THE BROWNS BOARD

I know there are a couple of Domers in here...

Guest mz.

It hasn't been a lot of fun being an Irish fan. Things were never the same since Lou Holtz left. RAC and Weis need to both be unemployed.

"EXACTLY" the days of winning for ND have been gone for awhile now. Lou was great and they had some superstar players back then. Winingham and Weis have not been what the doctor ordered and Im really not sold on Clausen.

I was actually more upset about the last 5 minutes of the Navy game than the loss today, but both losses showed a decided lack of discipline in key areas that don't really require a dominance in ability.

We (Domers) are in a tough spot. Weis is not on the hot seat, despite what ESPN wants to report; he will get another year, and if at the end of that year the program isn't turned around, then the alum will have his head.

The real problem with Notre Dame football isn't the program itself, it's the administrations refusal to change the approach we have in recruiting. The Florida's, Texas', Michigan's, and Ohio State's of the football universe play on an open field of possibilities in recruiting by having a lower academic standard. Notre Dame's football legacy won't be reborn until... well, to be blunt... we lower our academic standards.

This loss hurts. A win next week would make all the pain worth it though =D

GO IRISH!

I was actually more upset about the last 5 minutes of the Navy game than the loss today, but both losses showed a decided lack of discipline in key areas that don't really require a dominance in ability.

Amen.

After Navy, I wasn't surprised yesterday. But if we get rid of Weiss....what's next?

The Florida's, Texas', Michigan's, and Ohio State's of the football universe play on an open field of possibilities in recruiting by having a lower academic standard. Notre Dame's football legacy won't be reborn until... well, to be blunt... we lower our academic standards.

Perhaps. But how does this explain Jimmy Claussen, a top recruit, sucking so very badly? There's more to it than "high academic standards"...

The real problem with Notre Dame football isn't the program itself, it's the administrations refusal to change the approach we have in recruiting. The Florida's, Texas', Michigan's, and Ohio State's of the football universe play on an open field of possibilities in recruiting by having a lower academic standard. Notre Dame's football legacy won't be reborn until... well, to be blunt... we lower our academic standards.

If this is indeed the case, then how exactly have they been able to get such highly rated classes the past 3 years?

If this is indeed the case, then how exactly have they been able to get such highly rated classes the past 3 years?

1. You're insane if you think Clausen, a sophmore, sucks. He's looked like a winner, and is one of the bright spots on the team.

2. How do we explain such a highly rated class the last three years? We don't have to. It's Notre Dame, historicaly one of the top 3 programs in the history of college football, and the only program with its own television network. Notre Dame will always get players. Notre Dame would get A LOT more players if we had some of the same academic structures that the other big football programs have. Don't believe me, do the research for yourself if you're interested. Don't look at GPA, look at what the athletes have to take, the types of courses they have to take, and how the admissions office is connected to the athletic department... at Notre Dame the admissions office is COMPLETELY independant of the athletic department, something not true at the other big programs.

The problem is this. We set out to have a world class football program and compete with the big guys, while at the same time having a world class academic program that demanded the same as the very highest academic oriented athletic programs (Stanford, Northwestern)... we have failed in BOTH catagories. It's time for the powers that be at the univeristy to choose one, and stick to it; I think we've proven you can't have both.

BTW, this is brought up just about every year at alum meetings.

1. You're insane if you think Clausen, a sophmore, sucks. He's looked like a winner.

Haven't you eclipsed the most losses in a 2-year period for the program? And am I hallucinating, or has Clausen been under center for most of those games?

Guess I'm insane.

Archived