THE BROWNS BOARD

God hates fags?

One of the most sickening stories in recent memory. I can't believe I am saying this, but give Bill O'Reilly props here. It was a class act.

From across America, the rich and poor are rising to help Albert Snyder battle a bizarre church that has stained the memory of his hero Marine son.

"I was appalled," said Sally Giannini, a 72-year-old retired bookkeeper from Spokane, Wash., told the Baltimore Sun. Giannini told the Sun she was sending $10 to help offset Snyder's $16,510 legal bills.

Snyder was ordered to pay that amount to Fred Phelps, leader of the Westboro Baptist Church in Topeka, Kan., an anti-gay group that travels the country picketing military funerals, after his lawsuit was overturned last week by a federal appeals court, the Sun reported. Phelp's group says military deaths are God's punishment for America's tolerance of homosexuality.

Snyder sued Westboro after its members waved signs saying "God hates fags" and "God hates the USA" at the 2006 funeral in Westminster of his son, Lance Cpl. Matthew Snyder, who had been killed in Iraq.

A federal jury in Baltimore awarded Snyder $11 million in damages in 2007, saying Phelps' group intentionally inflicted emotional distress on the family. The award was later reduced to $5 million, and eventually overturned on appeal. It is currently scheduled to be heard by the U.S. Supreme Court.

As news of the order to pay some of the court costs spread through the news media and online, strangers were moved to send money and set up funds to support Snyder's court battle. Tuesday night, commentator Bill O'Reilly of Fox News Channel offered to pay the court costs owed by Snyder, according to WBAL Radio in Baltimore.

Mark Seavey, new-media director for the American Legion, also posted a message Tuesday on his Legion-affiliated blog, The Burn Pit, urging readers to donate to the Albert Snyder Fund. The American Legion's message was picked up by conservative political blogger Michelle Malkin, who called the Westboro protesters "evil miscreants" and urged readers to donate.

"Regardless of how you feel about the merits of the Snyders' suit, the Snyders deserve to know that Americans are forever grateful for their son's heroism and for the family's sacrifice. We shouldn't stand by and watch them bankrupted," Malkin wrote.

Money from donations will go toward covering the money owed to Phelps, and beyond that, toward preparing further appeals, Seavey said.

"As soon as we heard this, we just knew that it was going to go through the roof, and people were going to be upset. We seized on it," Seavey said. "On an issue like this that cuts across political lines, it's relatively easy, and it's the kind of fight we want to wade into because it's not right or left, it's right or wrong.

"We're going to do the best we can to make sure that Mr. Snyder doesn't have to deal with this. We're going to make sure he doesn't have to pay a red cent."

From Web sites to Twitter pages, people were galled that the grieving father of a fallen Marine would have to pay a group that uses such inflammatory tactics. A Facebook group called "I support Al Snyder in His fight against Westboro Baptist Church" had drawn nearly 12,000 members by the end of the day Tuesday.

In a phone interview with the Sun Tuesday, Snyder said he was "exhausted" by the long legal ordeal but heartened by the outpouring of support. He said he has received about 3,000 e-mail messages from people across the country who planned to contribute.

"It kind of restores your faith in mankind after dealing with this wacko church," Snyder said. "Win or lose, I'll know that I did everything I could for Matt, and for all the soldiers and Marines who are still coming home dying."

F*ck that church. They are the biggest assholes in America. They go around being douchebags and make their money through lawsuits of people that get pissed off at them while they exercise their first amendment rights. As of late, people have been counter-protesting, but that really doesn't accomplish much.

Kudos to this guy, he figured out how to really do something about these pricks. If these assholes protests something near you, please do something like what this guy does.

One of the most sickening stories in recent memory. I can't believe I am saying this, but give Bill O'Reilly props here. It was a class act.

From across America, the rich and poor are rising to help Albert Snyder battle a bizarre church that has stained the memory of his hero Marine son.

"I was appalled," said Sally Giannini, a 72-year-old retired bookkeeper from Spokane, Wash., told the Baltimore Sun. Giannini told the Sun she was sending $10 to help offset Snyder's $16,510 legal bills.

Snyder was ordered to pay that amount to Fred Phelps, leader of the Westboro Baptist Church in Topeka, Kan., an anti-gay group that travels the country picketing military funerals, after his lawsuit was overturned last week by a federal appeals court, the Sun reported. Phelp's group says military deaths are God's punishment for America's tolerance of homosexuality.

Snyder sued Westboro after its members waved signs saying "God hates fags" and "God hates the USA" at the 2006 funeral in Westminster of his son, Lance Cpl. Matthew Snyder, who had been killed in Iraq.

A federal jury in Baltimore awarded Snyder $11 million in damages in 2007, saying Phelps' group intentionally inflicted emotional distress on the family. The award was later reduced to $5 million, and eventually overturned on appeal. It is currently scheduled to be heard by the U.S. Supreme Court.

As news of the order to pay some of the court costs spread through the news media and online, strangers were moved to send money and set up funds to support Snyder's court battle. Tuesday night, commentator Bill O'Reilly of Fox News Channel offered to pay the court costs owed by Snyder, according to WBAL Radio in Baltimore.

