THE BROWNS BOARD

Lerner absent from owner meetings

CLEVELandMILIDH

Holmgren takes Lerner’s Place at Owners Meeting….

Posted by Randy Ward on March 22nd, 2010 in Main, News

The NFL Owners meeting is taking place and Randy Lerner is not attending. In his place the “Big Show” is representing the Cleveland Browns. Mike Holmgren is making his stamp on this organization as each day passes bringing players in or representing this organization in meetings. Holmgren has a tall task at hand to try bring the Cleveland Browns back to a Championship team. Holmgren has been very busy since taking over as the main man in Cleveland and still has a lot of work to do with the Draft coming up. Holmgren has been quoted in saying that he wished he liked the Quarterback from Notre Dame more then he does. What would the fan reaction be if Holmgren drafted Clausen after trading Quinn? After his first session in the meetings Holmgren said it is very interesting in the meetings. The NFL owners Meetings should let us know about the Prime Time games the first weekend and also the overtime rule. Go Browns!!! Destination Super Bowl!!!!!

He must be busy playing kick ball.

This is disgusting.

Mr T, I wish he had NOTHING to do with our brand of football over here. I hate Aston Villa and all their fans - especially when I see some of them wearing Browns football shirts. I do not think it is healthy to abdicate complete responsibility of an NFL team - he is a ghost. He should have been at the owner's meeting no matter what anyone says.

I hope Aston Villa crash and burn and he loses interest and gives up his ownership. I can't tell you how it breaks my heart to see those Johnny come lately Villa fans wearing browns shirts knowing nothing about the game / club / history / Cleveland.

He must be busy playing kick ball.

This is disgusting.

Why??

It would be disgusting if we didn't have anyone there.

I am sure each owner is sent a copy of the meeting minutes covering the main talking points, so it isn't like he doesn't, or won't know what is going on..

If votes are to be taken, I am sure Lerner will be there, or at minimum let his representative know how to vote.

Being front and center doesn't make a owner good just as remaining in the background doesn't make one bad.

Lerner didn't buy the team, his father did. He inherited the team. He may not even be a big football fan. Sending his top man to the meeting, who actually knows football is no big deal to me. That is why he is paying him the big $$$$.

My only concern with this is Holmgren is not going to be here forever, and we've seen Lerner doesn't make great decisions. So why not learn how to properly run the organizaton while you have are great football mind like Holmgren beside you. I'd feel better if Lerner at least accompanied Holmgren, and maybe learned a thing or two

We don't know WHY. Lerner may have had family responsibilities that he wouldn't bail on.

THAT I respect.

If I was Lerner, I'd send Holmgren in my place too !

I believe Holmgren is going to be here for a long time. No big deal.

Mr T, I wish he had NOTHING to do with our brand of football over here. I hate Aston Villa and all their fans - especially when I see some of them wearing Browns football shirts. I do not think it is healthy to abdicate complete responsibility of an NFL team - he is a ghost. He should have been at the owner's meeting no matter what anyone says.

I hope Aston Villa crash and burn and he loses interest and gives up his ownership. I can't tell you how it breaks my heart to see those Johnny come lately Villa fans wearing browns shirts knowing nothing about the game / club / history / Cleveland.

If it is any consolation to you Howie, I don't recall ever seeing any Browns fans wearing Aston Villa gear. Do you?

(and just out of curiosity, why do you "hate" Aston Villa? Or at least hate them more than you do any other English futbol club?)

Why??

It would be disgusting if we didn't have anyone there.

I am sure each owner is sent a copy of the meeting minutes covering the main talking points, so it isn't like he doesn't, or won't know what is going on..

If votes are to be taken, I am sure Lerner will be there, or at minimum let his representative know how to vote.

Being front and center doesn't make a owner good just as remaining in the background doesn't make one bad.

I am pretty certain that Holmgren probably has Lerner's cell phone number if something REALLY important comes up that Holmgren can't handle without Randy's input.

Im guessing there is people want Lerner as a hands on owner, No thanks!!!!! Just go ask Oakland what they think of their hands on owner!!!!

Although grammatically incorrect , I agree with your statement. It's just sad that it took 10 years to hire an actual "football mind" to run it for lil' Randy.

My only concern with this is Holmgren is not going to be here forever, and we've seen Lerner doesn't make great decisions. So why not learn how to properly run the organizaton while you have are great football mind like Holmgren beside you. I'd feel better if Lerner at least accompanied Holmgren, and maybe learned a thing or two

I suspect that if for some reason Holmgren were to be gone, Lerner will have resigned himself to hire someone similar to Holmgren's capabilities to run the team. I don't believe Holmgren was the only candidate for his CZar job.

As bad as i hate to say it randy attending ownership meetings is meaningless and fruitless he isnt a football man and im liking the fact that holmy is the complete face of the team...i think much higher of mr lerner for doing the right thing and giving everything but the ownership title and papers over to a guy that does understand the game..

In my mind this gives the browns an unprecedented status in the modern nfl and for the fans something we havent seen since the likes of the paul brown days and now lets watch and see what happens over time...;)

i'd rather have holmgren there anyways. what does lerner know about american football? nothing. that we know already know. i'm guessing the only thing holmgren can't do is write the checks, but i'm sure if there's something he wants bad enough he can jump up and down and throw a tantrum and randy will open the vault.

as far as other people wearing browns jerseys: i think it's great. anything to spread the word about our historic american football team. hey, they might not know squat about it but that would make us even.

If it works out as we hope, it would be logical that Heckert would take on full responsibilities.

Holmgren is here to set the blue print and why he is making it a point to say it just isn't him making decisions.

Unless the guy drops of a heart attack, it isn't out of the question he could remain in this capacity for 10 years or more.

I am pretty certain that Holmgren probably has Lerner's cell phone number if something REALLY important comes up that Holmgren can't handle without Randy's input.

Hmmmmm...interesting concept .... Holmgren has Lerners cell phone number.....I guess that makes it easy to call the boss and get input if needed.

Brilliant! ;)

Modell was a hands on owner and look what that got us.

He wanted David to inherit the team. If that could have happened I'm glad they moved to Baltimore.

I would much rather have Holmgren there. I at least beleve he is a true football leader and what the Browns have needed for the last 30 years.

Perhaps these are the sentiments you agree with:

That is just to funny.

But I do agree with some of you that we are better off having Holmgren there. I believe he has a better understanding of the game.

That is just to funny.

But I do agree with some of you that we are better off having Holmgren there. I believe he has a better understanding of the game.

I have never figured out how to get these YouTube things to show up here, so I have just used the links. Thanks.

I have never figured out how to get these YouTube things to show up here, so I have just used the links. Thanks.

[ ] youtube inside brackets

after brackets, copy and paste the code after the 'V=" on the youtube link

After the copy and paste [/] youtube after the slash and before the last bracket

I think when Holmgren went in for interviews last season he told Lerner he wouldn't work in the position he now has for an owner that would step in and make hands on decisions on any of the day to day stuff, maybe even told Lerner that there's a perception he had too much say in who plays and who doesn't. I think that's why we didn't see Lerner at any of the last 4 games before Holmgren "made his decision". Lerner not showing up to the owner meetings is a surprise though, maybe he's signaling to Holmgren that he's really supporting any decisions he makes at this point.

Archived