THE BROWNS BOARD

Pre-Draft Depth Chart

The Gipper

Here is what I come up with as the Browns current depth chart on its current roster. I am sure I have some thing bass ackward. Let me know what corrections you come up with:

OFFENSE:

Quarterback: Jake DelHomme, Seneca Wallace, Bret Ratliff

Running backs: Jerome Harrison, Chris Jennings, James Davis, Jed Collins, Thomas Brown

Fullbacks: Lawrence Vickers, Peyton Hillis

Tight End: Ben Watson, Robert Royal, Evan Moore, Greg Estandia

Wide Receiver: MoMass, Chanci Stuckey, Jake Allen

Wide Receiver: Brian Robiskie, Josh Cribbs, Syndric Steptoe

LOT: Joe Thomas, Jason Cappizzi

LOG: Eric Steinbach, Scott Kooistra, Pat Murray

C: Alex Mack

ROG: Pork Chop Womack, Billy Yates

ROT: Tony Pashos, John St. Clair

DEFENSE:

Def. End: Robaire Smith, David Veikune, Brian Schaefering

Nose Tackle: Shaun Rogers, Ahtyba Rubin, Titus Adams, Jonathan Lewis

Def. End: Kenyon Coleman, C.J. Mosley, Keith Grennard, Derrick Robinson

OLB: Matt Roth

ILB: Scott Fujita, Jason Trusnik, Blake Costanzo

ILB: D'Qwell Jackson, Eric Barton, Kaiuka Maiava, Marcus Bernard

OLB: Chris Gocung, Titus Brown

Free Safety: Abram Elam, Gerard Lawson

Strong Safety: Coy Francies, Nick Sorensen, Raymond Ventrone

Corner: Sheldon Brown, Brandon McDonald, John Bowie, Matteral Richardson

Corner: Eric Wright, Mike Adams, Ramzee Robinson, Chris Roberson

SPECIAL TEAMS:

Punter: Dave Zastudil, Reggie Hodges

Kicker: Phil Dawson

Long Snapper: Ryan Pontbriand

Kick returner: Josh Cribbs

Punt returner: Josh Cribbs

OK, so, feel free to tear this apart. Let us know who I have out of position. Sometimes on these roster listing they only list guys as DB, or DL, or LB and I am not sure which exact position they may have played.

A couple of notes: nowhere did I see a backup center to Mack listed. I assume one of the guys listed at OG would handle that role. I only saw 3 OLBs listed, but I guess one of those many defensive ends may also handle the OLB position, or some of the guys listed as ILBs.

Also, use this to point out where we really need help in the draft. Can you say: Safety, D line, and ROL.

Also, feel free to point out which of these guys will likely be gonzo before the season for sure.

Have at it.

Steptoe's still on the roster?

Veikune is a LB not DE

And I change some things with the depth at Lb and switch Abe to SS and Coye to FS maybe even play Bmac at FS

I consulted two different lists, one had Veikune at DE, but the Browns official site had him at LB, so LB it is. And on Elam and Francies, that is one of the areas where they just had them listed as DBs. I thought these two were safeties, but not sure whether strong or free.

Veikune played DE at U of Hawaii but we have been using him at OLB but he can be used at DE kinda like Denver's Dumervill but with alot less skills. As for Francies I am pretty sure he played CB at San Jose St. but seeing that we have no depth at Safety he can be used there. Also do we still have Furry at the slot WR?? Was he on a 1 yr contract??

Hillis will be one of our featured running backs, not a backup fullback! lol

I agree, and at the least, he is ahead of Vickers. We didn't trade for the guy to have him be a back-up fullback.

I agree, and at the least, he is ahead of Vickers. We didn't trade for the guy to have him be a back-up fullback.

I think that Hillis is really a "flex" player. He'll be a HB sometimes and a FB at others.

I think that the guys who need to be looking over their shoulders are Ratliff, Jennings, Furrey, Stuckey, Royal, St. Clair, Womack, Robaire Smith, Grennan, Ventrone, Sorensen, McDonald, Poteat and perhaps one linebacker such as Maiava.