Mark Seavey, new-media director for the American Legion, also posted a message Tuesday on his Legion-affiliated blog, The Burn Pit, urging readers to donate to the Albert Snyder Fund. The American Legion's message was picked up by conservative political blogger Michelle Malkin, who called the Westboro protesters "evil miscreants" and urged readers to donate.

"Regardless of how you feel about the merits of the Snyders' suit, the Snyders deserve to know that Americans are forever grateful for their son's heroism and for the family's sacrifice. We shouldn't stand by and watch them bankrupted," Malkin wrote.

Money from donations will go toward covering the money owed to Phelps, and beyond that, toward preparing further appeals, Seavey said.

"As soon as we heard this, we just knew that it was going to go through the roof, and people were going to be upset. We seized on it," Seavey said. "On an issue like this that cuts across political lines, it's relatively easy, and it's the kind of fight we want to wade into because it's not right or left, it's right or wrong.

"We're going to do the best we can to make sure that Mr. Snyder doesn't have to deal with this. We're going to make sure he doesn't have to pay a red cent."

From Web sites to Twitter pages, people were galled that the grieving father of a fallen Marine would have to pay a group that uses such inflammatory tactics. A Facebook group called "I support Al Snyder in His fight against Westboro Baptist Church" had drawn nearly 12,000 members by the end of the day Tuesday.

In a phone interview with the Sun Tuesday, Snyder said he was "exhausted" by the long legal ordeal but heartened by the outpouring of support. He said he has received about 3,000 e-mail messages from people across the country who planned to contribute.

"It kind of restores your faith in mankind after dealing with this wacko church," Snyder said. "Win or lose, I'll know that I did everything I could for Matt, and for all the soldiers and Marines who are still coming home dying."

And he wasn't gay either. Just thought I would put that out there because the title suggests he was.

The appeals court doesn't know what hate speech is? Doesn't know what

harrassment and stalking is?

What?

The Supreme Court will right this nonsense.

F*ck that church. They are the biggest assholes in America. They go around being douchebags and make their money through lawsuits of people that get pissed off at them while they exercise their first amendment rights. As of late, people have been counter-protesting, but that really doesn't accomplish much.

Kudos to this guy, he figured out how to really do something about these pricks. If these assholes protests something near you, please do something like what this guy does.

Love it man. Thanks for the video.

God loves everyone, he doesn't like sin or acts that are sinful in nature. These idiots seem to be proclaiming that God has turned his back on america or to say he no longer is protecting america because of all of the sin such as homo sex and abortions.

They are going about it all wrong in there protests. They should have more respect for those who have fallen and their loved ones who have been left behind.

I try to ignore these people just like I ignore Freddy Mercury with his fag national anthem.

But I am sure somewhere someone is lurking about this thread to proclaim that queers have special rights or something.

God loves everyone, he doesn't like sin or acts that are sinful in nature. These idiots seem to be proclaiming that God has turned his back on america or to say he no longer is protecting america because of all of the sin such as homo sex and abortions.

They're closed-minded, far-right, evangelical idiots.

They are going about it all wrong in there protests. They should have more respect for those who have fallen and their loved ones who have been left behind.

Wait, are you saying that there is some sense of righteousness in what they are standing for?

I try to ignore these people

Oh, cool, me too!

just like I ignore Freddy Mercury with his fag national anthem.

But I am sure somewhere someone is lurking about this thread to proclaim that queers have special rights or something.

Wow, could you be any more bigoted? Gays deserve the same rights as everyone else as far as our government is involved. If the churches don't want to allow them to marry, that's fine, let them piss and moan and protest, but that religious bullshit has no business in defining the laws of a nation established on the separation of church and state.

They're closed-minded, far-right, evangelical idiots.

Evangelism has nothing to do with this.

Or right wing.

I'd enjoy seeing the soldiers families and friends beat the living shit out of these assholes and exonerated under "self defense."

That said I'm a little leery of making the "hate crime" laws even more encompassing.

How long before Obama uses it to punish his political enemies?

WSS

Wow, could you be any more bigoted? Gays deserve the same rights as everyone else as far as our government is involved. Vaportrail

Wrong. READ. T said "SPECIAL RIGHTS". That would be more rights than we have.

Of course they deserve the SAME rights. But NOT "SPECIAL RIGHTS".

These are just extremely hateful and screwed up cult people. Has nothing to do with Christianity.

I still stand by how I've felt about religion for eh... many decades....

" 'Religion' is one of the worst things to ever happen to Christianity"

Calfox

Wrong. READ. T said "SPECIAL RIGHTS". That would be more rights than we have.

Of course they deserve the SAME rights. But NOT "SPECIAL RIGHTS".

Did you read the rest of what he wrote? It was a particularly hateful and bigoted comment, so I felt it worth mentioning, and made it clear that I wasn't one of the ones that said they should have special rights.

Also, do YOU or T think that gays should be allowed to legally marry?

