he said.

Jackson said last week he expects to receive at least the first-round tender, which would pay him $2.521 million in 2010. If he gets the 1st- and 3rd-round tender, he'll make at least $3.168 million in 2010. Any team who signs would have to give the Browns the corresponding draft picks. The Browns would also have the right to match any offer.

"Coach (Eric) Mangini and (defensive coordinator Rob) Ryan know what type of player D'Qwell is and how vital he is for the Cleveland Browns to have success,'' said Mackler. "D'Qwell has expressed to them that he loves it in Cleveland and wishes to remain there. Now it's up to them to do the right thing.''

Jackson, who's recovering from surgery in October to repair a torn pectoral muscle that caused him to miss the final 10 games, led the Browns or finished second on the team in tackles in each of his first three seasons. He also led the league with 188 in 2008.

"D'Qwell has been one of the NFL's best inside linebackers and a model citizen off the field,'' said Mackler. "He's going into this fifth year and has done everything the team has asked of him through all of their ups and downs and changes and he should've been given some financial security.''

If the league's salary cap were not set to expire on Friday, Jackson would be an unrestricted free agent, most likely commanding a huge salary on the open market. He said last week's he expects to be cleared for full football action this week and will be 100% by training camp.

"If you don't take care of D'Qwell Jackson, who are you going to take care of,'' said Mackler.

Mackler said he hopes new general manager Tom Heckert can make things right.

"I've had a great rapport with Tom Heckert over the past 20 years and I hope and expect that he'll do the right thing by D'Qwell,'' said Mackler.

Quit whining. The people who made the promises are gone. And your client missed 10 games. and the defense improved without him.

He's a good player ... but, please, shut up about what Koko-nuts promised you.

Zombo

It sounds like players are looking for guaranteed money in case of a lock-out. I say the owners should continue to low-ball these guys, maybe they'll have to play next year. You know, so they can feed their families.

D'Qwell Jackson truely deserves to be paid. He is a very good LB and has did everything asked of him. Im sure the Browns at least got a 1st tendered on Jackson so his only hope of playing next year is as a brown so his agent and Holmgren/Heckett need to work out a deal for him.

D'Qwell Jackson truely deserves to be paid. He is a very good LB and has did everything asked of him. Im sure the Browns at least got a 1st tendered on Jackson so his only hope of playing next year is as a brown so his agent and Holmgren/Heckett need to work out a deal for him.

No they don't. D'Qwell needs to earn himself a new deal, if he wants one so bad. He proved he was expendable this year. All he is is a cleanup tackler, I haven't seen him make a play behind the line of scrimmage since his days as a Terp.

D'Quell should fire this childish, temper tantrum throwing agent.

He dealt with people I'm glad the Browns booted?

Now this stupid agent is saying this crap? When was Aponte booted?

I wouldn't draft a player if he has this agent. He needs a time out. @@

I just read this on the ESPN Browns 2010 Draft Conversation:

D'Qwell isnt looking for the huge payday, as much as he is looking for a long term deal. He wanted a new long term contract before he hit FA. Now that he has become a RFA, he's upset over being tendered, as opposed to getting the long contract. He may actually be one of the few guys on the team that wants to play his career as a Brown.

Cribbs wanted $$$ while under contract

Jackson wants years now he is not under contract

I'm not saying that he (his agent) are going to sign for what he has been making, but the years are more important. Anyone ever hear a peep out of him after registering 150+ tackles, about how he "outplayed" his contract? I would much rather pay him than Cribbs, he is more valuable to the team.

That's what's being pushed around over there.

Actually, I believe DQ has been somewhat of an underproducer. He has been just OK. It seems to me that he is eminently replaceable by any number of FAs that could be had.

Archived