Veikune played DE at U of Hawaii but we have been using him at OLB but he can be used at DE kinda like Denver's Dumervill but with alot less skills. As for Francies I am pretty sure he played CB at San Jose St. but seeing that we have no depth at Safety he can be used there. Also do we still have Furry at the slot WR?? Was he on a 1 yr contract??

Furrey is not on the roster, so he must be out of here.

I think that Hillis is really a "flex" player. He'll be a HB sometimes and a FB at others.

I think that the guys who need to be looking over their shoulders are Ratliff, Jennings, Furrey, Stuckey, Royal, St. Clair, Womack, Robaire Smith, Grennan, Ventrone, Sorensen, McDonald, Poteat and perhaps one linebacker such as Maiava.

Poteat and Furrey are not on the roster now.

Hillis will be one of our featured running backs, not a backup fullback! lol

I guess that how he will be used and where he will be slated on the depth chart are two different things. His versatility makes him essentially a "Backup" fullback, halfback, and tight end. Someone said H-back, which is just kind of a flexible offensive player, isn't it?

Who in the hell are Jed Collins and Thomas Brown?

But what I wanted to point out is that we have too many RBs and TEs. I'm not sure which TE or which two we will be parting with but my guess is Royal and maybe Moore? With the RBs, we have to trim the fat there a little bit and I can see the backfield being Davis, Hillis, and Jennings with a few packages with Hillis at FB. That right there would be a WCO type of package with two more potential recievers on the field. Harrison will probably be packaged with a pick or two so we can move up in the draft. Maybe even get another 1st but most likely, another 2nd. And it sure looks nice with Delhomme, Fujita, Watson, and Brown's names in there now!

Who in the hell are Jed Collins and Thomas Brown?

But what I wanted to point out is that we have too many RBs and TEs. I'm not sure which TE or which two we will be parting with but my guess is Royal and maybe Moore? With the RBs, we have to trim the fat there a little bit and I can see the backfield being Davis, Hillis, and Jennings with a few packages with Hillis at FB. That right there would be a WCO type of package with two more potential recievers on the field. Harrison will probably be packaged with a pick or two so we can move up in the draft. Maybe even get another 1st but most likely, another 2nd. And it sure looks nice with Delhomme, Fujita, Watson, and Brown's names in there now!

I actually thought Evan Moore did a hell of a job when he was in there last year, for a backup TE.

I actually thought Evan Moore did a hell of a job when he was in there last year, for a backup TE.

Was that him that made those catches in his first game as a Brown? I get him and Estandia mixed-up. Either way, one of them will have to go. 4 TEs holding roster spots is a little excessive.

What I don't get is the amount of people clamoring for us to draft McClain, considering how many ILBs we already have.

I suspect it may be because they believe he might be an upgrade from all of them. And I, for one, believe we need an upgrade in that department, despite the numbers we have. If we could put all six of them in there at a time, they might be able to stop the run, but last time I checked the rules only allow essentially two.

I suspect it may be because they believe he might be an upgrade from all of them. And I, for one, believe we need an upgrade in that department, despite the numbers we have. If we could put all six of them in there at a time, they might be able to stop the run, but last time I checked the rules only allow essentially two.

Not if we run the elusive 1-8-2 defense. 1 down lineman, 6 ILBs, 2 OLBs, and 2 safeties. Corners be damned.

Evan Moore isng going anywhere. It'll be Watson, Moore and Royal

Jerome Harrison is going anywhere either. We do however have plenty RBs. I can see Harrison starting with Hillis backing him up... in and out at FB mostley. This position is a tough one to call, Harrison has always shown production in my eye... and Davis and Jennings are young talented backs who have shown potential. I'm interested to see whats going to happen here. I am glad however that J.Lewis has stepped aside for these young guys to shine.

What I don't get is the amount of people clamoring for us to draft McClain, considering how many ILBs we already have.

Four quarters is better than 10 dimes if you can only use 4of them.

Not if we run the elusive 1-8-2 defense. 1 down lineman, 6 ILBs, 2 OLBs, and 2 safeties. Corners be damned.

Hey, that's a plan. It should be tried. It is like when Pat Riley said, "I don't want centers, point guards, forwards, I just want 5 guys who are 6'8 or 6'9 who can play basketball and who can be interchangeable in their positions."

Archived