THE BROWNS BOARD

A Fun Fact for Each State

Mr. T

ALABAMA ... Was the first place to have 9-1-1, started in 1968.

ALASKA ... One out of every 64 people has a pilot's license.

ARIZONA ... Is the only state in the continental U.S. that doesn't follow Daylight Savings Time.

ARKANSAS ... Has the only active diamond mine in the U.S.

CALIFORNIA ... Its economy is so large that if it were a country, it would rank seventh in the entire world.

COLORADO ... In 1976, it became the only state to turn down the Olympics.

CONNECTICUT ... The Frisbee was invented here at Yale University .

DELAWARE ... Has more scientists and engineers than any other state.

FLORIDA .... At 759 square miles, Jacksonville is the U.S. ’s largest city.

GEORGIA ... It was here, in 1886, that pharmacist, John Pemberton, made the first vat of Coca-Cola.

HAWAII .. Hawaiians live, on average, five years longer than residents in any other state.

IDAHO ... TV was invented in Rigby, Idaho, in 1922.

ILLINOIS ... The Chicago River is dyed green every St.Patrick's Day.

INDIANA .... Home to Santa Claus, Indiana , which gets a half million letters to Santa every year.

IOWA ... Winnebagos get their name from Winnebago County . Also, it is the only state that begins with two vowels.

KANSAS ... Liberal, Kansas, has an exact replica of the house in The Wizard of Oz.

KENTUCKY ... Has more than $6 billion in gold underneath Fort Knox .?

LOUISIANA ... Has parishes instead of counties because they were originally Spanish church units.

MAINE ... It's so big, it covers as many square miles as the other five New England states combined.

MARYLAND ... The Ouija board was created in Baltimore in 1892.

MASSACHUSETTS ... The Fig Newton is named after Newton, Massachusetts .

MICHIGAN ... Fremont, home to Gerber, is the baby food capital of the world.

MINNESOTA ... Bloomington's Mall of America is so big, if you spent 10 minutes in each store, you'd be there nearly four days.

MISSISSIPPI ... President Teddy Roosevelt refused to shoot a bear here .... that's how the teddy bear got its name.

MISSOURI ... Is the birthplace of the ice cream cone.

MONTANA ... A sapphire from Montana is in the Crown Jewels of England ..

NEBRASKA ... More triplets are born here than in any other state.

NEW HAMPSHIRE ... Birthplace of Tupperware, invented in 1938 by Earl Tupper.

NEW JERSEY ... Has the most shopping malls in one area in the world.

NEW MEXICO ... Smokey the Bear was rescued from a 1950 forest fire here.

NEW YORK ... Is home to the nation's oldest cattle ranch, started in 1747 in Montauk.

NORTH CAROLINA ... Home of the first Krispy Kreme doughnut.

NORTH DAKOTA ... Rigby, North Dakota, is the exact geographic center of North America .

OHIO ... The hot dog was invented here in 1900.

OKLAHOMA ... The grounds of the state capitol are covered by operating oil wells.

OREGON ... Has the most ghost towns in the country.

PENNSYLVANIA ... It is required that a woman have a permit to wear cosmetics

RHODE ISLAND ... The nation's oldest bar, the White Horse Tavern, opened here in 1673

SOUTH CAROLINA ... Sumter County is home to the world's largest gingko farm.

SOUTH DAKOTA ... Is the only state that's never had an earthquake.

TENNESSEE ... Nashville 's Grand Ole Opry is the longest running live radio show in the world.

TEXAS ... Dr. Pepper was invented in Waco back in 1885.

UTAH ... The first Kentucky Fried Chicken restaurant opened here in 1952.

VERMONT ... Montpelier is the only state capitol without a McDonald’s.

VIRGINIA ... Home of the world's largest office building .... The Pentagon.

WASHINGTON ... Seattle has twice as many college graduates as any other state.

WASHINGTON D.C.... Was the first planned capitol in the world.

WEST VIRGINIA ... Had the world's first brick paved street, Summers Street, laid in Charleston in 1870.

WISCONSIN ... The ice cream sundae was invented here in 1881 to get around Blue Laws prohibiting ice cream from being sold on Sundays.

WYOMING ... Was the first state to allow women to vote.

I hope you enjoyed this. I found it interesting.

Here are my retorts on these, some legit, some snarky:

ALABAMA ... Was the first place to have 9-1-1, started in 1968.

Yea, but when help arrived it was Bubba and Buford in a donkey cart.

ALASKA ... One out of every 64 people has a pilot's license.

That is because there are only 4 freeking roads in the entire state. I know, I rode them all.

