THE BROWNS BOARD

Maurice Clarett closer to release back into the public

ATENEARS

Judge's ruling puts former Ohio State football star Maurice Clarett closer to release

By Plain Dealer wire services

April 08, 2010, 6:30AM

maurice-clarettjpg-7f9684504aef9a9c_medi

COLUMBUS -- A judge Wednesday cleared the way for ex-Ohio State football star Maurice Clarett to move to a smaller detention facility in Columbus, which could lead to his release within a few months.

Asked by Franklin County Common Pleas Judge David Fais if he had anything to say, Clarett cleared his throat and said, "I'd like to say I'm humbled."

Clarett, who led the Buckeyes to the 2002 national championship in his only college season, served 3 1/2 years in prison for aggravated robbery and carrying a concealed weapon.

Fais said Clarett, 26, had met terms of his original sentencing when he pleaded guilty in September 2006 and permitted the move to Maryhaven, a community-based correction facility.

"He's very grateful he's been released," said his attorney, Michael Hoague. "Still, he's incarcerated, so it's a blend of emotions."

Officials at the facility will evaluate Clarett's employment, education and family considerations. He will be there at least four months but no more than six before being released, pending good behavior, Fais said.

Prosecutors did not argue against Clarett's move to the facility.

"He did have a good prison record," Franklin County Prosecutor Ron O'Brien said Tuesday night.

Hoague said Clarett had taken classes on geriatrics and gerontology while in prison and hoped to work with older adults.

Clarett pleaded guilty in September 2006 to having a gun hidden in his SUV and holding up two people outside a Columbus bar in a separate case. He was sentenced to 7 1/2 years in prison with possible release in 3 1/2 years.

Clarett was a standout running back from Warren who was selected as a national player of the year by one publication.

He never played another college game after scoring the winning touchdown in Ohio State's 31-24 double-overtime win over Miami in the 2003 Fiesta Bowl, the Buckeyes' first national title since 1968.

I'd rather not even see him attempt a football comback of any sort. The guy needs to learn some skills and get busy on living the rest of the life in front of him and leave the past in the past. I wish him the best, hope to hear of a success story someday. He won't be the last great young athlete to fall on his ass, but could serve as a good role model if he learns from his mistakes and makes something of himself. His mother sounded like a real solid person, I feel for her.

I'd rather not even see him attempt a football comback of any sort. The guy needs to learn some skills and get busy on living the rest of the life in front of him and leave the past in the past. I wish him the best, hope to hear of a success story someday. He won't be the last great young athlete to fall on his ass, but could serve as a good role model if he learns from his mistakes and makes something of himself. His mother sounded like a real solid person, I feel for her.

Rich4Eagle owes me $2,109.00.

Zombo

Hmmm

if the Broncos still have rights to him, maybe he can be another throw in in the Hilis/Quinn trade

Just Kidding

Nothing wrong with him using the skills he has to make some Money upon release. Jobs not easily came by to Ex Cons. I Watched him all thru HS seen all his games...a Freaking BEAST of a Player. Humbled is a good statement ... Sadly even his HS Teammates weren't close to him. Hope whatever he does , that he never ends up in Prison again.

Archived