THE BROWNS BOARD

Guys Who the Browns May Move Picks For

marqui

These areas, as well as depth on the offensive and defensive lines, could be areas that the Browns target to use some of their draft picks to acquire talented veterans.

Restricted Free Agents the Browns could be after:

Tramon Williams, CB, Green Bay : Williams is 5’-11” and performed pretty well as the starting corner opposite Charles Woodson last season.

He had four interceptions and 55 tackles for the Packers defense, and would be a huge upgrade opposite Eric Wright on the Browns defense.

The Browns may be able to get Williams for a third round pick in this draft, and if they are not sold on Joe Haden or Kyle Wilson, look for them to acquire the 27-year-old.

O.J. Atogwe, S, St. Louis: Signing Atogwe would come at a high cost, financially, for the Browns. He is rumored to be seeking around $7 million per season. The snag in the deal is that the Rams gave him the lowest tender of a restricted free-agent, which is the right-of-first-refusal tender.

Atogwe would come at a high price and probably a third or fourth round draft pick, but his knack for making the big play just may be worth it.

Justin Smiley, G, Miami : Smiley was just recently placed on the trading block by the Dolphins after they signed Richie Incognito from the Rams. With the recent loss of Rex Hadnot, the Browns now have a void on the right side of the line.

While Smiley has dealt with a few injuries, the majority of his career he has been a solid lineman for the Dolphins.

The current asking price has been stated to be anywhere from a third-round pick all the way to a sixth-round pick. If the Browns can acquire him, the 28-year-old Smiley would be a major upgrade to the right side of the line.

Rob Sims, G, Seattle: If Holmgren wants to get a guy he is familiar with, he can go for the 26 year old from Ohio State.

Sims has shown steady improvement every year in the league at the guard position, and like Smiley, would provide a huge upgrade to the right side of the Browns’ line.

Sims’ range is probably similar to Smiley’s (third-sixth) and he would be a better pick up than anyone the Browns could select in the draft.

Long-shot the Browns could make a play for:

Brandon Marshall, WR, Denver: This one is probably a long shot, but he is the best available WR on the trade market. He has a history of character issues, but that is mainly because he wants out of Denver and they won’t trade him.

The Browns’ recent history of trading Quinn to the Broncos for so little could mean that the two teams have an ability to work well together, especially since the Broncos would have to come down from their asking price of a first rounder for Marshall.

Would a package of Shaun Rogers and a third-round pick be something Denver could be interested in to bring Cleveland a true No. 1 receiver?

More likely to happen:

Trade up to select Colt McCoy: Mike Holmgren has not hidden his admiration for McCoy. And with a stockpile of draft picks, Holmgren has the arsenal to move into the bottom of the first round, or acquire an additional second round pick to get him.

Teams like the Patriots are always looking to move their first- and second-round picks in order to get more depth out of the draft and not be stuck with heavy financial burdens.

At this point all the fans can do is sit back and wait, but with “a couple combinations of trades pending” according to Mangini, the next month before the draft is going to keep Browns’ fans waiting around to see who Holmgren and Mangini bring to town next.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/368074-...efore-the-draft

You can also add Richard Marshall form CAR and Chris Cogong from Philly to the list.

I can't see us parting with a high pick for anybody honestly. I think its all going towards the draft unless we can collect an ungodly amount of day 1 picks.

I think I agree with getting proven talent if all it cost is low picks. If you go into the draft and get to the late rounds and the good guys are gone trade the pick. I feel sometimes guys need a change of cities to improve. If we continue to get the right mind set in the Berea with Mike, Tom, and Eric young vets could be huge for us.

I can't see us parting with a high pick for anybody honestly. I think its all going towards the draft unless we can collect an ungodly amount of day 1 picks.

I wouldn't mind using two 3rd rounders to pick up 2 proven veteran players over two unproven 3rd round rookies.

Most of the players mentioned still have 4-5 years(at least) of good football in them, and really, that is planning for the future about as far as can be planned.

If Atogwe has a low tender and the browns offer $5 million then why would the browns have to give up a 3rd round pick, wouldn't it be a fifth rounder? I guess I don't understand all of the rules, just asking

You have it right....we would owe a 5th rounder...the problem is the other team can match the offer...so we would need to offer much more.

Trade up to select Colt McCoy: Mike Holmgren has not hidden his admiration for McCoy. And with a stockpile of draft picks, Holmgren has the arsenal to move into the bottom of the first round, or acquire an additional second round pick to get him.

where is this bullshit coming from? show me where mike holmgren says he's in love with colt mccoy. bullshit.

where is this bullshit coming from? show me where mike holmgren says he's in love with colt mccoy. bullshit.

Its on EPSN Insoder and even Scout.com talked about it. Get off your lazy butt and look for it. Before making a @#$ out yourself.

Technically you are correct that Holmgrem has not commented publicly on Mccoy. But he must see something he likes if he is bringing in for a workout. Why would he waste his precious time on someone that he does not like?????

I would go for Rob Sims if it is only going to cost us a 3rd round pick.

His experience would make it worth the trade. Instead of having to train a 3rd round pick OG.

And solidify the offensive line for years to come. Then I would draft another lineman in with the other 3 just to add some rockin depth.

Archived