THE BROWNS BOARD

Bob Huggins

Earl34

I have to say that I've never been a fan of Bobby Huggins but I may be after this.

I've always commented to my wife and friends that it bothers me that more college coaches don't run out to an obviously injured player. After all, as parents we allow our child to play for this person and implicit in that contract is the idea that they will act as a surrogate parent. I often measure my like or dislike of a college coach based on whether I would want my kid to play for that coach. Shifty-eyed guys like Jim Calhoun who only care about winning and their own legacy? No. Bob Huggins impressed me with his caring and the tears he showed when he got up. My kid can play for him any time. Color me extremely impressed.

I have to say that I've never been a fan of Bobby Huggins but I may be after this.

I've always commented to my wife and friends that it bothers me that more college coaches don't run out to an obviously injured player. After all, as parents we allow our child to play for this person and implicit in that contract is the idea that they will act as a surrogate parent. I often measure my like or dislike of a college coach based on whether I would want my kid to play for that coach. Shifty-eyed guys like Jim Calhoun who only care about winning and their own legacy? No. Bob Huggins impressed me with his caring and the tears he showed when he got up. My kid can play for him any time. Color me extremely impressed.

You got Jimmy Calhoun all wrong, Earl. You should know. Look at what he does off the field to get a sense of this guy's inner workings.

You got Jimmy Calhoun all wrong, Earl. You should know. Look at what he does off the field to get a sense of this guy's inner workings.

I'm not a fan John. He didn't need Kirk King and he never played again. He needed Ricky Moore and Ricky's playing PG for the first national championship. His discipline is inconsistent and that drives me nuts. I will say this though...I may not be a Calhoun fan but I am even less of an Auriemma fan.

He and his wife donated to the Calhoun Center at UConn Health Center (and he can be applauded for that) but I don't like the kinds of players he recruits and how he manages them.

.......but I don't like the kinds of players he recruits and how he manages them.

Fair enough, Earl. IMHO - and with several notable exceptions, his players are decent students and have represented the program pretty well. Okafor is one example.

It is interesting to see the press here dislike both Calhoun and Edsall but for completely different reasons. They believe Calhoun is too lenient with his players (and too rough with them) and Edsall too severe with his players (and tight lipped with the press).

Personally, I couldn't care less about Auriemma. Someday he might get a chance to prove he's a good basketball coach.

Fair enough, Earl. IMHO - and with several notable exceptions, his players are decent students and have represented the program pretty well. Okafor is one example.

It is interesting to see the press here dislike both Calhoun and Edsall but for completely different reasons. They believe Calhoun is too lenient with his players (and too rough with them) and Edsall too severe with his players (and tight lipped with the press).

Personally, I couldn't care less about Auriemma. Someday he might get a chance to prove he's a good basketball coach.

I know a few close friends who've 'dealt' with Geno at charity events and said he has no clue when to shut off the profanity and the South Philly Show.

I agree with you about the dichotomy for the two different coaches. I like Edsall as a coach although I saw a nasty side of him last year when he didn't get a recruit he wanted. Nonetheless, I like what he's done with the program.

Archived