ARIZONA ... Is the only state in the continental U.S. that doesn't follow Daylight Savings Time.

Except in the one quarter of the state that is the Navajo reservation.

ARKANSAS ... Has the only active diamond mine in the U.S.

You don't count Mike Tyson's grill as a "mine"?

CALIFORNIA ... Its economy is so large that if it were a country, it would rank seventh in the entire world.

And you know who they have to thank for it?: The Beach Boys. Millions of guys immigrated there to chase what they thought were hoards of beach bunnies. (fyi, this is NOT one of the snarky comments....I believe this to be true.)

COLORADO ... In 1976, it became the only state to turn down the Olympics.

Yes, and now they are talking about wanting a second chance, and the IOC or USOC is likely to say F.U. to them.

CONNECTICUT ... The Frisbee was invented here at Yale University .

Was this before or after Yale invented locks and Hula Hoops?

DELAWARE ... Has more scientists and engineers than any other state.

I assume you mean per capita. Delaware is also the state responsible for the massive increase in credit card rates because of the 50 states, 48 had/have usury laws, but Delaware didn't, so all the credit card companies put their HQs in Delaware so they could rape pillage and plunder as much as they wished. And you know who one of the biggest of these was? None other than Al Lerner. (Look at your credit card statement, nearly all of them are in Delaware)

FLORIDA .... At 759 square miles, Jacksonville is the U.S. ’s largest city.

And I understand that Louisville KY is attempting to incorporate so much of the surrounding area so as to break this record.

GEORGIA ... It was here, in 1886, that pharmacist, John Pemberton, made the first vat of Coca-Cola.

Yes, using real cocaine. (I'm addicted.)

HAWAII .. Hawaiians live, on average, five years longer than residents in any other state.

With no winters and low humidity, who wouldn't live longer in paradise.

IDAHO ... TV was invented in Rigby, Idaho, in 1922.

But, the town still does not have cable!

ILLINOIS ... The Chicago River is dyed green every St.Patrick's Day.

And all those Chicagoans mistake it for green beer and drink it. Did you think they were all green around the gills from Guinness?

INDIANA .... Home to Santa Claus, Indiana , which gets a half million letters to Santa every year.

Except Santa ain't there. He is either in North Pole New York, or North Pole Alaska (both of which I have been to)

IOWA ... Winnebagos get their name from Winnebago County . Also, it is the only state that begins with two vowels.

IIIEEEOOOOOUUUUAAAAAH. Elvis's last words: Hmm, corn.

KANSAS ... Liberal, Kansas, has an exact replica of the house in The Wizard of Oz.

That ain't no replica dude. (and at least someone in Kansas got smart and went liberal.)

KENTUCKY ... Has more than $6 billion in gold underneath Fort Knox .?

You insert a question mark. You doubt it? I don't. I saw it all there ...in Goldfinger

LOUISIANA ... Has parishes instead of counties because they were originally Spanish church units.

And more clergy molestation per capita than any other state?

MAINE ... It's so big, it covers as many square miles as the other five New England states combined.

But it still isn't as big as Ohio. I mean, big is a bit relative, isn't it? The state song of Maine?: I'm a Lumberjack. Monty Python.

MARYLAND ... The Ouija board was created in Baltimore in 1892.

Yea? Was it that early that they predicted the Colts would move in the middle of the night in Mayflower moving vans? Or did Art Modell consult a Ouija board about making his move there?

MASSACHUSETTS ... The Fig Newton is named after Newton, Massachusetts .

OK, but who was Massachussets named after? And why do they use a fig leaf to cover up Eve's bowakawa pousse pousse?

MICHIGAN ... Fremont, home to Gerber, is the baby food capital of the world.

Two words: Muck Fichigan

MINNESOTA ... Bloomington's Mall of America is so big, if you spent 10 minutes in each store, you'd be there nearly four days.

I actually was there once, and spent about 10 minutes in the entire Mall. That was enough. The Mall in Edmonton was bigger, and better.

MISSISSIPPI ... President Teddy Roosevelt refused to shoot a bear here .... that's how the teddy bear got its name.

Yea, but he didn't have any compunction about shooting little rednecks from that state.

MISSOURI ... Is the birthplace of the ice cream cone.

Really? Prove it! (or, is the expression "Show me")

MONTANA ... A sapphire from Montana is in the Crown Jewels of England ..

I once got my family jewels crowned by a whore from Billings.

NEBRASKA ... More triplets are born here than in any other state.

And they all end up being 6'5" 320 pounds and playing offensive line for the Cornuskers.

