THE BROWNS BOARD

Which QB Should the Browns Choose?

TheClevelandSound

We really need to address LB, DB, or WR in the 1st and 2nd. I like Tony Pike in the 3rd. Big kid, big arm and he is a guy who can see the field and the game. He'll be a good value pick in the 3rd. With Pool and Wimbley gone and no real threat to catch the ball aside from Watson (sorry Stuckey) I feel those are our big needs. I've often thought Berry might give Rob Ryan some "gambling" room in secondary although I know safeties usually don't go that high. But he's a football player that can be a game changer much like Polamalu has been for Lebeau and the Steelers.

I think that we will wind up with one of these guys but the issue is that they aren't really one group. Like it or not, the one group is just Bradford and Clausen cause no way they're falling out of the top 10. If Holmgren values those guys over the rest then he'll try to make a move to get one. I don't see it happening because he'd have to give up quite a bit to move up and I think we're going to need the numbers that those draft picks all provide.

With regard to the rest of those guys, Tebow is at the bottom of that list. Of the remaining three, I wouldn't mind any of the three. I'm a Texas homer so my heart says McCoy (and I wouldn't think twice) but I am going to go with Tony Pike. His size is excellent and his arm strength very good. His upside given that he hasn't played a ton of football is great.

1. Sam Bradford

2. Tony Pike

3. Tim Tebow

4. Jimmy Clausen

5. Colt McCoy

6. Dan Lefevour

Please state your reasoning.

I'd have to think unless someone has a precipitous fall - like LeFevour falling into the 4th or 5th - I think the answer probably isn't on the list. Jarrett Brown - maybe - but probably not. I think the Browns might take a flier on Jevan Sneed, Sean Canfield, Bill Stull, etc. if they're bouncing around in the 5th or 6th.

I'm just not a Sam Bradford guy. The next spread quarterback that is worth a top 10 pick will be the first.

By the looks of it, you've got a much better quarterback class coming out in 2011: Locker, Devlin, Mallett, Stanzi, the kid from Nevada, among others.

-jj

now that Quinn is gone, id go with Bradford all the way, if Quinn was still here then I'd have used the high pick for something else.

I've watched a few UW football games and wasn't impressed with Locker the same way I'm impressed with Bradford, I think Bradford just amazing accuracy as well as great decision making, and will translate into the pros quite well. the only concern of course is whether his body frame can withstand hard hits, but it's a good thing we have good protection.

1. Sam Bradford

2. Tony Pike

3. Tim Tebow

4. Jimmy Clausen

5. Colt McCoy

6. Dan Lefevour

1. Tony Pike

2. Jarrett Brown

3. John Skelton

4. Daryll Clark

5. Billy Cundiff

Sorry these are all project to career back-up guys. But they are cheap and have huge upsides and can get them in later rounds

But then again so are McCoy Clausen and Tebow. There is no real starter besides Bradford and he is like buying a brand new car with a flat tire. Not worth it for first round.

No tebow, no tebow, no tebow I will burn not give a way my season tickets on the 50 if we waste a 7th on tebow

1. Sam Bradford

2. Tony Pike

3. Tim Tebow

4. Jimmy Clausen

5. Colt McCoy

6. Dan Lefevour

My pick threw at the combine. My pick prepared for combine by working with Jerry Rhome. My pick showed that he is very coachable.Good size, big arm,played a pro style offence in a tough coference. My pick in 3 rd round Jevon Snead.

1. Sam Bradford

2. Tony Pike

3. Tim Tebow

4. Jimmy Clausen

5. Colt McCoy

6. Dan Lefevour

If we don't have to move up, I would potentially consider Bradford at the #1.

I do not want Clausen, McCoy or Lefevour.

If we choose to wait till the 2nd or 3rd round, I'd take a flier on Pike before Tebow, but wouldn't be upset at Tebow for a 3rd or 4th rounder as long as he's doing well at changing his throwing motion.

But ultimately, I'm not sure I want a 1st round QB, as I'd rather Hayden or Pierre-Paul

If Tebow's available in the 3rd round, I'd say we use one of our three picks to get him. I don't see why so many people would be against signing this guy.

Unless his throwing motion changes dramatically and he skyrockets up the draft chart, I don't see him going higher than 3rd.

Otherwise Colt would be a nice addition.

We won't get Bradford or Clausen at #7, but in a fantasy world this would be the best pick. Any other QB at that spot would probably be a reach, so in my opinion they should probably draft the best player available at 7 and go for a developmental QB like The Fever or McCoy in the early-mid rounds. The Browns aren't going to be a contender next year anyway, so this project QB can develop while Delhomme/Wallace starts. They should stay away from Tim Tebow altogether, unless he's still there in the 4th or 5th round.

