THE BROWNS BOARD

R.I.P. Merlin Olsen

Hall of Fame lineman Olsen dies

Merlin Olsen, a Pro Football Hall of Fame defensive lineman who was part of the Los Angeles Rams' famed "Fearsome Foursome" of the 1960s, has died after a lengthy battle with cancer. He was 69.

Olsen, who was diagnosed with mesothelioma last year and had been undergoing chemotherapy, died Wednesday night, the Cache Valley Daily of Utah reported.

A Utah native, Olsen attended Utah State and, in his senior year with the Aggies, won the Outland Trophy as the nation's top interior defensive lineman.

Olsen was selected to 14 Pro Bowls and was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1982.

Following his retirement from the game, Olsen flourished as a television actor, appearing regularly on "Little House on the Prairie" in the 1970s and later in the lead role of "Father Murphy."

Olsen was part of the Rams' defensive line famously known as the "Fearsome Foursome" along with Roosevelt Grier, Deacon Jones and Lamar Lundy. Jones also is a member of the Hall of Fame.

Damn.

mesothelioma Is from exposure to asbestos..... seems a little odd?

The cancer can take years(decades) after exposure to develop.

All people his age were exposed to the stuff.

In my elementary school the heat was by steam. The pipes around the radiators were wrapped with the stuff...we would pokes holes in the outer wrap, then flip it with our finger because we thought it was cool to see the white power that came out like puffs of smoke.

Anybody over the age of 45 or so has been exposed to a lot of the stuff over the years.

Break pads were made of it up until maybe 20 years ago. Anybody who maybe worked on their car and changed pads has breathed in a lot of asbestos dust....

A great player, exellent human being. Tougher than nails, but played the game with an integrity.

He refused to cheap shot, or cut corners to being a great player.

That's sad, ... he was respected everywhere, highly.

God Bless, Merlin.

A great player, exellent human being. Tougher than nails, but played the game with an integrity.

He refused to cheap shot, or cut corners to being a great player.

That's sad, ... he was respected everywhere, highly.

God Bless, Merlin.

I'll have to send some flowers FTD to my sister in Montgomery.....he was a FTD pitchman for a good number of years.

R.I.P. Merlin

Archived