THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns like Dwyer

Browns57

Browns have sights set on Georgia Tech RB Dwyer 8:07 a.m.

By Carlos “Big C” Holmes, Staff Writer

Updated 8:07 AM Monday, April 12, 2010

The Cleveland Browns will be looking to bolster their rushing attack in the upcoming NFL draft. The team is hoping to land a big, physical runner to replace veteran Jamal Lewis.

Georgia Tech junior running back Jonathan Dwyer fits the mold and is said to be high on the team’s list of prospects. There are those who believe Dwyer could pound-for-pound be the best running back prospect in this year’s draft.

The 6-foot, 225-pound Dwyer’s draft stock took a nosedive after running a subpar 40 time at the Scouting Combine in February. Dwyer redeemed himself at his Pro Day a few weeks later, running the 40-yard dash in the high 4.4’s and low 4.5’s to elevate his draft status.

Browns running backs coach Gary Brown worked the player out at the school’s pro day and they have kept in close contact.

“I think I would do well in Cleveland,” Dwyer said in a recent interview. “They know what I can do and what I bring to the table. It’s just a matter of what type of running back they need in their organization. If they draft me, I’m going to learn the playbook as fast as I can and get ready to compete.”

Cleveland is not alone in its interest. Dwyer has visited San Diego, Houston and Philadelphia. He’s scheduled to work out privately with Atlanta today, April 12, and New England on April 18.

The poor 40 time is obviously the reason behind Dwyer being downgraded among his peers. The running back broke a toe on his right foot in Georgia Tech’s Orange Bowl loss to Iowa. He was limited in his training for six weeks prior to the combine. Less than 100 percent healthy, Dwyer was advised by his trainer not to partake in drills at Indianapolis, but his competitive nature got the best of him.

“I wanted to go out there and compete and show that I am a competitor,” he said. “I wanted to do my best despite the circumstances. I didn’t perform the way I hope to but had something to prove.”

If teams are making their draft decision based on Dwyer’s combine performance and not studying his college film they’ll likely get burnt. Production-wise he ranks near the top in his class rushing for 1,395 yards in back-to-back seasons and 26 touchdowns.

When you look at the back on film there is no denying he has the ability to become a premiere runner in the league.

“I have the attitude of coming in and being productive no matter what team drafts me,” Dwyer said. “I’m mentally ready to play at the next level and ready to pursue my dream of playing pro ball. I think I am well suited for any offense and can adjust to any scheme and could do a lot of good things.”

Cleveland adding Dwyer to the backfield mix with current runner Jerome Harrison would provide the team with a nice one-two punch.

Dwyer is projected as a second-round pick, while backs such as Ryan Mathews (Fresno State) and Jahvid Best (Cal) — both with injury-riddled careers — carry first-round grades. The running back could use the oversight as fuel for the fire.

“All I need is an opportunity,” Dwyer said. “It doesn’t matter if I go in the first or second round. It would be great to be a first-round pick, but if it’s the second round so be it. I will just use it as motivation to prove everybody wrong and the skepticism about me.”

When looking at Dwyers stats over the last two years you can't help but be impressed with the overall rushing numbers. However when playing the best defenses on their schedule, (Georgia, Iowa, etc) he was held under 50 yards rushing. That and the fact that he was only a full time starter for two years bring in a little concern IMO.

I have been impressed with Dwyer since hearing him a few months ago on NFL radio. What i was more impressed with was his squat number. Dude squats 700+ which is a crazy number for a RB. Alot of OLineneman cant put a number like that up. He has a likeable personality and a gym rat. He will be a gem for whoever gets him.

I am really liking this kid. For such a big guy, he has great feet. What made Bettis, Alstott and J. Lewis stand out so much wasn't their size, it was the quick feet to go along with that size. This kid has great feet and I would love, love, love to have him on this team. I thought he was projected to go in the late 1st round though?

Archived