THE BROWNS BOARD

Sheldon Brown/Chris Gocong

Ron G.

Just want to take a minute to fill Browns fans in on what they're getting in Gocong & Brown. Let me start by saying I'm a lifelong Eagles fan, but the Browns have long been the AFC team I've "followed" (yes, rooted for, but it's unfair to call myself a fan, when many of you are amazing die-hards!).

In Sheldon, you're getting a guy that shows up to play each week, at 110%, injured or healthy. He hits hard, covers well, and is simply a great leader on and off the field. He's an amazing person, who will be out and about in the Cleveland community. He's very approachable, loves the fans, and is a guy you will all take to very quickly.

Goco is also a great guy. He'll fit better in your defensive system than he did in Philly. He was forced to play out of position at times in Philly, so we never got to see what he could do consistently- just glimpses. He has a work ethic second to none, and just wants to win.

In essence, the Browns made out FAR better than the Eagles did in this trade. Definitely helps that Holmgren & Heckert are Reids buddies. You won't be disappointed in these guys. Now, if you could just get rid of Mangini...

Just want to take a minute to fill Browns fans in on what they're getting in Gocong & Brown. Let me start by saying I'm a lifelong Eagles fan, but the Browns have long been the AFC team I've "followed" (yes, rooted for, but it's unfair to call myself a fan, when many of you are amazing die-hards!).

In Sheldon, you're getting a guy that shows up to play each week, at 110%, injured or healthy. He hits hard, covers well, and is simply a great leader on and off the field. He's an amazing person, who will be out and about in the Cleveland community. He's very approachable, loves the fans, and is a guy you will all take to very quickly.

Goco is also a great guy. He'll fit better in your defensive system than he did in Philly. He was forced to play out of position at times in Philly, so we never got to see what he could do consistently- just glimpses. He has a work ethic second to none, and just wants to win.

In essence, the Browns made out FAR better than the Eagles did in this trade. Definitely helps that Holmgren & Heckert are Reids buddies. You won't be disappointed in these guys. Now, if you could just get rid of Mangini...

facepalm.jpg

thanks a lot for the input ron. we really appreciate you telling us this. holmgren and mangini are both big character guys and it makes sense that these guys have great attitudes. thanks again.

thanks a lot for the input ron. we really appreciate you telling us this. holmgren and mangini are both big character guys and it makes sense that these guys have great attitudes. thanks again.

Mangini, a big character guy? Please tell me I read that wrong! Holmgren, without a doubt. But not Mangini. While I'm an Iggles fan, I'm born, raised, & live in NY. I know alot of people in the Jets organization, as well as some players there under his watch. You won't find many people who were sad to see Mangini go, fewer people that expected him to get another head coaching job. I don't know how long Holmgren puts up with Eric, unless he does a 180 in his coaching philosophy, and drastically improves his people skills.

I think in Heckert and Holmgren, the sky is the limit for this organization.

Mangini, a big character guy? Please tell me I read that wrong! Holmgren, without a doubt. But not Mangini. While I'm an Iggles fan, I'm born, raised, & live in NY. I know alot of people in the Jets organization, as well as some players there under his watch. You won't find many people who were sad to see Mangini go, fewer people that expected him to get another head coaching job. I don't know how long Holmgren puts up with Eric, unless he does a 180 in his coaching philosophy, and drastically improves his people skills.

A lot of us here really like Mangini and respect his coaching style. He also is very much about character, that can't be disputed.

Now, on to something you may know more about: Is it possible for Brown to play free safety? Word is Philly was looking at moving him there before the trade.

A lot of us here really like Mangini and respect his coaching style. He also is very much about character, that can't be disputed.

Now, on to something you may know more about: Is it possible for Brown to play free safety? Word is Philly was looking at moving him there before the trade.

I'm actually surprised there's people that like Mangini there. He's disliked intensely in NY, simply because he would lie to players, and the media's face blatantly, and often.

Brown can play both Safety positions. He actually did cover both spots at times during the past 2 seasons. He's a very intelligent player, with great instincts, and reads receivers & the qb's eyes very well. McDermott was definitely looking to play him more at Safety had he remained an Eagle. Aside from money/contract issues, something that was said today is that he was dealt because McDermott wants to put his own stamp on the defense, and Sheldon's knowledge of Jim Johnson's system, and strong belief in it, could stand in the way of him doing that. It's not something I necessarily buy, knowing Sheldon, but it was something being kicked around.

I can't think of a coach in the league bigger on character than Mangini. There's quite a few ex-jets on this team so I'd say there's quite a few that love playing for him as well. I guess if you dont like disiplin and hard work you probably wont like the guy but you gotta quit listening to that New York media up there, they'll have you beleiving LBJ's gonna be with the Knicks or Nets to. Look at the Jets now, you dont think Mangini left them better off then when he came in?

If you DIDN'T know Mangini was all about character then you certainly don't know anything about this coach. "A lot of people in the Jets' organization"? REALLY? You're starting lose whatever credibility you have with every sentence.

This is a perfect example of the lynch mob mentality that exists nationally because of the overzealous New York/East Coast media.

