THE BROWNS BOARD

Draft Needs

JB32GOAT

QB-Unknown

RB-we could use another RB as you dont know what you have in Jennings or Davis would really like to get gerhart or matthews

FB-Dont Need

WR-Could use a fast/tall WR

TE-depends on the QB if we are going with Quinn we need a pass catcher if not we need a blocker

OL-RG,RT-Signed Pashos probably eliminates us taking a RT on the 1st 2 days might take one on 3rd day for depth

DL-NT, DE?-Depending on Shaun Rogers

LB-MLB?-signed Fujita

CB-CB need a #2, very deep class

S-we let pool go, not as deep as a saftey class as people think

ST-None

RB-we could use another RB as you dont know what you have in Jennings or Davis would really like to get gerhart or matthews

WR-Could use a fast/tall WR

I agree with the reference to getting Gerhart, Just a personal feeling but I really like what he offers in athletic ability alone. Would make a great 3rd round pick up for us! i think Mathews will go before the 3rd.

As for WR, I think we need a true number one! We have Mass and he could be the guy, but I think he is a better #2 than #1. Just not sure beyond Tate in the second if there is a true #1 that we would take. I do realize that Tate isn't the tall reciever you said, but he is Fast as shown in the combine and he is built in the mold of Steve Smith (CAR not NYG).

Patrick Robinson would be a great addition at CB in the third round, even if we get Haden in the first, Our secondary is in dire need of talent.

Berrys my hope at 7, but Nate Allen from South Florida would be a good plan B. He could start from day one and after losing Brodney Pool (good move), we need to adress the saftey position. It would probably take a second rounder though, getting him in the 3rd would be a steal.

Im sure Holmgrens going to put a lot of focus on the offense too. I think hes going to make those desicions only when he knows who the quarterback will be. He mentioned before, you have to pick a guy, and surround him with players that fits his style of play. Our Qb situation for 2010 will be solved before the draft, or maybe we get Bradford if hes there. Either way, Holmgren will have a good idea of where we are by draft day. Our offensive picks in the draft will revolve around supporting our QB.

I really wouldn't be shocked if we trade Brady. He has value, DA is pretty much untradable right now. He could be a decent back-up. Hell, I think a fresh season will do him good. I have a feeling Holmgren likes DA better. I remember when he was asked a question about brady Quinn and he said "the other guys pretty good too", [he had a good game against us when I was with the Seahawks]

signing Carr would be interesting, Id rather not have another QB competition. Although, I doubt Holmgren will let that Happen. He'll pick a guy and stick with him...for the full year anyway.

If we can get one more starter in free agency or trade (I'm thinking WR or DB) then this might truly shape up to be a "best available player" type of draft (which is always great). I think that the pre-draft hype is always a load of BS and you can't really foresee what's going to happen. My thoughts on the Browns at #7 are:

1) Stay pat and take a defensive back. Even if they trade for someone, the secondary still needs legitimate bodies. I may be the only person on the planet that doesn't see them taking Joe Haden. I hate to downgrade anyone based on the combine but I am not getting the sense that this guy is impressive at all in his workouts. If you look at him in game situations his hips are very tight. He doesn't change direction particularly well. He got schooled by Lafell during the 2008 LSU game. That was embarassing. He looked absolutely lost. If the NFL were track and field and everything was a straight line, I'd say hell go for it. I don't know that safety is a bigger need than CB but I like Berry and Mays as safeties more than I like Haden as a corner. There will be corners in the second and third rounds.

2) Stay pat/trade up for a QB. Bradford or Clausen falling past Seattle and Washington is practically impossible. I suppose stranger things have happened.

3) Stay pat and take CJ Spiller. In the list of relative needs, I don't think that RB is anywhere near the top. I think that there are good running backs through the first three or four rounds this year. If we were to take Spiller, we'd have a stable full of guys none of whom are a "hammer". If you want to salivate, go look up Jon Dwyer highlights (Georgia Tech). Heck, depending on what you thought of him in interviews and his maturity....LeGarrette Blount from Oregon is a hoss. He goes about 240-245 lbs.

4) Trade down. I think that Heckert and Mangini both have a history of trading down. I think that unless one of the QB's or SF's drop...they'd ultimately prefer to trade down and pick up a pick. Get a mid-1st round pick and then trade back into the bottom of the first for a second first round pick (the key being not to overpay for a WR or another player without a top ten grade).

Just my .02. I could be totally wrong...

Patrick Robinson would be a great addition at CB in the third round, even if we get Haden in the first,

I can't disagree more about Patrick Robinson. While he was one of the better leapers at the combine, he doesn't look like an NFL corner. Here's why:

-consistently tackles too high with poor technique (all arms).

-plays slow. Is consistently behind the route. Doesn't seem to understand playing with leverage.

-mistimes his jumps (he's a good leaper though)

-doesn't use his hands well to fight the receiver at the line

-poor ball adjustments

On the other hand, I am VERY impressed with Kyle Wilson from Boise State. This guy is active. He's around the ball and hits very well. He's a playmaker. He's good on the blitz and in run support. Another guy that I like better (but I don't see the Browns taking due to character issues) is Perrish Cox. Cox has great ball skills. If he's near the ball, it's at least knocked away. He's excellent in run support and is generally consistent with his tackling which is sure. He's got good size and will contribute a ton on specials.

Patrick Robinson would be a great addition at CB in the third round, even if we get Haden in the first, Our secondary is in dire need of talent.

He will be gone by the third, I've seen mock drafts having him go very late first and second round

Nonetheless, this draft is deep in cornerbacks... I think we'll come out with at least two

The Browns are going to be making some trades as well, the forecast could change drastically before the draft, we still have 45 days fellas.

Archived