THE BROWNS BOARD

Anybody else think ESPN's James Walker is a peice of crap?

I literally can't read the AFC North Blog on ESPN without cringing. It seems like Walker goes out of his way to shit on Cleveland, the Browns, and it's fans. He quickly dismisses any success we have as a fluke, and constantly predicts us as being a cellar-dwelling team no matter what kind of moves we make. Take this article, for instance.

Free-agent quarterback Derek Anderson lashed out at Cleveland Browns fans after he was released by the team Tuesday.

Frustration had been mounting with Anderson ever since the end of the 2007 season. He had the finest year of his career, which included 3,787 yards and 29 touchdowns, but it never seemed to matter. It is a fact that he was cheered by Browns fans while injured, and things only got worse when his level of play dropped.

Living in Ohio for the past seven years, I will offer you two truths about Browns fans: First, it is an extremely frustrated group. Second, the backup quarterback usually is the most popular player in town.

Browns fans have an odd infatuation with players holding a clipboard. Somehow, standing on the sideline long enough creates legendary status in Cleveland.

It happened to Kelly Holcomb. It happened to Charlie Frye. And in Anderson's case, it most recently happened to Brady Quinn. All of these former backups were fan favorites until they also faltered, leaving Browns fans to seamlessly move on to the next target.

Should Anderson have made those comments publicly? No, especially since it was a parting shot on his way out the door.

But it's true that Cleveland is not a quarterback-friendly city, and perhaps Anderson's comments will provide Browns fans a chance to re-examine how they treat the NFL's most important position.

Now I know that he's a journalist, and is supposed to be completely unbiased, but it seems like he glorifies the Steelers and Ravens (and even the Bengals at times) but has never said one positive thing about Cleveland. Don't get me wrong, his blog is still informative, but it's also a bit anti-Cleveland.

I don't know, maybe it's just me. I am in a shitty mood today, after all.

Until the Browns get to the superbowl, he and others will continue to act

like they knew the Browns wouldn't get to the superbowl.

After that, they'll be very quiet, and go on to pick on Detroit and the Rams, etc.

But it's true that Cleveland is not a quarterback-friendly city, and perhaps Anderson's comments will provide Browns fans a chance to re-examine how they treat the NFL's most important position.

I take issue with this statement especially. There were two QB’s who did well for Cleveland, that created over-the-top infatuation in Sipe and Kosar.

I really beleive this guy is dead on. I know this board has some pretty good fans but if you talk to anybody else at work or whatever, they are incredibly ignorant about the Browns and football in general. A lot of them were on this board last year around training camp honking Quinnie. If you need any proof, just listen to ANY talk show on WKNR. The hosts, and the fans they let through are just mind boggling stupid. I mean, I went to training camp a few times last year and watched Quinn throw the ball in the dirt 25 times and throw picks but they all kept there comments as ambiguous-sp? as possible. I even saw DA throw an int while rolling out to where we were sitting. He was visibly upset about it as he should have been and a bunch of fans saw it as their chance to yell "yeah good job you bum! Pack your bags DA!"

WTF?!?!?!?!? its practice, it's your team! Not to mention when Brady did the same thing, he got a bunch of "you'll get em next time Brady!" Sad, sad reality.

Most fans, like my mother and step-father, scream and cry all year about some backup RB, WR, QB, LB, CB not getting on the field. You wanna know why? So that one day, due to injury, their guy gets on the field and intercepts a tipped ball, gets a sack on a 3rd and 15, or catches a 4 yard slant for a TD and they can say "I knew it! I knew it! Where has he been all this time! I knew it!" Only to have that player sat down when the starter returns and get cut in the offseason. That my friends is a Browns fan.

I really beleive this guy is dead on. I know this board has some pretty good fans but if you talk to anybody else at work or whatever, they are incredibly ignorant about the Browns and football in general. A lot of them were on this board last year around training camp honking Quinnie. If you need any proof, just listen to ANY talk show on WKNR. The hosts, and the fans they let through are just mind boggling stupid. I mean, I went to training camp a few times last year and watched Quinn throw the ball in the dirt 25 times and throw picks but they all kept there comments as ambiguous-sp? as possible. I even saw DA throw an int while rolling out to where we were sitting. He was visibly upset about it as he should have been and a bunch of fans saw it as their chance to yell "yeah good job you bum! Pack your bags DA!"

WTF?!?!?!?!? its practice, it's your team! Not to mention when Brady did the same thing, he got a bunch of "you'll get em next time Brady!" Sad, sad reality.

Most fans, like my mother and step-father, scream and cry all year about some backup RB, WR, QB, LB, CB not getting on the field. You wanna know why? So that one day, due to injury, their guy gets on the field and intercepts a tipped ball, gets a sack on a 3rd and 15, or catches a 4 yard slant for a TD and they can say "I knew it! I knew it! Where has he been all this time! I knew it!" Only to have that player sat down when the starter returns and get cut in the offseason. That my friends is a Browns fan.

You all must have missed the 70's and 80's when every Browns fan had a crush on Sipe and Kosar

i agree with most of this. the browns fans that i work with are already writing off seneca wallace. i suggested that they youtube him and compare his stats with what we have as of now before writing him off.

but, in all honesty, i can stand these people more than i can stand the troy smith cult. that shit absolutely kills me.

If anybody gives Pittsburgh any kind of credit needs to find new work. Its easy to win when you have the refs in your pocket. By the way Im so happy we have Mike as team president. If anybody has a bunch of hate for Pittsburgh it has to be him. Super bowl 40 says it all

I don't see what he said as being dramatically wrong. I suppose he's asking you to look in the mirror but the only thing I would argue with you about is the idea that the media is supposed to be "unbiased". The media is never really unbiased in any form. A good journalist however, will understand this fact and that the public views him this way. A good journalist won't deny an inherent bias but he will make an extra effort on such account to report both points of view on an issue.

ESPN does cater specifically to New York and Boston markets but I don't see this entry as being a gross display of that. I don't get my sports news from ESPN in general (unless I can't help it).

Archived