THE BROWNS BOARD

We are the Champions

The Gipper

This is going to be off topic, but I want to acknowledge the 2010 Ohio High School Division 1 Wrestling Champions:

WADSWORTH GRIZZLIES.

They are the first Public high school to win the Division 1 wrestling title in the State of Ohio in 34 years. The last time was in 1977. They dethroned the perennial champions from Lakewood St. Edward's. St. Ed's had won 25 of those previous 33 titles. It was great to see a team that gets all their kids from just the local community take down one of the big recruiting machines in this state. (It didn't happen in swimming. St. Xavier from Cincinnati won yet another state swimming title).

OK, obligatory disclaimer: I live in Wadsworth and my daughter is a WHS cheerleader.

And just FYI, Wadsworth wrestlers won the individual state title at the two heaviest weight classes. 215 pounds: Nick Tavanello, soph. (but honesty, a bit of a big a-hole), and 285 pounds: Ben Buzzelli (a really great kid). They both play football as well, and may be high on some recruiting lists for football. Wadsworth also had two other state champions at the lower weight level.

And, FYI, in the state tournament, every time a Wadsworth wrestler came up against a wrestler from runnerup St. Eds, the Wadsworth wrestler won.

Boo!!!

GO REVERE!

But congrats man.

Revere had Wadsworth's number in basketball. (but not football, Revere couldn't stay on the field with them).

I also had not one thing to do with it, other than to hear about it and report it. (I will go to many of the games where my daughter cheers, but not the other events. They don't send cheerleaders to wrestling matches) I didn't go to school there personally. When I was in school, Wadsworth was a big rival of my school. No more because Wadsworth just outgrew my school, so they don't play any more except in maybe a few girl's sports)

Revere had Wadsworth's number in basketball. (but not football, Revere couldn't stay on the field with them).

I also had not one thing to do with it, other than to hear about it and report it. (I will go to many of the games where my daughter cheers, but not the other events. They don't send cheerleaders to wrestling matches) I didn't go to school there personally. When I was in school, Wadsworth was a big rival of my school. No more because Wadsworth just outgrew my school, so they don't play any more except in maybe a few girl's sports)

I graduated from Revere last year. You guys kill us in football because you breed size. We kill you in basketball bacause of good coaching and speed. We also like to hand it to Wadsworth in track a few times (I ran all 4 years). Our wrestling was in its prime when I attended Revere, but its on a slow decline.

Congrats to Wads. They are a disgustingly good wrestling school. And had a good football team this year too. I was a senior at Cloverleaf this year. Number 76, played left tackle. Will be playing in the interior in college. Heres my scoutingohio link. http://scoutingohio.com/index.php/view-pro...bby76%40aol.com

In football, they only lost one game, and that was a big upset because they really didn't come to play that day. In the playoffs however, they just ran into a better team in GlenOak and got whipped.

Damn, when I went to high school (when dinosaurs roamed the earth), Maple Heights was the power house. My school, Valley Forge wasn't bad either.

You are absolutely right. In history, Maple Heights has won the second most number of Ohio high school wrestling titles. (I believe the coaches name there was Milkovich). In fact, here are the numbers of titles won in the BIG school division of Ohio HS wrestling:

Lakewood St. Ed...24 titles

Maple Heights...10 titles

Cleveland West Tech...6

Cleveland John Hay...5

Stow Walsh Jesuit...4

Cleveland West HS...3 (West side of Cleveland has always had good wrestling going back to the 1930s)

Garfield Hts...2

Euclid...2

Toledo St. Francis de Sales...2

Wadsworth...2 (this year and 1942)

Cleveland Rhodes...1

Shadyside...1

Lakewood HS...1

Euclid Shore...1

Shaker Hts...1

Bedford...1

Bridgeport...1

Cleveland John Marshall...1

North Canton...1

Bay Village...1

Parma Valley Forge...1

Elyria....1

Eastlake North...1

Cleveland Hts....1

Nordonia....1 (last public school before Wadsworth to win)

St. Ignatius...1

Cleveland St. Joseph...1

Note that since wrestling began in Ohio High Schools in 1938, only 4 times has a school NOT from the Cleveland/Akron/Canton area won: The two titles by Toledo St. Francis, the one by Bridgeport, and the one by Shadyside.

Archived