Not everybody loves Mangie here, and certainly some media don't, but most of the hardcore fans appreciate what he has done to this point and the way he goes about things. He's a no nonsense guy who believes prima donnas are locker room cancers and expects his players to work hard and earn their money. He's a system guy and it looks like his system works.

You won't see too many teams rattle off 4 straight wins to end a year after only winning one game, that speaks a ton toward the attitude in the locker room. He is much more a players coach than given credit for, he just expects his guys to be smart and work.

This is a perfect example of the lynch mob mentality that exists nationally because of the overzealous New York/East Coast media.

Not everybody loves Mangie here, and certainly some media don't, but most of the hardcore fans appreciate what he has done to this point and the way he goes about things. He's a no nonsense guy who believes prima donnas are locker room cancers and expects his players to work hard and earn their money. He's a system guy and it looks like his system works.

You won't see too many teams rattle off 4 straight wins to end a year after only winning one game, that speaks a ton toward the attitude in the locker room. He is much more a players coach than given credit for, he just expects his guys to be smart and work.

True...plus name me one good player on the Jets who hated him? Alan Faneca is a Jet because of Eric Mangini. Kris Jenkins is a Jet because of Eric Mangini. As a matter of fact, Jenkins was vociferous in his displeasure when Mangini was fired.

Most guys on a 1-11 team with starters on IR have the car running ready to mail it in and go home. They don't spend it reeling off 4 wins in bitter conditions. Can you blame him for not being the most bubbly at the podium? Sure, but you can't question the fact that he impressed Mike Holmgren enough to be given another chance.

True...plus name me one good player on the Jets who hated him? Alan Faneca is a Jet because of Eric Mangini. Kris Jenkins is a Jet because of Eric Mangini. As a matter of fact, Jenkins was vociferous in his displeasure when Mangini was fired.

Most guys on a 1-11 team with starters on IR have the car running ready to mail it in and go home. They don't spend it reeling off 4 wins in bitter conditions. Can you blame him for not being the most bubbly at the podium? Sure, but you can't question the fact that he impressed Mike Holmgren enough to be given another chance.

Excellent point!

Look at where you work. Are the biggest "complainers" great employees? Most often (at least in my 45+ years working), they are the under achieving, malcontent, self serving, NON team players. When I was in management, I instructed my staff members to NEVER complain to me about ANYTHING unless they also brought a suggestion for improvement/resolution. The biggest complainers most often have NO suggestions, so they complained JUST to complain. They never brought anything to the table. Too many solid, high character players followed Mangini for me to buy the complaints.

Mike

Ron,

Thanks for the info. In regards to your comments about Mangini, all you need to do is look at your own words in your post. Brown -- "shows up to play each week at 110%; Goco -- "work ethic second to none, and just wants to win". That's Mangini in a nutshell.

These are guys that Heckert knows, yes, but they are the type of guys Mangini has been trying to bring in to establish his culture. I'm afraid your opinion of Mangini was influenced by the media. Thankfully, around these parts, we are starting to see through that facade and are recognizing Mangini for what he is: a damn good coach who understands that to build a long-term winner, you need football players not guys who happen to play football.

A lot of us on this board respect the hell out of Eric Mangini for his willingness to roll up his sleeves and do the dirty work of overhauling the "country club, devil may care" attitude around Berea. For many weeks he was unfairly slammed by local and national media, but he stayed the course and the worst is behind us.

Again, Ron, thanks for the info, but leave your Mangini hatin' on the East Coast. This is Cleveland and we're behind our head coach and the front office for the first time in a looooong time.

Fine, if you want to come in and talk about the players coming in, but don't think you can come here and start dissing OUR coach. Show me one Jet who talked bad about Mangini..kerry Rhodes//how did that work out for that sissy..got his ass shipped out. Hey, Browns fans have come to appriciate the coach and the fact he had the BALLS to stand up for his plan and guess what, WE Browns fans saw a team that busted their balls and didn't lose a game in December minus a hell of a lot of starters..We are glad to have to high character guys from Philly and welcome but stay off the coach.

I'm glad most fans in NY hate Mangini.

Most fans in Cleveland hated Belichick.

How'd that work out second time around?

Zombo

--Anybody who wins four straight games with that cast we had at the end of the season should get coach of the year.

hey i live in new york but was born and raised in ohio....therefore a diehard browns fan, first off i don;t know anyone in ny that would ever mumble the word "eagle's fan" in a public place, talk about getting ripped a new ahole. only fans nyers hate worse than philly is boston. i hangout with both jets and giant fans. giants have always been consistent since the parcell years but the jets have struggled year to year. until mangini. he brought in disciplined defense and an offensive line. last year he even gave them a gift with a draft pick to land sanchez. ny media is the shart of the industry. might as well have TMZ running our news. absolute garbage.

