THE BROWNS BOARD

Tebow Pro Day

kosar_win

Story below. Of note: both Mangini and Holmgren were present. Smoke and Mirrors?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft10/news/story?id=5003533

On the heels of an impressive workout at Florida's pro day, league sources say that Tim Tebow is among those players who have been invited to New York for the NFL draft April 22-24.

Tebow, who unveiled his new throwing motion for scouts, coaches and general managers in his workout, has accepted the invitation from the league, according to an official. Two NFL personnel men told ESPN that Tebow's workout on Wednesday boded well for the Gators quarterback, especially with those teams that were considering him as a high draft prospect.

The league did not release the entire list of players invited, though it is expected to include at least four quarterbacks -- Tebow, Oklahoma's Sam Bradford, Notre Dame's Jimmy Clausen and Texas' Colt McCoy.

The league traditionally invites players who are projected to go in the first round. A league official said that even though Tebow could be a first-round selection, the new three-day draft format also motivated the NFL to double its invitation list from nine players in 2009 to 18 at next month's draft.

The new draft format will conduct the first round only on April 22, a Thursday night, and the second round only on the next night. The final four rounds will be conducted on Saturday.

Tebow threw dozens of passes to former teammates Riley Cooper, Aaron Hernandez and David Nelson during a 30-minute workout.

Carolina Panthers coach John Fox, Cleveland Browns coach Eric Mangini, Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin, New York Giants coach Tom Coughlin and Tampa Bay Buccaneers Raheem Morris were in attendance. So were Jacksonville Jaguars general manager Gene Smith and Browns president Mike Holmgren.

About 3,000 fans showed up despite light rain. They cheered loudly as Tebow walked onto Florida Field for the first time since his home finale in November and applauded every completion.

Chris Mortensen is a senior NFL analyst for ESPN. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Or we could be there to watch a guy that is slated in a bunch of mock drafts to be drated at #7 by us....hello Mr. Haden

Haha - good point. Hopefully this is the case. I don't think the Browns can afford a project like Tebow. I think he's one hell of an competitor and would like to see him succeed at the next level (no one can say his passion doesn't translate into great football). But I don't think he should wear the Brown and Orange.

Was thinking the same thing. I was thinking sure we're not gonna, not look at Tebow, but I would say our eyes were more on Haden. Also we could be looking at Aaron Hernandez, Riley Cooper and Brandon Spikes, like all of them could be said to be needs for us...

Of course. We were there to see Haden and the guys you mention...."The Messiah" was more of a spiritual journey. Perhaps they collected some of his tears in an amulet to sprinkle on the 50-yard line to bring some luck.

In fairness, i will post up these stats....the others seemed too good, so i went to another source. Just the same, i contend people who say he isn't accurate are either simple or they have a ax to grind.

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/cviewpla...sp?Player=63004

zzzzzz....znoorrk. Uh, Ok, wake me up when Tebow is drafted by someone else so we can quit worrying about him.

I am just responding to a thread of interest just as I don't respond to threads I find boring.

In fairness, i will post up these stats....the others seemed too good, so i went to another source. Just the same, i contend people who say he isn't accurate are either simple or they have a ax to grind.

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/cviewpla...sp?Player=63004

Peen, I don't have a problem with Tebow as an accurate college QB. He's within five percent of Bradford (68%) and McCoy (71%). He's about the same as Clausen (mid 60s). You could argue that McCoy's percentage was largely a result of the system which allowed many short throws.

The problem I have with Tebow is the delivery. If he's got time to throw, for God's sakes, time him with a sun dial. In the NFL though (as we know) he's going to have to be more compact. While I do see the difference in the video from his pro day the consensus is that towards the end when he was tiring, he started to revert back to his old mechanics (see Leftwich, Byron). I've heard Jim Miller and Rich Gannon both state that he's at LEAST a three year project and Miller said that if this was somebody other than Tebow, he'd be a sixth round pick because changing a QB from the waist up is extremely difficult if not close to impossible.

That said, I've mellowed a bit on Tebow. I don't like the in-your-face-home-school-Uber-Christian schtick but I'm a bit more private in my spirituality. I think he's a strong worker and I think people tend to like him. I think that can be said for Bradford and McCoy too who were very popular with their coaches and teammates for their leadership.

Peen, I don't have a problem with Tebow as an accurate college QB. He's within five percent of Bradford (68%) and McCoy (71%). He's about the same as Clausen (mid 60s). You could argue that McCoy's percentage was largely a result of the system which allowed many short throws.

The problem I have with Tebow is the delivery. If he's got time to throw, for God's sakes, time him with a sun dial. In the NFL though (as we know) he's going to have to be more compact. While I do see the difference in the video from his pro day the consensus is that towards the end when he was tiring, he started to revert back to his old mechanics (see Leftwich, Byron). I've heard Jim Miller and Rich Gannon both state that he's at LEAST a three year project and Miller said that if this was somebody other than Tebow, he'd be a sixth round pick because changing a QB from the waist up is extremely difficult if not close to impossible.

That said, I've mellowed a bit on Tebow. I don't like the in-your-face-home-school-Uber-Christian schtick but I'm a bit more private in my spirituality. I think he's a strong worker and I think people tend to like him. I think that can be said for Bradford and McCoy too who were very popular with their coaches and teammates for their leadership.

his throwing motion isnt the same its alot faster now

his throwing motion isnt the same its alot faster now

as I alluded to here...

While I do see the difference in the video from his pro day the consensus is that towards the end when he was tiring, he started to revert back to his old mechanics (see Leftwich, Byron)

Please read the post before replying.

except you were wrong

which he never went back to his old motion

That wasn't what was said on NFL Radio. They said that he looked impressive (which I agree from what I saw) but that towards the end of the session the ball position was starting to drop back to his old form. I don't have that in a quote so I apologize but it was mentioned. When this guy gets tired or when he's in a real game it's a legitimate question to ask if he'll subconsciously revert back to the way he's always thrown.

I was a Tebow hater but I liked what I saw. I don't want to knock the guy. I am just saying that it was commented.

Or we could be there to watch a guy that is slated in a bunch of mock drafts to be drated at #7 by us....hello Mr. Haden

Thanks to that link, saw Hayden ran a low 4.4 at the Pro Day. He's our pick. Anyone that takes Tebow in the top 10 is nuts.

Archived