We won't get Bradford or Clausen at #7, but in a fantasy world this would be the best pick. Any other QB at that spot would probably be a reach, so in my opinion they should probably draft the best player available at 7 and go for a developmental QB like The Fever or McCoy in the early-mid rounds. The Browns aren't going to be a contender next year anyway, so this project QB can develop while Delhomme/Wallace starts. They should stay away from Tim Tebow altogether, unless he's still there in the 4th or 5th round.

You actually think that both Bradford and Clausen will be drafted before #7?

It is conceivable that both will drop (I find this more likely than your opinion).

but then you never know what some teams will do. It is conceivable also that Washington will want the best QB available at the #6 spot.

I'd have to think unless someone has a precipitous fall - like LeFevour falling into the 4th or 5th - I think the answer probably isn't on the list. Jarrett Brown - maybe - but probably not. I think the Browns might take a flier on Jevan Sneed, Sean Canfield, Bill Stull, etc. if they're bouncing around in the 5th or 6th.

I'm just not a Sam Bradford guy. The next spread quarterback that is worth a top 10 pick will be the first.

By the looks of it, you've got a much better quarterback class coming out in 2011: Locker, Devlin, Mallett, Stanzi, the kid from Nevada, among others.

-jj

Yeah, I'm mostly in Camp "wait until next year".

Good points JJ. Anybody remember Dave Kingler? That said if Bradford is there at #7 (he won't be) very tough decision for the Browns- the kid is really smart 36 Wunderlich. And the X factor is the injury reports.

Clausen? We're not going to the ND well twice in a row after our bad experience with BQ.

McCoy? Depends how far he falls- low second, we have plenty of ammunition to move up.

After that, I'll take Pike or LeFevour. BTW, if Snead was the same guy I saw at the Senior Bowl, he did look pretty good.

I think there is an awful lot of homerism on Pike, I watched some Cinci games and he didn't look accurate at all. I think he was pulled in the bowl game for the backup QB. I say skip him, I'd take Tebow in the 2 round or lower if we are going to take a QB at all. He was one of the most winningest QB's in college football history. So what if you don't like his throwing style, I'm a much bigger fan of winning, and that kid wins, period.

I guess is Bradford or McCoy or Clausen are still around in the 2nd round, I'd jump on one of them, or possibly package up a 2nd and 3rd to move up at the end of the first to pick up one. Either way, Holgrem knows more football then anyone on this board, so even though I question his latest moves, as a season-ticket holder, I have to trust he knows what he's doing. If that means Jevon Snead at #7, I've got to support it.

i think the most important position(s) issue on the team is the defensive backfield. use our #7 to get haden or berry. then, if you have to, bundle some picks to move up some notches from our next pick to land the qb you like. i say stay pat if you can and see who's there without moving. hopefully lefevour and pike will be there. don't know too much about the other guys in this lower rung but i do know trading up is a bad idea and so is using our 7th on a qb.

I would go for Bradford, then use management judgement on Pike and Lefevour(if it is round three), then Claussen or McCoy , and then Tebow if mgt thinks he can become a real QB.

Daryl Clark is not franchise QB material

i think the most important position(s) issue on the team is the defensive backfield. use our #7 to get haden or berry. then, if you have to, bundle some picks to move up some notches from our next pick to land the qb you like. i say stay pat if you can and see who's there without moving. hopefully lefevour and pike will be there. don't know too much about the other guys in this lower rung but i do know trading up is a bad idea and so is using our 7th on a qb.

I guess your logo is Otto Graham???

We really need to address LB, DB, or WR in the 1st and 2nd. I like Tony Pike in the 3rd. Big kid, big arm and he is a guy who can see the field and the game. He'll be a good value pick in the 3rd. With Pool and Wimbley gone and no real threat to catch the ball aside from Watson (sorry Stuckey) I feel those are our big needs. I've often thought Berry might give Rob Ryan some "gambling" room in secondary although I know safeties usually don't go that high. But he's a football player that can be a game changer much like Polamalu has been for Lebeau and the Steelers.

I agree wich chew. If we have a first rate defense, and a first rate offensive line, and a first rate running game, and first rate receivers we could throw just about any mook in there at QB and be a SB contender.

That is what the Redskins did when they had Mark Rypien QB them to a SB title. It is what Tampa did when Brad Johnson QBed their Super Bowl winner, it is what the Ravens did the year they won (they didn't even turn to Dilfer until the middle of the season), and that is what the Steelers did when they had a raw 2d year guy take them to a title.

And some Super Bowl losers had their share of mooks: Rex Grossman? Rich Gannon? Chris Chandler? Jake Delhomme!!!!

Archived