NEW HAMPSHIRE ... Birthplace of Tupperware, invented in 1938 by Earl Tupper.

And they have made enough Tupperware to drain Lake Winnepesaukee!

NEW JERSEY ... Has the most shopping malls in one area in the world.

Uh, yo....in New Jersey, a Boardwalk Salt Water Taffy stand is considered a "Mall". Clearly a misleading statistic!

NEW MEXICO ... Smokey the Bear was rescued from a 1950 forest fire here.

Yes, and I have been to that museum. It is right next to the Trinity site where the first atomic bomb was exploded. What do you think caused the forest fire in the first place?

NEW YORK ... Is home to the nation's oldest cattle ranch, started in 1747 in Montauk.

NORTH CAROLINA ... Home of the first Krispy Kreme doughnut.

I would like to squirt some of my krispy kreme all on Jesse Helms grave

NORTH DAKOTA ... Rigby, North Dakota, is the exact geographic center of North America .

How many Rigby's are you gonna give credit to here? You forget Cathy Rigby and Eleanor Rigby? Well you know what they say in North Dakota: That's life in the vast lane.

OHIO ... The hot dog was invented here in 1900.

I got a hot dog for your bun. (I understand the Menches Brothers, from Ohio, also claim to have invented the hamburger. Any truth to that? I guess that makes us the fast food capital of the world)

OKLAHOMA ... The grounds of the state capitol are covered by operating oil wells.

Or is that just the state legislature pumping money out of their constituents pockets?

OREGON ... Has the most ghost towns in the country.

How were all these ghosts created? With a knife...or a gun? (yuk it up fuzzball)

PENNSYLVANIA ... It is required that a woman have a permit to wear cosmetics

RHODE ISLAND ... The nation's oldest bar, the White Horse Tavern, opened here in 1673

It also has the nation's oldest synagogue, the Touro Synagogue. Do you think they might be one and the same place?

SOUTH CAROLINA ... Sumter County is home to the world's largest gingko farm.

And on this gingko farm is the world's largest collection of gekkos who feed on the gingkos. You didn't know this? Did you think they actually kept cows in the Cowpens in SC?

SOUTH DAKOTA ... Is the only state that's never had an earthquake.

It is also that other state that does not have usury laws. I also hear there are some big headed people in that state.

TENNESSEE ... Nashville 's Grand Ole Opry is the longest running live radio show in the world.

And the original Grand Ole Opry location at the Ryman Theater (built as a church) is one of the most acoustically perfect buildings in the world.

TEXAS ... Dr. Pepper was invented in Waco back in 1885.

By the Branch Davidians?

UTAH ... The first Kentucky Fried Chicken restaurant opened here in 1952.

All y'all didn't know Colonel Sanders was a Mormon, didja? So? That is what is meant by the famous local phrase "This is the place!" ...for fried chicken.

VERMONT ... Montpelier is the only state capitol without a McDonald’s.

But....I bet it has a KFC, right?

VIRGINIA ... Home of the world's largest office building .... The Pentagon.

And everyone in that building lives by the prescripts of the Pentateuch, I surmise?

WASHINGTON ... Seattle has twice as many college graduates as any other state.

I assume you meant city, not state, and I also assume you meant per capita again.

Is there a correlation between the stat you quote and coffee consumption?

And did you know that in the original Starbucks logo it showed the girl with exposed boobs and nipples? Made me want to drink coffee

WASHINGTON D.C.... Was the first planned capitol in the world.

When are they going to plan for its obselescence?

WEST VIRGINIA ... Had the world's first brick paved street, Summers Street, laid in Charleston in 1870.

And, ergo, had the first plate glass window shattered by a thrown brick.

WISCONSIN ... The ice cream sundae was invented here in 1881 to get around Blue Laws prohibiting ice cream from being sold on Sundays.

For a state that is known for selling its Cheese, beer, and brats.....in essence becoming the fart capitol of America why the frak would they be worried about ice cream? (my wife is from Wisconsin. I always get her with that fart capital thing. She admits its true)

WYOMING ... Was the first state to allow women to vote.

....and have regretted it ever since, right?

I hope you enjoyed this. I found it interesting.

I did. I think. Can you tell?

And the original Grand Ole Opry location at the Ryman Theater (built as a church) is one of the most acoustically perfect buildings in the world.

Actually Ryman Auditorium.....but thanks for the nice comment.....they still hold concerts in there...was at one last year to see Allison Krauss and Ralph Stanley.....and yeah, there is something about the sound in that building you don't get many places. The music sounds just a bit sweeter.

Neil Young is playing in solo in June....I plan to attend.

Archived