THE BROWNS BOARD

FYI-John Stossel

ruban

Hello all, in case you are interested, John Stossel is doing a special tonight at 8:00 on Fox business network called "Mistake on the Lake". And to all you trolls out there, no its not about the browns.

Its about how the gov. messed Cleveland up or something. enjoy!

Hello all, in case you are interested, John Stossel is doing a special tonight at 8:00 on Fox business network called "Mistake on the Lake". And to all you trolls out there, no its not about the browns.

FYI, the "Mistake on the Lake" only ever meant the old Cleveland Municipal Stadium.

If you think you are being cute or something, note that that Stadium was given its name back in the 30s for the reason that it was originally built in an attempt to bring the Summer Olympics to Cleveland. The games were not awarded to Cleveland, but instead I believe went to either Los Angeles for the 1932 games, or to Berlin for the 1936 games.

The theory being that it was a "mistake" to have built it without being successfully awarded the Olympics.

But, as we know, the city got plenty of use out of that old building from being the home of the Indians for about 60 years and to the Browns for about 50 years and to the Cleveland Rams before that. It was the home of the World Series of Rock with acts like The Rolling Stones; Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young, Pink Floyd etc. And it was the home of the Original Concert for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Two World Series were played there, 1948 and 1954. Six NFL Championships:

1945: Cleveland Rams vs Redskins

1950: Browns vs. LA Rams

1952: Browns vs. Lions

1954: Browns vs. Lions

1964: Browns vs. Colts

1968: Browns vs. Colts ("NFL, not NFC title game won by Colts prior to losing to Jets in SB III)

Plus, who knows what all else may have happened there. Tractor Pulls, Motocross races, Ohio State played a few games there. Other college and high school games

By trolls do you mean you? I lived in Ne Ohio all my life (27 years) and I always thought that the term mistake on the lake refered to Cleveland in general. It's nice to learn something, thanks Gip.

In case you didn't know, Cleveland, Ohio was an official bidder for the Olympics on at least 2 occasions: for the 1916 and 1920 games. The attempt by Cleveland in the 30s when Muni Stadium was built was never accepted by the USOC so Cleveland never became an official bidder at that point.

But, also FYI Detroit, Michigan was an official Olympic bid city for the games that occurred in all the following years:

1944, 1952, 1956, 1960, 1964, 1968, 1972. Detroit was never successful in getting the games. That city holds the record for most bids without ever getting the games.

Including Cleveland and Detroit, at one time the following cities were official bidders for the Summer games: St. Louis, Chicago, Atlanta, Philadelphia, Los Angeles, Minneapolis, Baltimore, San Francisco, New York. As you may be aware, Atlanta(1996), LA (twice, 1932 and 1984), and St. Louis(1904) were winning bidders.

Also, unlike now, early on in the Olympics you could have more than one city from a country be a bidder, e.g in 1952 5 US cities were bidders, Chicago, Detroit, Minneapolis, LA, and Philly, along with Amsterdam and Helsinki. The IOC ignored all the US bids and gave the games to Helsinki. Now, a country may only submit one city as a candidate.

FYI, the next summer games up for bid are for the 2020 games. That selection will be made sometime in 2013. The USOC has said that it doesn't think that after all the money that was spent by New York in its bid for the 2012 games and Chicago for the 2016 bid where 80 million was spent that a US city will bid for the 2020 games. However, word is that Dallas may be willing to put the money into the effort to get the games, and that Jerry Jones would like nothing better than to have a Summer Olympics game be staged in his palace. (Since the major US oil cartel is based in Dallas, they may as well put some of that money they are soaking us for to good use.)

By trolls do you mean you? I lived in Ne Ohio all my life (27 years) and I always thought that the term mistake on the lake refered to Cleveland in general. It's nice to learn something, thanks Gip.

Nope, though I am sure certain naysayers, haters, etc. whatever you want to call them have extrapolated the name to generally mean the city itself. But then, that could apply to any city on a lake: Chicago, Toronto, Milwaukee, Toledo, Erie, Sandusky, whatever. No, it originally was just the stadium because of its big, barn like atmosphere.

BEETLEJUICE!

Archived