THE BROWNS BOARD

3-4 Defensive End Question

cribbs is the man

I saw talk of us having interest in Penn State's 6'5 305 pound DE Jared Odrick since he is an "ideal" 3-4 DE. Given that the defensive line in a 3-4 is mainly there to occupy blockers and free up linebackers to make plays, it made me wonder how much impact Odrick could possibly have as a first round pick? I understand there has to be some skill involved to be a 3-4 DE, but how important is that position to our defense? Wouldnt it be smarter just to find big bodies in late rounds to "occupy blockers" and go after more important positions? or am I missing something...

If your coming from the Bill Bellichek coaching tree its very important

Bill took Richard Seymour in the first rd.

last year Denver took Robert Ayers

last year Kansas City took Tyson Jackson

I think were the only team with ex-Patriots front office or coaches that havent taken a DE in the first rd.

Tom Dimitroff in Atlanta hasnt taken one yet but in 07 they took Jamal Williams a year before he got there

3-4 defensive linemen are important and hard to find. A good 3-4 end is obviously heavier than his 4-3 counterpart. At a minimum he has to hold his gap position but guys like Seymour are frankly disruptive. In one sense they do "eat up blockers" but on the other hand there aren't many plays in a 3-4 scheme that rely on ONLY 3 down linemen to get pressure. You're taking out a down lineman from the 4-3 and substituting a more versatile linebacker. In most cases, you're at least rushing a fourth rusher (LB) but the offense doesn't always know who that is going to be pre-snap.

Archived