These are just extremely hateful and screwed up cult people. Has nothing to do with Christianity.

The ONLY difference between a cult and a religion is tax-exempt status. Look at scientology, ffs.

I still stand by how I've felt about religion for eh... many decades....

" 'Religion' is one of the worst things to ever happen to humanity"

FTFY

WSS...

I'd enjoy seeing the soldiers families and friends beat the living shit out of these assholes and exonerated under "self defense."

That said I'm a little leery of making the "hate crime" laws even more encompassing.

Who wouldn't? Unfortunately, we live in a time where if you throw a punch, or even spit at these people, you get arrested. Mob justice isn't ever going to be openly supported again. So long as their protests are non-violent, we'll just have to deal with it. I may hate how some people use their first amendment rights, but I sure as hell will support their right to do it.

Who wouldn't? Unfortunately, we live in a time where if you throw a punch, or even spit at these people, you get arrested. Mob justice isn't ever going to be openly supported again. So long as their protests are non-violent, we'll just have to deal with it. I may hate how some people use their first amendment rights, but I sure as hell will support their right to do it.

Unfortunately you can get fired arrested sued etc etc just for calling the wrong person a name.

And since that's not across the board AND the fact that hate crimes make it worse if it's against a select group it does constitute special privileges.

WSS

But I am sure somewhere someone is lurking about this thread to proclaim that queers have special rights or something.[/i]

Wow, could you be any more bigoted? Gays deserve the same rights as everyone else as far as our government is involved. If the churches don't want to allow them to marry, that's fine, let them piss and moan and protest, but that religious bullshit has no business in defining the laws of a nation established on the separation of church and state.

Should I capatalize it or you? "SPECIAL RIGHTS"

So VT thinks that just because someone is against same-sex marriage they are "bigots."

From what you are writing, it appears that you hold prejudices to folks who are religous or hold conservative values. Sorry if I disagree with your thinking VT. What I am saying is I dont want to see their sickness spread about like some voyeuristic pop star who wants to show their genitals all over a stage in front of thousands.

But we can surely see that you feel that some people have special rights. I suppose you also feel that those who attend tea parties or who disagree with the obama health care law are racists also.

I'd like to respond to this.

So VT thinks that just because someone is against same-sex marriage they are "bigots."

Well that depends, if you don't want gays getting married in your church, I don't have a problem with you. If you want to deprive gays of the same perks and benefits that every straight couple has (even if they abuse their children, beat their wife, cheat, or take advantage of welfare), then yes, I have a problem with that line of thinking. Bring up a legitimate reason they shouldn't be allowed to have those same benefits.

From what you are writing, it appears that you hold prejudices to folks who are religous or hold conservative values.

Damn right I have a prejudice against people that let religion be a major influence in their political beliefs. I can't tell you how many people I know that vote solely on the basis of pro-life/pro-choice. There are other more pressing issues in the world, such as the economy and international policies. It wouldn't bug me if abortion stance was a factor in these peoples' votes, but MANY people at my school did vote republican without having any idea what their stance was on the Middle East nor the economy. If you think that abortion affects our country as greatly as matters related to foreign policy and the economy, then I think you're a f*cking idiot.

Bringing it back to gay marriage, once again, I'd like to see a legitimate reason a same-sex couple shouldn't have those same perks as a straight couple. And secondly, why do you even have a problem with it? How the hell does this affect you or your rights? Come up with a legitimate reason for that, too, and maybe I'll come around to accepting your point of view. The problem I have with the religious right is that they have a serious problem thinking for themselves. I can completely understand if you believe that abortion should be outlawed, if you think life begins at conception, and abortion is murder, then that's a very legitimate argument. I can't understand the slightest bit why people like you think gays shouldn't be allowed to legally marry (I'd like to reiterate that this doesn't include your church, only the legal aspect of it). Why not?

I have a hard time respecting religions because they often claim to have all the answers on subjects that no one really has an answer to. They are right because they are right. And when science comes along and shows a bunch of evidence contrary to what's in the Bible, Qu'ran, or whatever ancient text people chose to follow, those that blindly buy into religion often ignore it.

But we can surely see that you feel that some people have special rights.

Nope, just the same rights that every straight person is entitled to, no matter how shitty of a human they may be.

I suppose you also feel that those who attend tea parties or who disagree with the obama health care law are racists also.

I think some of them are racists, like the people that shouted "N*****" to a black congressman after healthcare passed. I think people that are carrying signs that equate Obama to Hitler have no grasp of history. I think that the people who call Obama a communist and a fascist are complete f*cking idiots. But I certainly don't think that all of them are like that. Hell, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say the amount of teabaggers are <5% of the entire community of tea partiers. And that's certainly a far cry from your "sickness" and "Freddy Mercury fag anthem" comments up there. You think gays have an illness, yet studies in the fields of medicine, psychology, biology, and chemistry have all pointed to it not being a disease for the last 40 years. Open up the DSM. And if that isn't what you meant by "sickness", and you were referring to AIDS, then I dare you to try and make a point justifying it.

Archived