"The media" has not helped form my opinion of Mangini, as I spent many years around the Jets at Hofstra, as a former member of the media, myself. I'm very capable of forming my own opinions. It's easy to bring up the Kerry Rhodes/Damien Woody remarks towards Mangini, as those are guys that could never keep their mouths shut, period. But some of the same guys people have mentioned in this thread who Mangini brought to the Jets are the same ones who tired of him(Faneca, most notable, had a very tense relationship with him towards the end), and his schtick, and had some influence in his termination. Mangini would meet with a certain small group of veterans weekly(of which Jenkins and Faneca were a part), and they'd tell him that they couldn't keep up with the training camp-like practices, that they felt it was the reason guys were getting injured, or looked lethargic in games, especially as the season wound down. His 4-12 record in year 2 with the Jets was much more indicative of his stamp on the team, and his late season collapse in '08 did nothing to help validate his first years 10-6 record, either. And as far as him "impressing" Holmgren, don't read too much into that. He's going to have to change some of his philosophies to suit what Holmgren wants to do, and keep in mind that Holmgrens always believed that a coach needs more than a year in an organization to show what he can do. I expect the Browns to be alot better, but I would say that the Holmgren/Heckert front office may have more to do with it than Mangini's leadership.

If Brett Favre had not hurt his arm near the middle or end of the 2008 season, that Jets team would have gone on to the playoffs, and every fairweathered NewYawk Jets fan, and their media, would have still loved Mangini.

Simple: winning cures all.

"The media" has not helped form my opinion of Mangini, as I spent many years around the Jets at Hofstra, as a former member of the media, myself. I'm very capable of forming my own opinions. It's easy to bring up the Kerry Rhodes/Damien Woody remarks towards Mangini, as those are guys that could never keep their mouths shut, period. But some of the same guys people have mentioned in this thread who Mangini brought to the Jets are the same ones who tired of him(Faneca, most notable, had a very tense relationship with him towards the end), and his schtick, and had some influence in his termination. Mangini would meet with a certain small group of veterans weekly(of which Jenkins and Faneca were a part), and they'd tell him that they couldn't keep up with the training camp-like practices, that they felt it was the reason guys were getting injured, or looked lethargic in games, especially as the season wound down. His 4-12 record in year 2 with the Jets was much more indicative of his stamp on the team, and his late season collapse in '08 did nothing to help validate his first years 10-6 record, either. And as far as him "impressing" Holmgren, don't read too much into that. He's going to have to change some of his philosophies to suit what Holmgren wants to do, and keep in mind that Holmgrens always believed that a coach needs more than a year in an organization to show what he can do. I expect the Browns to be alot better, but I would say that the Holmgren/Heckert front office may have more to do with it than Mangini's leadership.

I find that hard to beleive the Jets were one of if not the least injured team in the league while Mangini was coach

Your post was fine up until that part about Mangini, Mangini is great and there isn't anything more you could ask for from a coach.

I made a long post defending Mangini a long while ago(some time in the winter), if I find it I'll post it, it just shows why Mangini is good and how he was vital to the Jets success, as well as how his core is still there.

I'm glad most fans in NY hate Mangini.

Most fans in Cleveland hated Belichick.

How'd that work out second time around?

Zombo

--Anybody who wins four straight games with that cast we had at the end of the season should get coach of the year.

And as a note; How many starters were replaced since the beginning of the 2009 season.

Its funny that a few weeks ago we were worried about our corners and all of sudden we are good to go. Now if we could only say that about our Safety's. I was happy about getting Elam last year until i saw him play and get constantly burnt.

Easy there playerjdd. Elam was babysitting two CBs and a few LBs all year and him getting burnt wasn't all on him. A lot of times it looked like him getting burnt because by the time the camera got to him, he was involved in the play. Truth is, he came from across the field a lot to help out whichever CB got burnt. And he was also asked to stop the run last year and that took him "out of position" too. I think he will be pretty good with some talent playing on that side of the ball. Brown, Fujita, and whatever picks we get should allow him to just play. Elam gets a bad rap but he really is a solid SS and is still young.

Easy there playerjdd. Elam was babysitting two CBs and a few LBs all year and him getting burnt wasn't all on him. A lot of times it looked like him getting burnt because by the time the camera got to him, he was involved in the play. Truth is, he came from across the field a lot to help out whichever CB got burnt. And he was also asked to stop the run last year and that took him "out of position" too. I think he will be pretty good with some talent playing on that side of the ball. Brown, Fujita, and whatever picks we get should allow him to just play. Elam gets a bad rap but he really is a solid SS and is still young.

Excellent point & it's one we all forget too often. Apply the same thought to the draft & QB & WRs. How many later round "diamonds in the rough" are out there in the shape of QBs with no receivers and/or line & how about the WRs who had no QB or played for a Woody Hayes type Coach who runs, runs, & runs some more. In other words, no supporting cast to showcase their talents. THAT'S what intrigues me about the draft..Finding those sleepers.

Mike

I still like Elam too. If we get Berry, to play along with Sheldon Brown, Elam will be a different asset for us next season. I'm so glad that every safety we have had depart from us since our return to the league are gone. We haven't even had a safety yet, just fillers.

I like Nate Allen who we can probably get in round 2.

Mills has a good article posted about our workout with him a few slots down the board.

He might become a target for a trade up back in to the later stages of round 1.

Archived