THE BROWNS BOARD

The Rules for Drafting A QB

Earl34

Whenever I see a quote from Bill Parcells, I always pause because I find him both intelligent and amusing. Over the years, people have referred to his "Rules for Drafting a QB" which I found referenced here. As it was written in the blog...

1) He must be a senior. (Bill’s not known for his patience and, usually, the younger the QB, the more time he takes to properly master the job).

2) He must be a graduate. (Hey, if you’re paying your guy a lot of money and he’s going to handle the ball on every offensive play, he’d better not be a quitter. Rather, you want someone who takes his responsibilities seriously, e.g. no blowing off the spring semester to get ready for the combines).

3) He must be a three-year starter. (Once again, a lot of dough, as well as a good portion of the game plan, goes to this guy and it would be awful to get stuck with a “flash-in-the-pan,” someone who waited, got his opportunity but what was overlooked, was that he took over a veteran team that only needed someone to keep a ship from sinking, not one to direct it to the shore).

4) He must have at least 23 wins. (It’s too easy to put up big numbers with a losing team who chucks it 50 times a game).

It's worth noting that of the seven quarterbacks to win a Super Bowl in the 2000s, five — Drew Brees, Ben Roethlisberger, Eli Manning, Peyton Manning and Trent Dilfer — met all four requirements when drafted. That would disqualify Bradford, Clausen, Pike and Snead (if you are to stick to these rules). Your draft would then start with Tebow, McCoy and Lefevour. I wonder if the Tuna would be happy with that or he'd make an exception this year.

Of course, these are in addition to the "11 Commandments" he gave to Tony Romo:

Quarterback commandments:

1. Ignore other opinions – Press or TV, agents or advisors, family or wives, friends or relatives, fans or hangers on – ignore them on matters of football, they don’t know what’s happening here.

2. Clowns can’t run a huddle – don’t forget to have fun but don’t be the class clown. Clowns and leaders don’t mix. Clowns can’t run a huddle.

3. Fat QBs can’t avoid the rush – A quarterback throws with his legs more than his arm. Squat and run.

4. Know your job cold – this is not a game without errors. Keep yours to a minimum. Study.

5. Know your own players – Who’s fast? Who can catch? Who needs encouragement? Be precise. Know your opponent.

6. Be the same guy every day – in condition. Preparing to lead. Studying your plan. A coach can’t prepare you for every eventuality. Prepare yourself and remember, impulse decisions usually equal mistakes.

7. Throwing the ball away is a good play – sacks, interceptions and fumbles are bad plays. Protect against those.

8. Learn to manage the game – personnel, play call, motions, ball handling, proper reads, accurate throws, play fakes. Clock. Clock. Clock. Don’t you ever lose track of the clock.

9. Get your team in the end zone – passing stats and TD passes are not how you’re going to be judged. Your job is to get your team in the end zone and that is how you will be judged.

10. Don’t panic – when all around you is in chaos, you must be the hand that steers the ship. If you have a panic button so will everyone else. Our ship can’t have a panic button.

11. Don’t be a celebrity QB – we don’t need any of those. We need battlefield commanders that are willing to fight it out, every day, every week and every season and lead their team to win after win after win.

I don't know about Tebow but if McCoy drops (and I believe he will) I wouldn't be surprised to see Parcells spend a pick. It's not like he needs him to start right away. He might just develop and sell him. Tebow and McCoy will probably go to teams that don't need help immediately. Look for an established team.

I don't know about Tebow but if McCoy drops (and I believe he will) I wouldn't be surprised to see Parcells spend a pick. It's not like he needs him to start right away. He might just develop and sell him. Tebow and McCoy will probably go to teams that don't need help immediately. Look for an established team.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Holmgren take McCoy in the 2nd round should he drop so far.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Holmgren take McCoy in the 2nd round should he drop so far.

I love that criteria. Parcells is the man. That is why I would only like to see Tebow or Lafevour drafted by the Browns. And of course I would want to see them drafted without us reaching for one of them.

Well, I just saw one thing that may sway the Browns on Bradford- he scored really high on the Wonderlich- like 36. Obviously he could have graduated if he had decided to stick around for his seinior season. OTOH, being really smart hasn't exactly helped Alex Smith much in SF.

Well, I just saw one thing that may sway the Browns on Bradford- he scored really high on the Wonderlich- like 36. Obviously he could have graduated if he had decided to stick around for his seinior season. OTOH, being really smart hasn't exactly helped Alex Smith much in SF.

all of a sudden everyone is high on bradford......having him going #1 in most mock drafts. man that shoulder thing would have me shying away. tebow is a warrior but mccoy to me is the opposite. if the browns draft anyone of those mentioned above i hope it's lefevour.

Archived