THE BROWNS BOARD

Steelers re-sign Clark

Steelers also sign safety Allen

The Pittsburgh Steelers made several moves Monday, including re-signing safety Ryan Clark and bringing back former wide receiver Antwaan Randle El, sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

The Clark deal is for $14 million over four years, a source told ESPN.com senior NFL writer John Clayton. It was somewhat of a surprise after the Steelers also signed free-agent safety Will Allen to a three-year deal earlier in the day.

Allen's deal is worth $4.495 million with $975,000 to sign, a source told Clayton.

The team also signed wide receiver Arnaz Battle to a three-year deal, the team announced Monday. Battle's deal is worth $3.975 million with $975,000 to sign, a source told Clayton.

Randle El's deal was for three years as well, a source close to the situation told Schefter.

After Washington released him last week, Randle El's first choice was to return to the franchise that he helped win a Super Bowl.

Both Allen and Battle have links to the Steelers' coaching staff. Allen spent the past six seasons with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, where he once worked with current Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin. And former San Francisco 49ers special teams coach Al Everett, now Pittsburgh's special teams coach, recommended Battle to Tomlin.

Battle is expected to help the Steelers as a backup wide receiver and offer help on special teams. He started 38 games for the 49ers from 2005 through 2007 and caught 141 passes during that span.

With Randle El and Battle in the fold, Pittburgh could cut ties with former second-round pick Limas Sweed.

They're focusing on skill positions without trying to shore up the offensive line. I like it, keep doing things that way Mike Tomlin.

Also, what do they need two starting caliber free safeties for? Is Will Allen only on the roster to play in Denver, where Ryan Clark can't play because of his sickle cell?

Allen was signed earlier in the day before Clark. Allen also improves our special teams and directly replaces Carter as a backup to both safety spots. Overall, a good signing..We also signed the Bills RT Jonathan Scott. (if you didn't know we fired last year's o-line coach and signed the Bills coach) He is 6'6" at 320 pounds. Said to be better run blocker than the guys we have now. That's not saying much, but its a good signing. Center is our only big hole at O-line at this point. We stayed quiet in FA but have no pressing need going into the draft. We can sit back and pick up a stud by going BPA.

Also, about Randle El. I am surpirsed I am the only one to mention he will likely run some WildDawg packages. So much for the phins spending a 2nd rounder on Pat White.

Allen was signed earlier in the day before Clark. Allen also improves our special teams and directly replaces Carter as a backup to both safety spots. Overall, a good signing..We also signed the Bills RT Jonathan Scott. (if you didn't know we fired last year's o-line coach and signed the Bills coach) He is 6'6" at 320 pounds. Said to be better run blocker than the guys we have now. That's not saying much, but its a good signing. Center is our only big hole at O-line at this point. We stayed quiet in FA but have no pressing need going into the draft. We can sit back and pick up a stud by going BPA.

Also, about Randle El. I am surpirsed I am the only one to mention he will likely run some WildDawg packages. So much for the phins spending a 2nd rounder on Pat White.

Tell your quarterback to stop raping chicks, Sliverdick.

The offense was not the problem. As odd as it may seem for the STEELERS it was our defense.

Agreed. The O Line not such an issue. Ben brings much of that on himself. And Mendy ran well as did Parker Late in the year. We need the D fixed. Foote may return as Depth... I bet we draft LB 1st round as well. Crazy as it seems. Unless Stud DL on the Board. If a Big Time RB fell to us That wouldn't surprise me either. Cant have enough RBs. Though it wouldn't be my preference. And Will Allen Great pick up even with Clarky still in fold. Depth (Troy a tad prone to Injury with that Style he plays) And In the Dime Defenses another Good safety valuable.

Archived